ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CZ SUPREME FIELD DISAPPOINTMENT
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:28 pm 
Utility Grade

WHY CZ WHY? I had my heart set on one of the new Supreme Field guns in 28 gauge. It had some of the best looking wood ever. ;D Price was good for wood of that quality. The gun was gorgeous!!! I came across a 20 and 28. The wood looked like both guns may have come from the same tree.Had the bank card out and ready then I shouldered it. The cast on the stock was wonderful if I was right handed. CZ you would have sold a set of 20 and 28 if the stock had had a neutral cast. I do not have any left handed guns and always look for neutral cast stocks. I don't care about palm swells, just want neutral cast. CZ how about some neutral stocks on those pretty guns!!!

Post subject: Re: CZ SUPREME FIELD DISAPPOINTMENT
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Don't let that stop you! If you need major stock alterations, take it to a gunsmith that specializes in that sort of thing. A little cast one way or the other is no big deal. Many moons ago I found an article in either "Sports Afield" or "Outdoor Life" as I recall telling how to bend shotgun stocks. Since then I have bent (changed the cast) on dozens of SXS doubles that came with RH cast. They include a CZ, a Dehan, a $10,000 Sidelock Merkel & a high grade Spanish gun. Actually, I let the owner do the work on the Spanish gun himself just in case something went wrong but it didn't. Basically, you need a cradle to firmly hold the gun so you can apply force to the stock. It must support the stock in the trigger area so the stock won't crack or break. You then apply heat with inferred ray heat lamps to both sides of the stock where you want it to bend. Other types will work but inferred is said to not damage the finish. Apply force to the butt of the stock in the direction you want it to bend. You don't need a lot of force. Ten pounds or less is usually enough & don't rush the process. Over time the heat will soften the stock & it will begin to bend. It will rebound some so I would bend it a little more than what you want. Remove the heat & let it cool, then go shoot it! There are more exotic methods using oil or steam for more radical alterations but I have used this method with great success!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:25 pm 
Field Grade

FYI - Briley can bend a stock for you for a very reasonable fee.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I told them the same thing. Most Americans are used to shooting neutral. By making the for RH use, they gave righties something they wouldn't have asked for and lost ten percent of the market. Silly!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:20 am 
Utility Grade

geometric wrote:
Don't let that stop you! If you need major stock alterations, take it to a gunsmith that specializes in that sort of thing. A little cast one way or the other is no big deal. Many moons ago I found an article in either "Sports Afield" or "Outdoor Life" as I recall telling how to bend shotgun stocks. Since then I have bent (changed the cast) on dozens of SXS doubles that came with RH cast. They include a CZ, a Dehan, a $10,000 Sidelock Merkel & a high grade Spanish gun. Actually, I let the owner do the work on the Spanish gun himself just in case something went wrong but it didn't. Basically, you need a cradle to firmly hold the gun so you can apply force to the stock. It must support the stock in the trigger area so the stock won't crack or break. You then apply heat with inferred ray heat lamps to both sides of the stock where you want it to bend. Other types will work but inferred is said to not damage the finish. Apply force to the butt of the stock in the direction you want it to bend. You don't need a lot of force. Ten pounds or less is usually enough & don't rush the process. Over time the heat will soften the stock & it will begin to bend. It will rebound some so I would bend it a little more than what you want. Remove the heat & let it cool, then go shoot it! There are more exotic methods using oil or steam for more radical alterations but I have used this method with great success!
no oil? just slow low heat??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:52 am 
Crown Grade

I have never used oil but I have never done anything radical. Infrared heat lamps on both sides of the bend have been all that was needed for a little cast. More drastic bends & problem wood may require more sophisticated methods. It takes hours for the wood to start bending in most cases but steady pressure & heat has not failed me. If it does not respond, you could rub oil on the wood but then you could discolor it. I have never done that & don't know what kind of oil to use.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:43 pm 
Utility Grade

geometric wrote:
I have never used oil but I have never done anything radical. Infrared heat lamps on both sides of the bend have been all that was needed for a little cast. More drastic bends & problem wood may require more sophisticated methods. It takes hours for the wood to start bending in most cases but steady pressure & heat has not failed me. If it does not respond, you could rub oil on the wood but then you could discolor it. I have never done that & don't know what kind of oil to use.
whats the time frame for the heat to start the bend?? minutes or hours?? I am going to try a little cast in my 725 browning.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Usually an hour or less but let the stock tell you when it is ready. It will start to bend when it is ready. If it doesn't start to bend in an hour, check to see that the lamps are heating the wood enough & carefully experiment with more pressure. I secure the gun to a work bench with wood blocks & cloth straps, bottom side up. I put a block at the point I want the bend to start. Watch the juncture of the stock & the receiver to be sure you don't get any unwanted movement in that area. You can adjust the blocks as needed during the process.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:05 pm 
Utility Grade

geometric wrote:
Usually an hour or less but let the stock tell you when it is ready. It will start to bend when it is ready. If it doesn't start to bend in an hour, check to see that the lamps are heating the wood enough & carefully experiment with more pressure. I secure the gun to a work bench with wood blocks & cloth straps, bottom side up. I put a block at the point I want the bend to start. Watch the juncture of the stock & the receiver to be sure you don't get any unwanted movement in that area. You can adjust the blocks as needed during the process.
how much disassembly is required?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:28 pm 
Crown Grade

If the trigger guard wants to bend, you may have to detach it. Otherwise none for a double gun. I am not familiar with bending other types but it should generally be obvious & apparent.
The bend should be mostly in the wrist area. Obviously you can't bend the action & lock(s).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:46 pm 
Utility Grade

geometric wrote:
If the trigger guard wants to bend, you may have to detach it. Otherwise none for a double gun. I am not familiar with bending other types but it should generally be obvious & apparent.
The bend should be mostly in the wrist area. Obviously you can't bend the action & lock(s).
ok,thanks for all your time answering so many?? think I will give it a try. I am pretty sure I only need 1/8 in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:06 am 
Utility Grade

I have a Turkish made O/U that was cast for a right-hander. I ended up bending the stock myself.

I took the barrels off, put two short 2x4 blocks on my loading bench near the edge. I laid the stock and action on the blocks placing the blocks as close to either end and still giving good support.

I then took a wood screw clamp and clamped it onto the bench and the wrist of the stock and tightened it down until I heard the wood starting to stress. I left it there for several days tightening the clamp a half turn or so every few days when it felt like it had loosened a bit. The last few days it was under the clamp I put a heat gun on it for about 20 minutes at a time.

The only mistake I made is I should have used some padding on the top of the wrist before tightening the clamp as it marred the checkering a bit. No big deal as it's a working gun that already had a divot in the stock where I slipped side-hilling on a scree slope chasing ptarmigan.

The rebending took and is still holding.