ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Semi-autos, do lefties need LH models?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tvbh40a wrote:
I have been shooting rh auto for 50 years. If they 'Beretta" offered a lh with a 30" bbl I'd try it. I always wear glasses. But I have never been touched by anything coming out of the ejection port.

The A400 Xplor and Xtreme are both cataloged w/ 30" barrel.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:21 am 
Limited Edition

Skeet_Man wrote:
Tvbh40a wrote:
I have been shooting rh auto for 50 years. If they 'Beretta" offered a lh with a 30" bbl I'd try it. I always wear glasses. But I have never been touched by anything coming out of the ejection port.

The A400 Xplor and Xtreme are both cataloged w/ 30" barrel.

I have heard this before. Never seen one lh. Not at Coles or JEG.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm 
Field Grade

To each his own, but in my experience shooting a RH semi auto left handed, never had any issues. I was pleasantly surprised that the ejected shell was not even generally noticeable. I get the arguments, but have never had any issues.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

As a righty, I shot my son’s left hand 1100. I found the shell ejecting in front of my face to be highly annoying! I shot it fine, but the distraction alone would sway me to get the proper ejection.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

Tvbh40a,

FWIW I have a left handed A400 with a 30" barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:24 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Semi-autos never bother me ---except shooting under the lights at night. That FLASH you get in your face sometimes can be very distracting.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

driller wrote:
Semi-autos never bother me ---except shooting under the lights at night. That FLASH you get in your face sometimes can be very distracting.

There's more than that flash coming out of the ejection port.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

What happens at Alger Flats stays at Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Beretta no longer offers the LH 30" semi barrel. I tried to buy one and couldn't. Luckily, Joel Etchen had a used 30" I bought for $250 and it works very, very well. 2 jams in 8,000 rounds as a backup gun.

I have 2 LH 30" and 1 28".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:42 pm 
Utility Grade

I am right handed but left eye dominant and to damn old to change. I shot rh for 50 years plus i have over the last 20 yrs acquired left handed sim autos 1187 good gun but shot a smith&wesson rh 12 ga for years. i guess thats why I'm partial to o/u so its not a big deal just enjoy the sport

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:54 pm 
Field Grade

For the individual who stated:

'I was at the this very quandary on whether to get my nephew who is a Southpaw a LH semi auto as promised for his HS graduation present.'

If he's a new shooter, I would recommend you check for eye dominance first and have him shoot from the shoulder of the dominant eye. Just because he's left handed doesn't necessarily mean he's left eye dominant.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:37 pm 
Field Grade

The 1100 throws residue in my face. My 390 doesn't bother me, except at night when it blinds me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:54 pm 
Crown Grade

PennSkeet wrote:
For the individual who stated:

'I was at the this very quandary on whether to get my nephew who is a Southpaw a LH semi auto as promised for his HS graduation present.'

If he's a new shooter, I would recommend you check for eye dominance first and have him shoot from the shoulder of the dominant eye. Just because he's left handed doesn't necessarily mean he's left eye dominant.

I was the author of that comment. I had already checked his eye dominance and he is definitely stuck shooting as a Lefty. After a GREAT amount of looking around for LH semis, I instead opted for a like new 26 inch barreled Benelli SuperNova which allows for the safety to be reversed. It also solves the trash in the face possibility unless he learns to pump as fast or faster than a semi auto.

BTW, I was very surprised how many makers do not have safeties that can be reversed for LH operation.

The SuperNova will serve him well for many uses, and I have been pleasantly surprised at the thought that went into its design such as a magazine cutoff. I have not ever seen that on a pump. The QC as shown in its machining is also top notch.

It should serve him as a do anything gun. It will also work well for a teenager who does not care to maintain his stuff. A very bad habit learned from his dad. This thread has been very informative, thanks to all.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:21 pm 
Utility Grade

I do have a southpaw CZ o/u but all my other auto loaders, pumps, and single shot break opens are R.H and I shoot left hand. In the army the range office told me to deal with it since there were no LH rifles. Never had a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:39 am 
Presentation Grade

I tried a left hand gun one time. After shooting right hand guns all my life, it didn't feel right. Went back to a right hand.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

RH Semi's are also awkward to load for a lefty.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:06 am 
Utility Grade

I am a LH shooter. 40 years experience.

I prefer RH pumps and autos.

When holding the shotgun with your left hand on the pistol grip it is very easy to load through the ejection port using your right hand and your shell pouch hanging off your right side.

The semi autos I have had have always thrown the emptys to the right and forward of my shooting position.

BlueSmoke

http://www.sjhardware.us

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:26 am 
Field Grade

It is a big distraction when a big ball of flame comes out the port in your face at night.

1100's are worse than 390's getting it in the face.

Too bad Remington doesn't make the completion in lh.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:34 am 
Presentation Grade

I've shot over 30,000 rounds through a SuperX-1 and now a 390 Beretta over the last 4 years. I don't have a problem with it. I just put a Left handed stock on them and go shoot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:04 am 
Crown Grade

To each his own, you are the only one you have to satisfy. Well, at least in regard to the gun you shoot. Personally, as a lefty, I don't like things made for right handed folks, period! Some things don't matter, particularly if you have been using them so long anything else just doesn't seem right. All my guns are left handed. My rifles have left handed bolts & even my muzzle loaders have left handed locks. The only reason I don't own a lever gun is they eject out of the wrong side, at least the ones I like, otherwise. The only right handed things that seems natural & right are my double guns & my revolvers. I have been using them the way they are so long anything else would be unnatural. However, even those have had some hiccups, like backward cast & cheek pieces on the wrong side!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:48 am 
Crown Grade

geometric wrote:
To each his own, you are the only one you have to satisfy. Well, at least in regard to the gun you shoot. Personally, as a lefty, I don't like things made for right handed folks, period! Some things don't matter, particularly if you have been using them so long anything else just doesn't seem right. All my guns are left handed. My rifles have left handed bolts & even my muzzle loaders have left handed locks. The only reason I don't own a lever gun is they eject out of the wrong side, at least the ones I like, otherwise. The only right handed things that seems natural & right are my double guns & my revolvers. I have been using them the way they are so long anything else would be unnatural. However, even those have had some hiccups, like backward cast & cheek pieces on the wrong side!

Sure, the new Beretta O/U has left handed wood including palm swell but right handed mechanism, and that is just fine. That is a very sensible combination and I'm sure is quite cost effective for Beretta.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next