ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Semi-autos, do lefties need LH models?
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:45 am 
Limited Edition

I’ve had the debris in my face/eyes with RH semi-auto’s especially 20 gauges. That’s why the SIL was given a LH 11-87 for his BD last year. Picked up a LH Beretta A400 last January and realized the difference immediately between it and my RH 390’s. Will not part with them as they and my “old” Auto-Fives are the bomb, but the A400 will be the first pick from the gun cabinet, going forward.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:25 am 
Presentation Grade

Confirmed left- hand shooter for the past 50+ years. Learned to shoot right-hand rifles and shotguns initially because that was all that was available. After buying my first true left-handed gun, and having gas and debris to the face while shooting a right-handed semi-auto shotgun, I switched to left-hand guns exclusively. I have left hand rifles in 30.06, 7-08, 257 Roberts, 223(bolt action), AR-15, 22 Hornet, and three 22LR bolt action. Left-hand shotguns include 12 ga Beretta A-400, 12 ga Fabarms XLR for Sporting Clays, a left hand 20 ga SxS, and a left hand 28 ga O/U. I also have a Browning Citori from my sons, with an adjustable butt plate, with a tube set for 20/28/410, which easily handles any skeet requirements.

True left-hand guns are available, but not available in every gun shop. As was previously mentioned with shooting a right-hand shotgun/rifle left-handed, it is not a matter of if you get blasted in the face, but when. It will happen, and accepting that as a price of shooting a right-handed shotgun, because they are easy to find,is a price I am not willing to pay anymore. My eyes(and good looks!) are too important to me. Besides, life is too short to shoot guns that don’t fit!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:52 pm 
Field Grade

I shoot all RH semis left handed without any issues. I don't notice the shell ejecting or any gas or debris at all. I have a remington V3 and Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge I shoot all the time. I've shot many other semis too with no issues. I do get shims and adjust the cast as the RH shotguns will be cast for right handers and I have reversed the safeties. All very simple to do.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:13 am 
Field Grade

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I had a professional teach me how to shoot left handed. I was amazed by how much my right eye was distracted by shells ejected to the right from a right handed gun. If only an instant, was enough to distract me.
I purchased a Fabarm L4S LH and was amazed by how I don’t even see the shell now. That’s me, others my differ.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:08 pm 
Field Grade

I purchase almost exclusively LH guns unless it's something I really want. Case in point, I purchased an 11-87 upland special last year. Great gun, but I used it on a dove hunt once where there were a lot of straight up, vertical shots and I was getting powder/debris in my eyes almost every time.

Unless you are wearing glasses, only you can decide if that's a risk you want to take.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:20 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm LH and have been using RH guns most of my life. I did switch to a LH auto shotgun about a decade ago and won't go back to a RH auto shotgun, it's nice not having crud coming out of the ejection port and getting on my arms or face. It is easier to clear malfunctions with a backwards gun though.

As for pump guns and auto rifles I just buy RH guns. I've never had a problem shooting my RH ARs but have had issues with RH rimfires throwing excessive crud in my face while shooting dirty (the cheap mexcian and Russian) ammo.

For bolt guns I'll only but LH but if you're only going to shoot off a bipod a RH gun would actually work better.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:48 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

LOVE my M-12 ! Solves that problem ! The Beretta 391 I used to have bothered me shooting at night. About like a flash camera going off a couple inches from your face when you are standing in the dark shooting at a clay that is 60 - 70 yards away. 1 3/8 oz of copper plated 6's in front of a healthy dose of 4756 will work wonders.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:34 am 
Field Grade

Several years ago, a friend shooting a right-handed gun as a left-handed shooter pulled the trigger and a huge report went off....the shell base was separated and a shredded case was all that was left. His bolt and firing pin were trash and the gun would not function any longer.

The shell was sent to the manufacturer who has reported back that they think the shell was completely full of powder...no wad or shot. What would that be 5-7 times the powder? How does that even happen?

The shell manufacturer is sending a flat of shells free and fixing his gun for him. Luckily the shooter got singed eyebrows but otherwise was unhurt. I suspect they are glad they aren't paying medical bills as well.

My conclusions...

As a left-hander I will only shoot left handed semi-autos.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:02 am 
Crown Grade

lsclmmr wrote:
Several years ago, a friend shooting a right-handed gun as a left-handed shooter pulled the trigger and a huge report went off....the shell base was separated and a shredded case was all that was left. His bolt and firing pin were trash and the gun would not function any longer.

The shell was sent to the manufacturer who has reported back that they think the shell was completely full of powder...no wad or shot. What would that be 5-7 times the powder? How does that even happen?

The shell manufacturer is sending a flat of shells free and fixing his gun for him. Luckily the shooter got singed eyebrows but otherwise was unhurt. I suspect they are glad they aren't paying medical bills as well.

My conclusions...

As a left-hander I will only shoot left handed semi-autos.

Les

Would you mind sharing who the manufacturer was?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:24 pm 
Field Grade

I recall it being a mainstream shell but don't recall exactly whose.

I did not avoid any shell manufacturer because of it.

This became, for me, a good reason why I only shoot left handed semi-auto's except for the odd let me try that for one or two shots.

I am not being politically correct...I just can't call out with certainty what manufacturer.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:56 pm 
Utility Grade

It's human nature to adapt. Plus having a very limited choice is LH shotguns, especially back in the late 60's when I started as a teenager shooting, required LH'ers TO adapt if you used autos. Safety...yes there's the debris in the eye issue but that can be minimized with safety glasses. Something I learned back when I was reloading and the type of powder I used sometimes left residue that at least twice took me out of action on dove fields while I found a place to wash my eye out. After hunts, I usually had black specks all over my face. Like I said I was young back then and it took me longer to learn from my mistakes. Hearing protection also was neglected I'm sorry to say. No matter what you shoot always wear safety glasses and hearing protection. Now gun safeties are another matter. I didn't know what I was missing until I pick up a left handed shotgun and felt for the first time how a real safety should operate. I have actually swapped out right handed safeties for left handed safeties on several guns. No more reaching around the trigger guard with my middle finger to take the safety off. And on that left handed shotgun, I don't believe I could operate the loading sequence as easy as I have adapted to using right handed guns. There are times on the dove field with the action is hot and heavy that I don't even remember loading another shell. It would be hard to teach this old dog the new trick of loading a left handed gun. It does help in this matter that I'm a selective left hander. That is I do everything left handed but write and bat a ball. I've come to the conclusion that many 'left' handers are not totally left handed. Many use the right hand (or foot, or eye, or etc.) for numerous tasks. I guess if I had learned shooting using a left handed shotgun then I would probably only prefer them. But there's so many fine shotguns out there to shoot and most are right handed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:00 am 
Presentation Grade

so here's my journey with right handed guns and being a left handed shooter.

1.Beretta Teknys 391 32"barrels Gold Sporting right handed model, shimmed with left handed spacers for fitment, also had a factory adjustable comb cut into the stock.

2.Beretta A400 Xcel sporting 32" barrels, right handed model, shimmed and fit again with factory shims and spacers, also a kick off model so no adjustable comb, also installed a monte carlo stock from a Parallel target model. Over 25,000 rounds shot this gun from C/B class into Master Class

3.Beretta A300 Outlander 28" barrels, right handed model, shimmed and setup for fitment with factory supplied shims.

4. Beretta 692 Sporting 32" barrels FACTORY LEFT HANDED MODEL!!!!!! fits like a dream, love the gun and couldn't be happier!

My journey taught me a few things.

1. Adjustable comb is wonderful
2. Monte Carlo stocks are great for making sure you have the same mount everytime, however a sporting stock fits my shooting better now
3. Get something with shims so that you can fit the gun for you
4. Right handed ejection of shells is such a minor deal, don't make it more of a problem then it needs to be
5. Don't reverse the safety, you'll get used to it
6. Right handed controls are more user friendly for me as I'm left handed dominate
7. Play with shims and try different things you'll find something that will fit.
8. Palm Swells are something to get used to when shooting a right handed stocked gun, depending on how severe the palm swell is determines my level of comfort with it.
9. Many "brownings" over and under's especially fit anyone despite being stocked right handed
10. If you have the money, and you have the dedication, get a custom stock made from a reputable custom stock maker.

Those are my top tens I guess, it's possible to shoot a right handed gun as a lefty and shoot it well, with modern day semi autos there's ZERO excuse to get one that doesn't offer a fitment shim system. That is a no bueno for me.

Adjustable Comb should not be over looked, and if you can get a gun with an adjustable comb and no shim system, then it's tick for tack and they cancel each other out basically if that makes sense. I'm somewhat shocked no one said anything about an adjustable comb stock. Many gun smiths can always add one for you, and the price to do is very affordable.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

"Fitment" - that word doesn't mean what you think it does. From Webster:
a fixed item of furniture or piece of equipment, especially in a house.

Most Browning O/Us are stocked neutral - I own one and shoot it fine

It isn't the shells flying across your vision, it's all the other crap that comes out of the ejection port that is harmful long term, and occasionally immediately.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

What happens at Alger Flats stays at Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:35 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

lsclmmr wrote:
shooter pulled the trigger and a huge report went off....the shell base was separated and a shredded case was all that was left.

Not as unusual as some might think. I had that event a couple of weeks ago.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

so we are going to argue what the proper definition of fitment is?

NSCA#620844

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

gdub41 wrote:
so we are going to argue what the proper definition of fitment is?

There's no argument............ :)

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

What happens at Alger Flats stays at Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:27 am 
Presentation Grade

good to hear, sometimes things get very dicey around here as tone of voice is not something that can be heard through the old key board.

Sometimes you have to take a step back and re-read things slowly.

NSCA#620844

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

On a waterfowl trip to ND 5 years ago, I had a few occasions to shoot facing into wind and wind/rain. I got a face full of crud and my gargoyle safety glasses were ineffective against the hot and burning gases. It was pretty unnerving. Had an encounter with crud in the face and eyes during a rainy hunt In Arkansas where there was no winds few months later. I’ve been shooting left handed semi autos since then for waterfowl but I shoot i shoot right handed Browning O/U and a weird little SxS for doves and clay games. Just ordered a left handed a400 xtreme plus!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

ALWAYS wear shooting glasses!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:56 pm 
Limited Edition

I have been shooting rh auto for 50 years. If they 'Beretta" offered a lh with a 30" bbl I'd try it. I always wear glasses. But I have never been touched by anything coming out of the ejection port.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next