ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LH shooter Right Eye dominant
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:07 pm 
Field Grade

My son just started shooting sporting clays (primarily trap at this point). He is a lefty but right eye dominant. I should also note that he is 6'5" and still in HS. Looking to purchase an O/U for him. last weekend he shot my 725 sporting 30" both on the left shoulder and right shoulder. He thought the left shoulder was better and hit more birds. Not sure which eye was controlling but based upon his head position, assume the right eye. He also shot a CX 32". I think the mid rib threw him off since he hit far more with my 725.

thoughts on how I should held/encourage him as follows:

1. shoot right shoulder with right eye
2, left shoulder right eye and if so, better to have either neutral OU like a CX or CXS with an adjustable comb?
3. he has not shot enough to determine if a right hand palm swell bothers him or not.

not too many options around me to handle LH shotguns but I am not sure that is needed if right eye dominant.

interested in thoughts and recommendations

thanks

Post subject: Re: LH shooter Right Eye dominant
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I always encourage cross dominant shooters to shoot off the shoulder of the dominant eye. Not only are you better off vision wise, but you are controlling the shotgun with your strong hand. You're much more likely to develop a good gun mouint, stance, and shooting technique. YMMV and some may disagree.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

What happens at Alger Flats stays at Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:46 pm 
Limited Edition

If this is something he will want to do for a lifetime and is just learning, he either needs to shoot rh and use his dominant eye or lh and block his right eye on his shooting glasses.

My son, I would just teach him to shoot rh. He will struggle for few thousand rounds but he will overcome.

That at which we persist we become better at. Not that the nature of the job has changed, but our ability to do it has increased.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:46 pm 
Limited Edition

If

Last edited by Tvbh40a on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:34 pm 
Field Grade

thanks for all the replies. came home and debated with the boss over his eye dominance. to my surprise, he is left eye dominant with glasses. without glasses it was 50-50 between the left and right.

he shoots with his glasses, so this exercise may be moot at this point. can your eye dominance change. we did the dominance test a couple of years ago and I thought he has been shooting with this right eye. he now claims always left.

suppose that leaves me with a LH O/U or a neutral cast and no palm swell which I believe is still the CX or CXS. I am not too familiar with other options.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:29 pm 
Limited Edition

Joel Etchen stocks left hand berettas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:30 pm 
Limited Edition

I wear RX shooting glasses. I had my DR make the right eye lens weaker on purpose. Works for me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Get him shooting on the right side if he's right eye dominant! He will shoot better and WAY more guns available (and cheaper).

My kids have the opposite problem--both right handed, but left eye dominant. They both shoot left handed