ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for advise, New left handed O/U 12ga
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:34 pm 
Utility Grade

I have been shooting Rt shotguns for over 30 years and finally purchased a Benelli M2 12ga lefty last year. Why did I wait so long!!!! My shooting has improved 100%.
Now I am in the market for a left handed O/U. My budget is $2,500, 12 ga, 28". Primary use will be upland shooting but im starting to get into SC. I have owned several Benellis and have been very pleased with there shotguns so the new 828U is an option but am more concered with the fit than the brand or model.
Thank you all for an excellent fourm for research!!!

Frank

Post subject: Re: Looking for advise, New left handed O/U 12ga
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:06 pm 
Utility Grade

I would like to ad to my first post:

I checked out several O/U today, Citori 725, Benelli, Stoger, and a couple others. Unfortunatly when shouldering the guns I was looking at the right side of th rib, not down the center. For the Bowming I would need to step up my budget and get a 725 Sporting with adjustable comb but it seems like too much gun (weight, size, and just big) for upland bird hunting.
I do not have any experient with having a stock bent to cast on and not sure if that would be a good way to go. I noticed SKB offers an adjustable OU at a resonable price but have never shouldered one.
Thanks again, any guidance would be much appreciated.

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You should be able to find a Browning Cynergy with an adjustable comb for less than $2500. I am a fan of the Cynergy and the Satin Field model can be had for about $1400 without the comb. You could have an adjustable comb put on for $300 or so.

If you go with a field 725 you could also go with an aftermarket comb. The hardware would be better than factory.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DesertHunter1,

I am left eyed (and so I am also a left handed) shooter so understand you situation. What is it about the LH Benelli that improved your shooting? Is it that you now have a semi-auto that is not ejecting shells in front of your face, if so, than this is not an issue with O/U's. If it is the fact that the gun had a stock with cast on for a left handed shooter (As opposed to cast off for RH shooters), this can be accommodated with most shotguns (though it can be expensive). Most so called LH O/U's are simply a RH shotgun that has had the cast replaced or modified to make it more suitable for a LH shotgunner. Many RH shotguns are cast neutral (Browning is an example). I guess what I am saying is that you may not have to look at just 'left handed' shotguns, but also investigate RH shotguns/standard shotguns and if/how they can be modified for LH shooters (For example, both Beretta & Caesar Guerini have LH options on their shotguns, other shotguns can have their stocks bent for cast on).

An adjustable comb can accomplish this, and is certainly not a bad option either, I just do not like them on field guns which was one of the applications you had mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

you mentioned the SKB - I have both a 20ga and 12ga 90TSS left handed sporting version. absolutely love them. Check the weight though - might get heavy during a hunting trip - but for clays, they are wonderful! With you budget, you would have lots of $$ left over for shot shells!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Here is a site with a section devoted to LH shotguns for sale:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f ... cat_id=822

While you may or may not want used, it could give you a good idea of what is out there.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Gents for the replies.

Striper, the shells ejecting infront of my face SUCKED!! and was very dangerous. Couple times I got powder in my eyes, and I always wore glassed. Also, as the morning wore on or on really fast shots I would forget to lean my cheeck over to the left and missed alot of shots. With the M2 Lefty I look right down the center of the rib, even after a long day shooting. Its a natural fit right out of the gate....no thought needed.

1oz Load, thanks for the link!! I think the next step is to shoulder a SKB and Cynergy.

One last Question: who hunt's with a adjustable Stock? Any saftey issues or reliabilty issues?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:16 pm 
Crown Grade

I think you will find an upland hunting over/under and a clays over/under have some pretty big differences. I'd look at a Berretta Silver Pigeon either in field or target and Browning Crossover Target in addition to the guns you're currently looking at.

I can find 725 for under $2500 and so can you. I used a Slkckguns.com search with the Browing model code I wanted. The downside is I would order sight unseen.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Browning 725 is hard to beat. Get one in the left hand model and it has the LH palm swell to add a nice fit touch. With or without adjustable comb. 30" barrels seems to be the most popular.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

CZ makes one called the Southpaw Sterling...30" barrels.
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-southpaw-sterling/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:55 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Beretta 686 with left handed stock. Was originally looking at Browning 725 Sporting but was told by multiple dealers Browning did not have any and did not know when they would have them. This was the spring of 2015. Went with the Browning and never looked back.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

PM sent to Deserthunter1. Have true left hand Marocchi Conquista O&U for sale. [email protected]
Thanks; Tom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RobinTN wrote:
CZ makes one called the Southpaw Sterling...30" barrels.
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-southpaw-sterling/

Plus one on that, I've been shooting a "true" (opening lever is also reversed) LH'ed DeHann SGr for about 8 years and that gun is the same basic gun as the CZ.

- Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

There is also the option of having the gun fitted to you and the stock bent to left hand cast. I'm a lefty and have shot the 828u (only a couple shells at a demo shoot), a nice light field gun. I'm not sure how I'd like it for regular rounds of sporting clays.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:35 am 
Utility Grade

I just posted about this in another thread but I had a beretta white onyx bent to left hand cast and the bend wasn’t permanent. It has returned to right hand cast. Looking for replacement stocks now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:47 am 
Field Grade

Benelli now has inventory of true Left Hand 828U 12ga guns. I have one coming.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:00 am 
Presentation Grade

I went the same route several(make that "many") years ago, with Browning and Beretta. Browning stocks may be advertised as neutral, but most I have seen have some cast-off, while I have seen some with cast-on. You can check out the Rizzini line, as they offer a true left hand stock for a small upgrade.
I got tired of having to spend $2000+ for a gun that didn't fit, and then spend another $500- 1500 to make it fit right(being left handed for shooting can really suck at times). My solution was to go to a true left hand semi-auto, as most come with stock shims that allow you to fit the stock yourself. I had a Browning 725 Sporting with adjustable comb, and by the time I got the comb where I needed it, the rest of the stock was hitting my face- not conducive to smooth shooting!
I now shoot a Left hand Fabarms XLR-FR for sporting, and a lighter Beretta left hand A400 with Kickoff for hunting as well as sporting clays. I am 70 years old/young, and can easily shoot 300+ rds a day with 1 oz/1200 fps loads and not have a sore shoulder, something I could NOT do with the O/U! I also had a left-hand M2.
I know you wanted an O/U, but from one lefty to another, I recommend you at least check out the Beretta and Fabarms semi-autos. Also, nearly all the Fabarms gun, SA and O/U, are available in left hand. Good luck on your quest!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:54 am 
Tournament Grade

Deserthunter1, I'm a left handed shooting upland hunter that also enjoys clay shooting. I shoot a LH Beretta Silver Pigeon. It is light and a joy as an upland gun. It is quick and responsive on flushing birds. I am not a serious (competitive) clay shooter. I shoot clays in hopes of upping my game as a bird hunter. Average on skeet is around 23/25. At the skeet field I usually shoot 150 targets when I go. The light weight gives it a bit more kick than a heavier gun. I don't notice it while shooting but my shoulder will be slightly sore the following day if I'm shooting 1 1/8 oz loads. With 1oz loads it is a cream puff. That is a price I willingly pay for a light shotgun to carry behind my pointing dog. For me that is a good compromise. Competitive clay shooters, opt for a heavier shotgun to mitigate recoil with the high volume shooting that is necessary to be competitive. I guess what I'm saying is there is a tradeoff. If upland work is a priority, go with something light. If clays are a priority, a heavier gun will serve you better. With either choice, fit trumps all, so try to shoot the left hand models before you make your choice.
Willie T

Edited to add: one of the most important factors in an upland gun is how it mounts. If you plan on using a shotgun for upland work, I advise you to shoot some targets low gun with the models you are considering. It will tell you a lot about the fit....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:30 am 
Presentation Grade

Beretta 686 Sporting with 32" barrels or 30" barrels dedicated left handed stock, great price point, and right in your wheel house.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:40 am 
Crown Grade

I also had a bent stock for cast on return to its original cast off. Briley then spent about three weeks bending it over and over at no additional charge until they got the bend to stick...at least for now. We shall see.