ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: anyone shoot both left and right?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shoot an Ithaca 37 when a friend holds his weekly shoots, we either stand 20 ft to the left or right of his trap thrower. If I am on the right I shoot lefty and if on the left I shoot right, It works because the gun is always being pushed into my face from either side. anyone else?

16 ga Browning A-5 1929
16 ga H&R 1908
16 ga Bridge GunCo
16 ga Western Auto Revelation
16 ga 2 Intrac O/U
16 ga Lefever nitro special 1925
16 ga Marlin 90 1939
16 ga Browning Citori Lightning 2003

Post subject: Re: anyone shoot both left and right?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm a right handed shooter, but I sometimes shoot left handed just for the heck of it. Actually I don't do too bad shooting left handed, but my swing isn't as smooth as when shooting right handed. That's probably due to lack of practice with shooting left handed.

If something happened to my right eye or right shoulder that prevented me from shooting right handed, I would switch to left handed in a heartbeat, but since I can still shoot right handed, I'm not sure that switching back and forth is any advantage. However, it is something I've thought about because there is no question that on targets coming from the left, I can see them better and quicker when shooting left handed. I suppose that if a baseball player can bat from either side of the plate (switch hitter) , a shooter should be able to shoot from either shoulder.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:01 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I've tried it but cant hit the ground with my hat right handed !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:39 am 
Presentation Grade

I can shoot a pistol either left or right handed, but I always use my right eye. I am just a little slower with my left hand, but just as accurate. I practice this often.

A scoped rifle with one eye shut is possible but more awkward and much slower with accuracy suffering.

A shotgun or rifle with both eyes open is a disaster from my left shoulder as I am right eye dominant. To shoot a shotgun from my left I need to close my right eye and then I would be considered a very poor shot. In my case hitting a moving target requires far more coordination from my left side than I posses.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

LH both eyes open

RH left eye closed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'd try it if I weren't such an awful shot to begin with. Only on stationary targets under circumstances of extreme duress here!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:47 pm 
Utility Grade

Yuchi wrote:
LH both eyes open

RH left eye closed

Same here. Started shooting RH until I realized how much better it is to have both eyes open.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:52 pm 
Utility Grade

I am a natural lefty but started about 5 years ago with my right after my left shoulder was rebuilt.
I'm still a bit better on the left but because I was doing it alot, I'm comfortable on either side now. It's fun to mess with people when they don't know us - ha! If we are being serious, I will stay with the same side (usually left) regardless of station - just easier. But if we are just fooling around, I'll switch it up.

Pistols I shoot with either side equally - and I alternate a lot when I'm at the range. Something I think everyone should be comfortable doing - you never know.

Interestingly, my son (almost 16) is better on his left than right shooting skeet. He thought it was cool when I was learning to do it! But with pistols he is purely righty for now - I intend to get him comfortable on the left but he needs more time on the range first.

so, to answer the question, yes.