ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice For A New LH Shooter
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:01 pm 
Utility Grade

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Recently picked up shooting sports in the past year, and have been plagued with pretty terrible cheek bruising. I currently use a Beretta 686 sporting LH, and after a round of sporting clays my cheek is severely bruised and in some cases raw. I am looking for any feedback or tips to correct my poor form and become a better shooter. Any insight or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Advice For A New LH Shooter
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Make sure you keep your cheek firmly on the stock until long after you’ve pulled the trigger. Lots of folks with cheek problems who are new tend to lift their heads off the stock as they shoot, then get hit in the face as the gun comes up and back.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:26 pm 
Limited Edition

mpolans wrote:
Make sure you keep your cheek firmly on the stock until long after you’ve pulled the trigger. Lots of folks with cheek problems who are new tend to lift their heads off the stock as they shoot, then get hit in the face as the gun comes up and back.

What he said ^ ....

I responded to your other thread, sounds to me its a mounting and hold through the trigger pull. You're coming off the gun a bit before the bang ................

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:29 pm 
Utility Grade

mpolans wrote:

Thank you, I will definitely make sure to try this next time I'm out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Beauxdacous wrote:
mpolans wrote:

What he said ^ ....

I responded to your other thread, sounds to me its a mounting and hold through the trigger pull. You're coming off the gun a bit before the bang ................

Thank you so much for the tip, cant wait to try it out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:51 pm 
Field Grade

It will help to have someone help you check your gun fit as well. I have realized that if the length of pull is too long, I am more likely to have the stock slap my cheek.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:44 pm 
Utility Grade

If you have a well developed gun mount, you likely need a pitch change to stop cheekslap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:36 pm 
Utility Grade

As a neophyte lefty trap shooter I feel your pain. I opted for a neutral cast Browning BT99 And did fair my first year. I ordered a left-handed stock from https://precisionfitstocks.com/ and highly recommend it. My gun mounting has become much more consistent and I can see an improvement in my scores. Life is too short to shoot an incorrectly cast shotgun!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

What snapcap2 said.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Make sure you keep your cheek on the stock. Also, lefty folks tend to have more cheek problems when they're shooting stocks with cast for right handed shooters. I second the recommendation for a PFS so you can adjust it to fit you. Used ones periodically pop up for around $850-950, and as long as they're the newer versions, you generally get your money back if you decide to sell them. I've got a one or two I've been meaning to sell, but just haven't got around to it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Being left handed probably does not have much to do with it if you are shooting a left handed gun. The gun probably does not fit. Just a guess but like snapcap2 says, it is probably pitch. Here is an excellent resource.

https://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bi ... 124&sr=8-1

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Without seeing you in person it's tough to say for sure, but I echo the pitch adjustment -- and it's an easy thing to fix. If you're portly or more barrel-chested than average, you will likely need to add pitch. A quick and easy way to see if this will help is loosen the lower screw of your buttpad, remove the top screw and slide 2 3/8" washers under that hole, and tighten up. Now shoot it and see if it's better. If it is, you could try adding a third washer, but at some point you run the risk of cracking the backing plate on the pad. A more permanent fix is an inexpensive "pitch spacer," available in 1/8", ¼" and ½" and then grind down to match existing pad dimensions: https://www.amazon.com/100-Straight-Pro ... 712&sr=8-2

Note: It's pretty easy to reduce the "wedge" of the ½" with a belt sander to your desired thickness if it's too much. The 1/8" is very subtle and almost never enough, and the ¼" is generally pretty good, but often not quite enough either.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...