ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Right Hand Semi at Night: Will I See Flashes?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:54 am 
Presentation Grade

I'm thinking of buying a Beretta Multitarget, but I shoot a lot of skeet under the lights. I've read that when shooting a RH semi I will probably see flashes, which will certainly affect shooting doubles. Is this true? Also, what about powder burn? Is it a nuisance?

Thanks,

Randy

Post subject: Re: Right Hand Semi at Night: Will I See Flashes?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:04 am 
Crown Grade

If you get powder burns, something is wrong with the gun.

I suspect the flash might be noticeable, but I do not think it would hinder you on doubles

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is usually some flash that comes out of the ejection port, which is more obvious at night. It also depends on what shells you are using or reloading. Some are worse than others. I find that it is noticed by people watching, more than the shooter, unless it is flashing right across your eyes, as a leftie, with a RH gun. It is always amusing when it is noticed at night. It happens all the time, just not as noticeable.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Depends on the individual and the gun and the shells and the humidity and so on. I notice it so I flat won't shoot a RH semi. There's also a little cloud of crap that comes out the ejection port that I don't care to breathe or have anywhere close to my eyes, shooting glasses notwithstanding.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

What happens at Alger Flats stays at Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

Folks,

Thanks so much for your help. I'm wondering if I have another option: perhaps I can change the stock on a A400 xplor, though that might be very expensive. For that money I could consider a Fabarm, but I think it's length of pull is too long for me, and a 30" inch barrel on a semi might also be too long for skeet.

Randy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:46 am 
Presentation Grade

As a left-hand shooter all my life, I used right-hand semi-autos for Skeet for many years. I finally had enough of powder and gas blow back to the face, and switched to left-hand semi-autos. I am very happy with my Fabarms XLR- FR and my Beretta A400, both in left-hand. I need a 14-3/4" LOP, so the Fabarms works for me, but the LOP can be shortened with shorter recoil pads available from them on-line, and they are easy to change. I had to add a 1/2" spacer to the Beretta(with KickOff) to get the LOP right, but it was easy, again with a spacer from Beretta on-line(though I got mine from MidWest guns a bit cheaper).

I was told years ago that life is too short to drink cheap beer(which is true), and life is too short for left-hand shooters to shoot right- handed shotguns! Besides,no one ever asks to borrow your gun!

Also check the Fabarms L4S left hand- it is a field gun( vs the XLRs which are competition guns) and has a shorter LOP.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:57 am 
Crown Grade

I have shot my brother's left handed Remington 1100 right handed many times and I never noticed any flash or blowback from the ejection port.
Maybe that particular gun waits until the pressure in the breech is gone before it opens the breech.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:01 am 
Crown Grade

USAFA71 wrote:
I was told years ago that life is too short to drink cheap beer

Cheap beer beats no beer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

B.L.E. wrote:
I have shot my brother's left handed Remington 1100 right handed many times and I never noticed any flash or blowback from the ejection port.
Maybe that particular gun waits until the pressure in the breech is gone before it opens the breech.

Just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it's not there.

Gig 'Em Aggies!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:05 pm 
Crown Grade

jer901 wrote:
B.L.E. wrote:

If I don't notice it, it doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

B.L.E. wrote:
jer901 wrote:
B.L.E. wrote:

If I don't notice it, it doesn't matter.

To each his own, however, just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it doesn't matter either if you are breathing that crap that is ejected in your face, or God forbid it gets in your eyes.

Gig 'Em Aggies!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:02 am 
Tournament Grade

I realize this is an old post, but I believe gas and flames coming out the ejection port happen often. I took a piece of metal in the right eye a few years ago and just recently on a crow hunt using a 391 20 gauge had hot gas get to my right eye three times-I killed 76 crows so I shot a fair amount. I always try to wear shooting glasses, but that particular morning they kept fogging up. I have a left hand A400 and I am considering a left hand m2 20. Our eyes are to fragile to take the risk.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:26 pm 
Limited Edition

As a lefty shooter, I have shot Winchester Super-X's, righty 1100's, and right hand Beretta 290 sporting. I never noticed and ejection "Flash" from any of the righty semi-auto's IN THE DAY TIME.

My son who is also a lefty shot Scholastic Trap in high school with most trap practice at night. I can tell you shooting a right-handed semi-auto as a lefty he experienced ejection flash constantly. The Beretta 390 was the worst offender. My son and I were shooting reloads with Hodgdon Clays powder and did try some factory loads. The result was the same....we both got flashed.

I sold all my righty semi-auto's (which pained me to sell my Super-X's) and replaced them with left-hand Remington 1100s. The moral is shoot in the daytime NO noticeable flash...shoot at night under the lights and you will get flashed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:06 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Calling all southpaws!!!!!! Run out and buy a Beretta 391 and drop a 3inch mag shell in the chamber. Let it rip after sundown ,and I GUARANTEE you will see the light !!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:16 pm 
Crown Grade

So would a RH in your scenario......

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:37 am 
Tournament Grade

Yes, but not 4-6 inches right in front of your face. Much better to be on the correct side of the gun-which is opposite of the ejection port.