ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Lefty
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:05 am 
Field Grade

Right handed left eye dominant..... have still shot right handed until recently.... due to a right shoulder injury I am forced to shoot left handed.... not doing very well so far..... any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: New Lefty
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:34 am 
Limited Edition

Practice, practice, practice.
Same here. I switched when I found out I was left eye dominant at 16 yrs. old. I`m 60 now.
Practice mounting your gun in a mirror. Stagger your feet, right foot forward, lean forward. Bring the gun up to your face. Don`t bring your face to the gun. Keep your head vertical.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:56 am 
Diamond Grade

I have used a bore sight to find out where my gun mount routine is “off”.

Every gun, at least every model, has different geometry that interacts with your physical structure. I have a shotgun boresight, the kind that goes in the muzzle, that helps me see where the barrel is pointed when I pull it up.

Even just across the room is enough to tell if you aren’t doing something right. Maybe someone more experienced in stock fitting can poke holes in my therory, but I feel it helps. I can tell if the amount of cheek pressure needs changing among other things, it’s amzing how different two guns can be.

I am cross eye dominant and have shot left handed many years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:18 am 
Field Grade

A few years ago I started shooting shotguns and was having a rough go right-handed unless I closed my left eye. I knew I was cross-eye dominant from shooting pistols, bows and rifles, but I could close an eye or pull a pistol in front of my left eye for sight without problem.

After about a month of shooting right handed, I switched to my left with both eyes open, and my scores plummeted at first, but after heading back out and doing it over and over, I was better than my right-hand scores within the next few weeks.

Keep shooting until it feels natural, and see if you can get someone that can reliably help you with your form so they can watch for any bad habits.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:25 pm 
Field Grade

Remington offered several left handers, I believe the 870, and the 1100. Not sure of other models. Also, there are several bottom ejects. I am left handed, and never had problem with starboard ejects.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Stick with it. It takes a while to make the switch. It feels really awkward for me to mount a gun on the right side now. Feels perfect mounting to my dominant eye.
When I made the switch, I bought a daisy red ryder bb gun. I set up a few beer cans and practiced in my back yard. I think it sped up the process.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:47 pm 
Limited Edition

After ~50 seasons of shooting RH & being left eye dominant I made the switch. Two things that helped the most (initially) was installation of an Easy Hit sight on one of the Beretta 390’s, not necessarily for actual shooting but to make sure my cheek was welded to the right spot on the stock. As you are creating and training new muscle memory, it was many evenings of mounting sessions in the back den. The Easy Hit light tube cannot be seen (glow) unless your head mount is correct. After a couple months it became second nature and I took the EH sight off as it became a distraction. The first season my shooting ratio went from 41% (RH) to 83% on waterfowl. With both eyes open my depth perception was 100% and had a full field of view which is especially useful in maintaining the line on a bird during windy conditions. Plus, for the first time I could easily see the puff of feathers as the pattern achieved impact. It’s all good.