ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Semi-autos, do lefties need LH models?
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:38 pm 
Crown Grade

I suppose I could have structured this as a poll, but I much prefer a lively discussion. I stuck with a downscale O/U for sporting clays, because there are so few LH semi-autos available and usually only at the top of each maker's line of products. I liked the Remington V3, but would have had to upgrade to Versa-Max to get LH. Even at a very reasonable $1,000, that was more than I wanted to spend. Same for other makers. The LH guns are at the top of the line only.

So what is the story? For lefties is there a gas/dust blast across your face with a RH semi-auto, and if so, does it make any difference. Is it dangerous. Does the ejected shell cause any problems either safety-wise of with regard to concentrating on a second target. Lots of folks say no. I'm interested in what the members here think.

Have at it...and thanks.

Post subject: Re: Semi-autos, do lefties need LH models?
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:56 pm 
Crown Grade

I was at the this very quandary on whether to get my nephew who is a Southpaw a LH semi auto as promised for his HS graduation present. I even considered giving him one of my O/Us that is neutral cast but decided he would be better off with a do-all gun. The selection is indeed somewhat limited on what models you can get for a LH. So I have spoken with several LH shooters and to a man, they indicated that they had gotten so used to RH guns that with the possible exception of the safety, all shot RH guns and thought that was the way to go. It is also cheaper to buy a RH model, all else being equal.

Since one who advised me was a very good young shooter who is also an accomplished 3 gun competitor, I have decided on getting my nephew a RH FABARM Initial Hunter. I will reverse the safety on it for LH before giving it to him. I, being the considerate uncle that I am, will shoot it "enough" to ensure it functions problem free for him when he first picks it up. I will also have to make sure it is good for game so will also take it dove hunting. Since it will be a wood stocked gun, I will try hard to minimize the nicks to it before presenting it to him a year from now. It is the least I can do!!! LOL

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:09 pm 
Limited Edition

I think it is a matter of wanting, not needing a LH shotgun. At least that`s how it was for me. When I started shooting, I used my uncle`s guns. They were all right handed. The very first shotgun I bought was a RH 1100 in 16 ga. I quickly sold that for my first 12 ga. LH gun, a 870 Wingmaster. Then I added a LH Montefeltro and then I added a LH 1100. All because I wanted , not needed them.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you shoot a wrong handed auto, it's not a matter if if you'll get a face full of gas and particulate, but when. Shooting a wrong handed auto is inherently less safe than shooting a correctly handed one.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:42 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

rpenmanparker wrote:
So what is the story? For lefties is there a gas/dust blast across your face with a RH semi-auto, and if so, does it make any difference. Is it dangerous. Does the ejected shell cause any problems either safety-wise of with regard to concentrating on a second target.

No, it isn't dangerous and long-time left-handed hunters and shooters (Phil @ Field and Stream, etc., etc., etc., etc.) are more used to right-hand eject autos than left-hand eject autos. It is also why "is the safety reversible?" is such a commonly asked question.

Left-hand eject autos are readily available though in base models such as the L4S Initial Hunter. https://fabarmusa.com/l4s-initial-hunter/

Clearly, left-handed models are not "needed" (most autos eject forward) but you may prefer them and the selection is a broad one, yet not as ubiquitous as right hand eject models.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Wow! That is some good info. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Need vs want is up to the individual. I have shot LH for nearly 60 years and I will NEVER take advice about this topic from someone who shoots RH. It isn't the shells flying across your vision, it's all the other crap that comes out of the ejection port. Just because some noted LH shooting "experts" shoot RH guns and say it's fine doesn't convince me - my own experience is far more valuable to me. Fine for them, not for me. Shoot what you like - it's your eyes and your lungs. I will never again shoot a RH semi-auto. Did it once, that was enough.

Watch skeet or 5-stand under lights at night sometime. And FWIW, the skill level of advice givers is completely irrelevant.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

What happens at Alger Flats stays at Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:41 pm 
Crown Grade

jer901 wrote:
Need vs want is up to the individual. I have shot LH for nearly 60 years and I will NEVER take advice about this topic from someone who shoots RH. It isn't the shells flying across your vision, it's all the other crap that comes out of the ejection port. Just because some noted LH shooting "experts" shoot RH guns and say it's fine doesn't convince me - my own experience is far more valuable to me. Fine for them, not for me. Shoot what you like - it's your eyes and your lungs. I will never again shoot a RH semi-auto. Did it once, that was enough.

Watch skeet or 5-stand under lights at night sometime. And FWIW, the skill level of advice givers is completely irrelevant.

I like what you said.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:50 pm 
Crown Grade

I am curious then as to what about the LH folks shooting semi auto rifles? Are all of those shot from the right shoulder by LH shooters? I don't think so. The AR platforms don't come in LH version do they? I know they are popular as all heck but can't say I have ever seen any left eject models. I readily admit that I am no authority on those. To each their own and not trying to convince anyone because I have made my decision.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm a lefty and I shoot any semi auto without issue. Thats shotguns to ARs to whatever. Never had a problem. The only thing that bothers me slightly is guns that do not have a tang safety or the option to the reverse the cross bolt safety for left handed operation. This really only becomes a concern when hunting is involved, for targets I don't care. When the cross bolt safety is at the rear portion of the trigger I can usually get around it by holding the gun such that my middle finger wrapped around the trigger guard and hit the safety that way so its not too bad. The absolute worse is when the safety is at the forward portion of the trigger guard and not reversible. I have small hands too so that double sucks. Luckily this is the least common configuration so overall not too bad. Most manufacturers provide shims these days so you can cast for a lefty, and this is the most important feature for me. I would personally never buy a left ejecting gun simply because the cons of harder resale and being subject to a separate supply line for some replacement parts.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

oyeme wrote:
I am curious then as to what about the LH folks shooting semi auto rifles? Are all of those shot from the right shoulder by LH shooters? I don't think so. The AR platforms don't come in LH version do they? I know they are popular as all heck but can't say I have ever seen any left eject models. I readily admit that I am no authority on those. To each their own and not trying to convince anyone because I have made my decision.

They do make left ejecting ARs but its the same story as the left ejecting shotguns. Some ppl buy them, but by and large I think most lefties are not bothered enough by the right handed config for them to have a larger market share than they currently hold.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

LH AR-15s are available, I only know this because I have a friend who has one. I don't much care for the platform so I don't own one. Qualifying with an M-16 when I was in the Air Force was a b**ch, but I did it and qualified Expert. The old Master Sergeant running the range that day hated that he had to accommodate this green 2Lt, but he did, and begrudgingly scored my target Expert.

Every time this subject comes up, I say the same thing. I'm not trying to convince anyone what to shoot. It's your decision, whatever you choose. I just share my thoughts and experience.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

What happens at Alger Flats stays at Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They make LH ARs, I own one. The Browning BAR was available in left hand, and the M1A is currently being made in LH. The Savage 64 22lr is available in LH eject as well.

Many people that are "used" to shooting semis wrong handed "learned" to do so because there simply wasn't much of a choice. Until the turn of the century there were only a couple different LH shotguns available. We are currently in a left hand renaissance when it comes to LH semis (and bolt rifles), and there really isn't a reason NOT to buy one.

I stopped buying RH guns as a matter of course, and will now only do so if there is absolutely no LH option and it's a rifle/shotgun I really want, such as something historical.

[email protected]

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:45 am 
Presentation Grade

Why settle for a RH to save a few $$?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:23 pm 
Crown Grade

I am LH and shoot RH semis (2 Beretta A400s)- Since I wear eye protection, I have no issues or worries,

As to why settle, sometimes a particular model is not available in a LH configuration.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:
I am LH and shoot RH semis (2 Beretta A400s)- Since I wear eye protection, I have no issues or worries,

As to why settle, sometimes a particular model is not available in a LH configuration.

Unless you wear something akin to swim goggles where your eyes are physically sealed, even shooting glasses are sometimes not enough w/ a wrong handed auto.

[email protected]

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Not with a quality gun shooting decent ammo - at least not in my experience.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:35 am 
Tournament Grade

I've been shooting right handed semi autos for over 50 years and as long as you are wearing glasses, I don't think it's an issue.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Another LH shooter who shoots RH semi-autos. I have not experienced the face full of stuff others have mentioned. However, I have probably only shot ~5000 rounds through my semi-auto which is not the largest of sample sizes. I just do not shoot it as much as my dedicated O/U target gun.

I would be curious to find out if the different semi-auto mechanisms have different proclivity for throwing gas/particulate back at a shooter. Almost all of my experience is with gas operated semi-autos. I have only borrowed a few intertia guns to try out (Benelli's).

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't notice the shells ejecting. My eyesight is awful though. That could vary with the shooter.

The sound of the last shot is different. That's my cue to toss another shell in if a bird is still in range. I would bet I can get a 4th shot off faster than a righty with a right port gun. And yes I've killed a few ducks with the fourth shell. Toss in a shell and bump the release as my hand goes by on the way to the forearm.

It's obvious there is a safety issue with the port being on your side, but it practically never happens. If then you take a prtactical view, RH guns are actually LH like a lot of things those backward righties developed.