ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is there such a thing as a Left Handed Butt?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:06 pm 
Limited Edition

I see the thread below about the handedness of an O/U being in the stock, but does that apply to the butt as well? In other words, is there such a thing as a left and right handed butts?

By way of background, I just took up clay shooting about a month ago. I haven't handled a long firearm since high school. I've taken a few lessons and, we've figured out that I'm strongly left eyed although I do everything right handed. Since I have no significant experience shooting from one side or another, we switched to the left side and I'm hitting more targets sighting with the dominant eye. And my mount and stance didn't suffer because I didn't have any muscle memory to begin with!

What I am noticing is that my left shoulder hurts like a son-of-a-..... after about 25 rounds. I didn't have this issue on the right shoulder when I started out, although I only shot from that side on two occasions. I'm using rental guns at public and private ranges that I'm assuming are set up for righties. My mount is "fine" according to the coach I've worked with (I haven't thought to ask the coach about this issue), I'm leaning in and pushing the stock back into the pocket to limit recoil. The last two sessions have left me with a noticeable bruise.

So I'm wondering if the butt is angled in such a way to be hurting me; poor anatomic fit or something like that.

BTW, this happens with both 20g and 12g guns and >1 oz loads.

Post subject: Re: Is there such a thing as a Left Handed Butt?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes, there are LH stocks as well as cast neutral. Sounds like the stock doesn't quite fit you right - whether that is a cast issue or one of the other components of a good stock fit, I can't answer. One thing I would do is NOT shoot loads >1oz; there is really no need. Younalso do not say what ammo, what gun, etc.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:17 pm 
Limited Edition

My bad. I pointed the arrow the wrong way. Less than one ounce loads.
The guns have been a mix of CG, Orvis branded, Browning. Whatever is in the rack. One of the places I go is an Orvis shooting grounds and i know to ask for specific guns based on a rudimentary fit for LOP but I think most of the guns are righties. The public range is completely random in terms of equipment. Ammo has consistently been Fiocchi SD clay loads.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know several "left-handed butts!" :roll:

Oh, are you talking about shotgun butt stocks? Yes, stocks can be made with "cast" and palm swells for either right-handed or left-handed shooters.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:44 am 
Field Grade

I've understand that on some left handed butt stocks, the plate is canted a few degrees from vertical.

My left handed 686 has a LH cast and palmswell.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shoot mostly LH'ed stocked guns, but I do shoot a couple of RH guns that I haven't had the stock reworked. My RH 20 gauge upland weight SxS causes me a lot of pain when I shoot it a lot. I just plain does not fit my body shape and I go home bruised. So yes, gun fit does matter - sometimes it matters a lot.

- Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

You should take advantage of Orvis services, specifically gun fitting. Their approach to wingshooting is very effective.

Drang nach Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Absolutely!
They make it tough on you lefties.
The buttstock on a left handed gun is "cast on" or bent to the left to align your left eye with the barrel. Most well made guns have the sole of the buttstock canted from vertical as no one has a shoulder pocket that is absolutely vertical.
A left handed gun may also have a "palm swell" on the left side to accommodate a left handed grip.
On the other hand, if the gun has an appreciable amount of "cast off"(bend to the right) it may be very uncomfortable and inaccurate for you as a left handed shooter to shoot from the left shoulder.
Solutions include: ( In order of sensibility for a new shooter)
Purchase a neutral cast gun (most autoloaders and many field guns).
Purchase a neutral cast gun with an adjustable comb (SKB has some quite affordable guns with this feature).
Purchase a left handed gun ($$$ in many cases).

NSCA Level II Instructor
CSM/TRACS Certified Instructor
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

cfoster wrote:
Solutions include: ( In order of sensibility for a new shooter)
Purchase a neutral cast gun (most autoloaders and many field guns).
Purchase a neutral cast gun with an adjustable comb (SKB has some quite affordable guns with this feature).
Purchase a left handed gun ($$$ in many cases).

Or in many cases, cast can be adjusted. Many autoloaders come with shims to adjust the cast by inserting them between the stock and the receiver. Also, many stocks can be bent to appropriate cast using heat. Briley does this for $140. Others do it as well.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

What happens at Alger Flats stays at Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:49 pm 
Limited Edition

I eventually bought a gun and had the stock fitted for my lefty-ness! I have to say that with the butt properly angled for my body shape, it is a joy to shoot. No discomfort. Last week I shot a rental gun in florida and came home with a huge bruise from where the butt was jabbing my upper chest.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:50 am 
Field Grade

Hopefully you can see in the photo, but the "toe out" adjustment of the pad on my wife's lefty stock has made the gun fit her much better. As mentioned above, it fits her "pocket" much better without stabbing her in the chest.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:02 am 
Limited Edition

My Benelli with the comfortec pass had a LH specific pad and it seems to sit in the office of my shoulder just perfect. My LH Beretta has a basic neutral pad and it just doesn't feel quite as nice as the comfortec pad but gets the job done.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:01 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Butts feel about the same to me with either hand---some are larger than others and some are more firm.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:47 am 
Utility Grade

Proper fit is everything to achieve the point and shoot joy of wingshooting Find a service with a try gun and spend the $ to get your measurements. The measurements and gun can then be sent to expert of your choosing. There are many good vids. online on the importance of proper fit and how to obtain it.