ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JC Higgins model 20 safety
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:02 am 
Diamond Grade

So I’m restoring a JC Higgins model 20, seems to be a nice gun. I’ve managed to get a left handed safety for it. Has anyone converted one ? It’s the same as a High Standard 200.

The safety is sold as a “long” safety. It seems the safety works the same as a regular one but is longer on the left side so you pull it off safety instead of push. Can that be right ?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: JC Higgins model 20 safety
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:34 am 
Limited Edition

I have converted 3 or 4 right-handed shotguns with sliding Williams Safety and they all worked the opposite of the safety they replaced. Sometimes you can google replacement videos on YouTube. What make is the safety?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:24 am 
Diamond Grade

fireguymike wrote:
I have converted 3 or 4 right-handed shotguns with sliding Williams Safety and they all worked the opposite of the safety they replaced. Sometimes you can google replacement videos on YouTube. What make is the safety?

I’ve used the big head Williams on other guns, they are nice.

This one is a factory part from Numrich. I’ve installed it but it’s for a High Standard 200, come to find out the parts aren’t as interchangeable as I previously thought. Just enough difference to not work, I don’t like modifying a safety myself.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:16 am 
Limited Edition

Sometimes simply reversing the safety works (Super-X Mod 1 Winchester). I don’t know why more safeties could have been designed that way. No other Winchester safety that I own works that way.