ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Left Hand 12ga Beretta A400 Action
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:03 am 
Limited Edition

I just received my new gun from Joel Etchen Guns yesterday. Of course, I had to bust a few backyard clays immediately. It's a fine looking gun, just the LOP isn't long enough for me. I have a recoil pad on order to remedy that. I'm glad Beretta finally stepped up to acknowledge us Southpaws with a this offering. She shoots and looks like a winner, so far.

It doesn't have that silly round counter/thermometer shoved in its butt, either. :lol:

Post subject: Re: New Left Hand 12ga Beretta A400 Action
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:14 am 
Tournament Grade

Congrats on the new gun. I'm looking at getting one. I would like to hear any reports on how it shoots etc.. And yes it is nice to see Beretta stepping up and making a LH gun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

The Beretta web site doesn't show anything in left-hand shotguns - not surprising. Which model is it, or will the left-hand be available in all versions? Thinking of trading my left-hand Benelli and my 391 Gold Sporting for the left-hand if I can get one with 30" barrels for Sporting Clays. Maybe more info after the SHOT show.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:07 pm 
Limited Edition

It's the a400 Action/28" bbl...29" if you use extended chokes. It sports the optional kick off recoil system and weighs 7lbs even.

I intend to use it for sporting clays...close as I get to actually hunting.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

DragonNester -
Forgot to ask if the stock comes with shims to adjust cast and drop? If so, any chance the shims are the same as for the 391? I have a custom 70 mm shim for drop on my 391 Sporting I would hope to fit on the 400. I am really interested in the left-hand 400 and look forward to hearing about your experiences!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:29 am 
Limited Edition

Yes it comes with an extra shim and plate. I have no idea about crossover ability with the 391.

I look forward to shooting some SC and trap with my new tool. I'll wait until I get my Left Hand Birchwood Casey Save It Shell Catcher before heading to the trap field. I put the Limbsaver on last night and gained 5/16" approx LOP. To gain more LOP, I have a 1/2" Xtrema A400 spacer (Part # C5C675) that mates perfectly to the oem pad or the Limbsaver. I had to get longer screws for installation. Might try it if the gun still feels crowded against my shoulder.

BTW, Beretta makes a 2" extended choke that fits the A400...a way to get 30" from a 28" barrel.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

DragonNester
Thanks for the input! Looks like it is time to sell a few things to get a new toy. Ah, the search never ends!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:52 am 
Limited Edition

USAFA71 wrote:
DragonNester
Thanks for the input! Looks like it is time to sell a few things to get a new toy. Ah, the search never ends!

I switched out the Limbsaver pad for the 1/2" Xtrema spacer and oem pad. I got the 147/8"-15" LOP you expressed wanting. I had to use 5mmx30mm std. allen head screws to take up the extra depth. I couldn't find the same style of Philips head screws Beretta used. Worked out fine, though. If you don't go with the Kick Off recoil system, longer wood screws are the ticket. To be honest, I like the Beretta pad better than the Limbsaver...less grabby when mounting the gun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for the input - I think! Looks like the bank account is about to take a hit- at least until I can sell a few things. If I get in trouble for this, I am blaming you! But I will enjoy the Beretta!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:47 pm 
Limited Edition

It's better to ask forgiveness than permission. :twisted:

Merry Christmas!! :B3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:37 pm 
Utility Grade

DragonNester,

I did not see this offered on the Beretta Web site. Is this some type of special order? Also what is the cost for this sweet LH gun.

GooseChaser1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:20 pm 
Limited Edition

Go to Joel Etchen Guns for details and their current price. It's a standard issue (non-special) new shotgun for Beretta (bout time) and it is sweet shooting, with really nice wood! It doesn't come with extended chokes though...like what's on mine.

Beretta just hasn't updated its website to include it.
https://www.joeletchenguns.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:54 pm 
Utility Grade

DragonNester,

Thank you for the information, I checked out the web site, not a bad price, might have to make the move.

GooseChaser1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:33 pm 
Limited Edition

The listed price on JEG website is MSRP only. Check your PM's.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:19 pm 
Limited Edition

Will a Briley extended bolt release made for the rh model fit the lh model?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gunnut wrote:
Will a Briley extended bolt release made for the rh model fit the lh model?

I don't know, but would like to, also!

I just sent Briley an email asking this question. I'll post the answer when I get one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:16 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks, Robin. I'm thinking it should work just upside down, but not sure.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Briley rep. (Ryan) responded to my email and he said it should work, but being they haven't tried it on a LH model they weren't 100% sure. He also said if it doesn't work it could be returned..no charge. I went ahead and ordered one. I did look up the OEM version on a schematic and saw no listing for a LH version...the one fits both LH and RH I assume from that. The Briley handle looks to be ambidextrous to me. Stay turned.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:38 pm 
Limited Edition

Robin,
Thanks for the info. My LH is on order so I have some time before installing the new release. If you have time, let me know whether it works. I've installed several rh releases over the years so should be able to do the lh if it works. Hope it works for you....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gunnut, So you don't hold your breath waiting for my reivew of the Briley bolt release and its installation, I decided against the bolt release for now. I did keep the order for the extended Briley charging handle mainly because it's such a pita to remove the OEM one for bolt extraction. I should be able to grip the Briley version much better to extract it.

I think you're going to really like you LH A400...Mine is my go to weapon, over my 686 O/U.