ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SxS double trigger- issues for lefty’s?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:01 am 
Tournament Grade

Have a hankering to buy a hammergun and have found in reasonable shape and in my price range
My question is with double triggers and left handed will have any trouble firing right Barrel first? And then 2nd Barrel next

Have shot SxS single triggers but hammer guns typically 2 triggers

Post subject: Re: SxS double trigger- issues for lefty’s?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:59 am 
Presentation Grade

I am a lefty and my first shotgun at age 14 was a SxS with double triggers and I have had several over the years. I find that my trigger finger moves naturally from the front trigger to the rear one. Never been a problem for me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

no problem for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:22 am 
Field Grade

While I don’t personally own a double trigger gun, I’ve had the opportunity to shoot quite a variety of them lent to me by the good fellows in our local skeet and blackpowder clubs. I’ve never had any discernible issues with any of those type of guns, even with ones that had customized triggers tailored to the preference of the owner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:24 am 
Crown Grade

RH DT guns just seem to be better suited for us LH folks. You just slide your finger from the front to the back as opposed to trying to insert it in between. I do not suffer from the bruised knuckle the way several of my RH friends do.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:
RH DT guns just seem to be better suited for us LH folks. You just slide your finger from the front to the back as opposed to trying to insert it in between. I do not suffer from the bruised knuckle the way several of my RH friends do.

This

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

What happens at Alger Flats stays at Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:40 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Never a problem shooting my Ideal Grade L.C. Smith skeet gun. Kinda wish I hadn't given it to one of my sons----oh well---we cant live forever ! I guess if I could walk more than a few feet at a time-----AND---(big AND) there were more than a very few quail around , I would still have it in the cabinet.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Been a righty all my life. Switched to left handed shooting three years ago.

Purchased a 16ga Elsie Ideal 1936 FW two weeks ago(pics posted under Gun ID/Value). Finally found a gun that shoots where I look!

dta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am right handed but left eyed. My first shotgun to shoot at age 12 was a Stevens 16 double and I had no problem doing it left handed. It was my fathers gun and I have it now and still use it every now and again. It has 26 inch barrels and kicks like a Missouri Mule. Dad got it during WW2 and it was the last gun the store had in stock. He paid $35 for it in 1944.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:08 pm 
Limited Edition

RH DT guns just seem to be better suited for us LH folks. You just slide your finger from the front to the back as opposed to trying to insert it in between. This gentleman has it right it just seems like the triggers were designed by a lefty as the finger just slips off the front and naturally lands the first digit on the second trigger.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:57 am 
Tournament Grade

I normally shoot the left first. I started at age 12 and was small for my age (still am) and it was easier to use the left side first. I still do it out of habit. It is not problem to reach around for the right if I need another shot quick like. I normally don't miss as I don't shoot unless its a good clear shot so there is no hurry to switch.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:25 pm 
Crown Grade

My first gun as a juvenile in the 50's was a SXS, DT 410. It was many years later before I learned there were other options. Many years later finds me with some 15 double guns with double triggers. Everything from muzzle loaders to 10 ga. 3.5" mags., including a .45 cal. centerfire rifle & a .58 cal. muzzle loader. I tried autos but the SXS is the gun for me. I have shot single trigger guns but have never been tempted to own one. I think the guy that said, "the single selective trigger is an example of technology getting in the way of common sense", was on to something. If sense were only common!! I have been shooting sxs, dt guns with the standard trigger setup far to long to change horses in mid stream!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It only takes a couple of double shots before your brain adjusts.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:37 pm 
Crown Grade

marshfield wrote:
It only takes a couple of double shots before your brain adjusts.

Yep - took me 3 shots to get the hang of it after being afraid for years of pulling both at once to find out how easy it is for LH to use DTs

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:56 pm 
Utility Grade

oneounceload wrote:

I know this is a shotgun forum but the LH double trigger prevents your finger from "sliding" from the front trigger to the rear trigger during recoil and doubling in double rifles. Not fun if one is shooting a .500 Nitro Express. Not to mention during recoil you have plenty of time to bring the finger over to the back trigger.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

I went from a .410 single to my Dad's 16ga LC Smith with right hand triggers at age 10. I never had a problem managing the RH triggers. It kicked like a mule, but I had a grown up gun and I was proud. I went to pumps at age 13 and never looked back. I am 65 and I still like shooting the LC Smith. I shoot O/U's, but still like the style of the LC Smith. I just bought a 20ga semi because I never had a semi in my life.

JB