ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon I
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:11 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm looking at purchasing this O/U in a 20GA with a 28" barrel. My problem is I haven't been able to specifically tell if this gun is available as a stock option in a LH or ambidextrous model. I have seen the exact gun in a 30" but not a 28". Also, would it be completely necessary that I have a LH model? I've never owned a LH shotgun and I haven't found it to be much of an issue, but this would be my first O/U. Any information or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon I
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

I bought a beretta 686 silver pigeon I (30" barrells) with LH wood. I bought it from Joel Etchen guns in PA. It did cost $200 more than the RH version.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

My wife has a 28" SP 1. She shoots right handed. Her gun has quite a bit of cast off. I shoot left and simply can't shoot her gun well. I elected to get an SKB 90TSS in left-handed stock got myself.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:46 am 
Utility Grade

I have a 686 Silver Pigeon 1 Sporting, 12 ga, LH with 32" barrels that is used primarily for sporting clays. This was the first true LH shotgun I purchased, where the stock was cast on from the factory for a lefty. Love the gun, and for the price can't go wrong. Since then, I've upgraded to a Caesar Guerini Summit Ascent, LH, 32" barrels and it has become my primary gun, with the 686 being back up. If you're shooting from the left side, a gun with the stock cast on for a leftie is a good investment.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:09 am 
Field Grade

I want a lefty (or neutral-cast) Beretta SP1 28 gauge field model so bad I can't stand it. I've been wanting one for a long while.

A few days ago, I inquired about such a gun at Joel Etchen's gun shop. They said that gun does not come in a left-hand model, or in a neutral-cast model. Only with cast for a righty.

Very disappointing.

I love Browning, but their small-gauge O/U philosophy is that small gauges are only for small-framed shooters. The 12-gauge Citori field models fit me very well, with their 1+5/8" DAC and 2.5" DAH. But their small gauge field O/Us (20, 16, 28, .410 bore) have less DAC (1.5") and less DAH (2+3/8"). And they do not fit me.

Maybe I could increase LOP and get the DAC I need, but I need more DAH as well. I really like a heads-up shooting position.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:06 am 
Utility Grade

Hold out for a true left hand stock. I have a white onyx and was told it didn’t matter what I started with because I was having it fitted. I took it to briley, they shortened it and bent to fit me a few years ago. Just got it out of the safe and the stock was back to right hand cast.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:16 pm 
Utility Grade

I shoot left-handed (left eye dominant), but I've shot right-handed shotguns my whole life. Finally shouldered a left-handed CZ, and...OMG. It. Actually. Matters. Ordered a CZ Drake "Southpaw" immediately.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:45 am 
Field Grade

Beretta used to make LH wood for their guns. That has been discontinued. There may be some left hand wood left at Coles in Florida.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As mentioed, check with Cole's Gun in Maine/Fla.

https://shop.colegun.com/

They have a large inventory of left hand wood. They would probably cut a deal if you bought a gun from them and replaced the standard stock with a LH one.

LH shooter, and I replaced the standard stock on my SP 1 with LH wood and the difference was dramatic.

I had not heard the Beretta is stopping production of LH stocks, and to be honest I question that information. Are they going to go to stocks without any cast/cast neutral? I cannot image a gun manufacturer that would only create stocks with cast off for RH shooters, I would think that would be a serious mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:13 am 
Field Grade

Beretta used to have a program where direct dealers like Coles could send a new gun to Accokeek to have right hand wood swapped for left hand. I did that a few times. From what I can discern, the left hand wood is no longer at Accokeek but in Italy now and requires a special order from Italy. Coles probably bought the leftover left hand wood from Accokeek.