ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My continuing quest for a stack-barrel
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:36 pm 
Field Grade

As an adult onset shooter, I've dabbled in a bit of hunting and clays. I moved very near a trap field and proceeded to borrow my buddy's SBE 1 lefty so that I could dip my tow in the water. A year later I bought my one and only gun, Benelli M2 28" lefty. I've had it nearly two years now, hunted quackers and pheasants and gobblers with it, and mostly shot clays(trap, 5 stand, sporting). 7,050 shells through the chamber and she hasn't missed a beat, but I've been longing for another gun. Something with an action I won't have to wrap a rubberband around to keep the grandpas from yelling at me on the trap field as my hulls fly around. I know there's many great semi-auto target offerings, but I've got my mind set on a double barrel. Life is too short not to try it, besides I've only got one gun right now. This probably would have happened a while ago if not for the fact of my left eye dominance. I've looked far and wide for a gun that is somewhat versatile and actually FITS a left-eye shooter. I've called browning and beretta. I also WILL NOT buy a barrel that is ported, many discussions and info on this so I won't rehash it here, I'll just state that it's simply not for me. The two options that I came up with for a brand-name, "bang for your buck" gun are the Beretta SP1 sporting in left hand or the Browning CXS. I figure both these guns in 30" will make good clay guns(I prefer a flat shooter vs. a trap gun) and also be serviceable for pheasant hunting, primarily serving as my backup for out of town trips). Although browning told me on the phone and I've read in print that most if not all citoris are neutral stocks, I've checked many at the store and the toe as well as some stocks cast off a good deal. Anyways I'm glad I've narrowed it down to these two guns, and now I can keep my eye open for used versions, sales, or mfg. rebates and buy when the time is right. Longtime reader, 1st post.

Post subject: Re: My continuing quest for a stack-barrel
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:06 am 
Utility Grade

Your want echos my thoughts. I have tried the Browning CXS and did not care for it as well as I thought I would. I have a 1990's Beretta 682 with 28 inch barrels that I like but it has a bit of cast and toe for a right hander. I prefer a 60/40 pattern over 50/50. I like you are searching for the right o/u without breaking the bank. I would stay with 30 inch barrels as anything longer just does not feel right for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:48 am 
Limited Edition

I'm a huge Beretta fan so take that into consideration, so my recommendation would be to give the Beretta O/U a try if you can find one with a left handed stock. The best places to look (IMO) would be Joel Etchen's or Cole's. If you aren't familiar with them, just google and you'll be on their sites quickly. Any of the 680 series of guns would do. The designated Sporting, Skeet or Trap guns are heavier than the hunting guns.
Good luck in your quest.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:53 am 
Presentation Grade

You better handle both guns before you just buy one. It's almost certain you'll like one and not the other. They most assuredly do not have the same fit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:30 pm 
Limited Edition

The cxs is a nice gun but does not come in a left hand it has a palm swell for a right handed shooter but has no cast to it the beretta does come in a left hand version with palm swell and cast on. If you could locate a older Browning citori they have no cast or palm swell.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:56 am 
Presentation Grade

I just got a Rizzini BR-110 in 20 ga w/ left hand stock for Sporting Clays(32” barrels) and really like it though the weather has been too hot to shoot it much. Really like the gun and it is easy to hit clays.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:00 am 
Crown Grade

Vette Jockey2 wrote:
You better handle both guns before you just buy one. It's almost certain you'll like one and not the other. They most assuredly do not have the same fit.

I would go one step further and fine some to actually SHOOT. Putting it up to your shoulder in a store is one thing; how it recoils into your shoulder and cheek might be completely different.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:24 am 
Presentation Grade

Go with the Beretta. I bought a left hand 687 Silver Pidgeon 2 Sporting back in 2003 and have never looked back.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:24 pm 
Limited Edition

Go for the gusto. I have a DT 11 lefty. It is 4 months old. Save a thousand dollars off of new on a great Beretta.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:46 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Why not a ported barrel ???? It's a lot of fun when you smear black axel grease in the ports and squad next to a guy you don't care for.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As a lefty myself, you need to see if you can shoot both before you buy. I owned an older Browning 625 LH, and it didn't have nearly enough cast for me and pounded my cheek. I've talked to other shooters who found the Beretta did the same to them. Semi-autos are way more forgiving in this regard...

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:07 am 
Crown Grade

IMO, moving to higher price point guns like fine O/Us, I think the advice regarding trying them on first is sage. I`m fortunate that the majority of off the shelf guns fit me well. No way, though, I`d spend that kind of money sight unseen. Bought my L4S IH without trying it first, it fits fine, but it represents my personal upper limit price wise for doing that.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:50 am 
Utility Grade

Try a Browning 725 "Field". Ambidextrous without porting. I agree with the comment that if Brownings seem to fit you, Berettas won't. Both good guns, but different fit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:39 am 
Field Grade

I ended up going with the browning CXS White edition 30" non-ported Bbl. Of all the browning O/U I looked at in gun shops over the past 3 years it caught my eye as my favorite. It seems to be cast neutral although the toe kicks out a touch and of course the RH palm swell. It weighs 7lbs 12 0z. so is heavier than my M2 28" 12ga which on the benelli site states 7.2 lbs. I plan on using it at the pheasant farm as well as some wild bird hunts that aren't in extremely rough terrain. I shoot it well, and have seemed to add a bird or two to my SC scores. I've got 1,000 rounds through it in the last two months. Picked it up for $1600 after the browning rebate of $50.