ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DVD
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Anthony,
Just wanted to let you know the bucks spent on your new DVD is one of the best moves I've made in a while. I had kind of lost the "fire in my belly" over the last few years and my shooting showed it (AA down to B). I had a slew of problems so after a quick run through of the basic's, especially the practice vs. recreational shooting. I went out and started like at the beginning. Fortunately I can go to my local club, lock down the trap at a specific angle and walk around it 180 degrees. There is a voice actuated device I can use and with the social distancing I can pick days when I have the place to myself. After a couple of hundred rounds of that for practice I went to Central Virginia Sporting Clays. Their Long Range system allows me to shoot by myself so the social distancing rules are kept intact. I shot the course and then concentrated on those presentations that gave me trouble. I would come back home, review notes from previous sessions with you, look at the pertinent chapter on the DVD and go back at it. Then repeat. I think I have taken a GIANT step forward and can't wait for registered shooting to start up again. In short you stocked the fire now I just have to do the work. Good job Anthony, thank you.
Phil Smith
p.s.
I'm 87 now and plan to be a pain in the A$$ for other B class shooters and the Old farts.

Post subject: Re: DVD
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:50 pm 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

Phil,

That is greAt to hear. Keep at it!!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have been shooting 10 years and worked my way up thru some of the classes. I really enjoy studying this stuff, consequently have some DVDs and books which have helped quite a bit. I know a lot of things about the sport, but never have I seen a source like your DVDs that put it all together. I almost made the mistake of thinking I didn't need to order the Fundamentals Dvd, I am so glad I got it in addition to the Advanced. I have gone thru so many ways to shoot "going away" targets, but your explanation is the best I have seen and I am using it to good effect. If there is better instruction for sporting clays out there, I've never seen or heard of it. It is obvious you spent a LOT of time scripting and arranging the content. One question.....what is a knuckleball target.....I'm sure I've seen it but don't know the term.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:13 pm 
Field Grade

Just bought the DVD and would highly recommend new and experienced shooters watch.Was going to share with my shooting buddies, but I can see I will be using it for one lesson at a time, then practice then review. They can go buy their own. I think it is the best DVD I have ever bought for shooting.

Just my 2 cents!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Good reports.

In the Advanced, where Anthony talks about fast crossers with short windows, making your move from the HP and going straight to the BPT while looking at the tgt. Has anyone put this into serious practice? It would seem difficult to me to be mounted and let's assume that the trap is hidden from view and it comes out behind a bush or some obstacle and you get your first visual. You would need to know the EXACT line and go to the BPT with your muzzle while your eyes are moving with the tgt. I'm going to try it the next time out, but it seems difficult.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

4th. down wrote:
Good reports.

In the Advanced, where Anthony talks about fast crossers with short windows, making your move from the HP and going straight to the BPT while looking at the tgt. Has anyone put this into serious practice? It would seem difficult to me to be mounted and let's assume that the trap is hidden from view and it comes out behind a bush or some obstacle and you get your first visual. You would need to know the EXACT line and go to the BPT with your muzzle while your eyes are moving with the tgt. I'm going to try it the next time out, but it seems difficult.

What is BPT? and when does this come up in the video? If you are talking about the section on crossers (~10 mins into the video), this is MMS.

You mention that it would seem to be difficult to be mounted - I would classify this shot as a hard shot no matter which position you start the gun relative to your face. There is a lot of trust and your setup needs to be detailed because the shot requires the trust and limited-to-no time to correct yourself during the mount and taking the shot. You're also going to have to know how much lead is required because there's going to be limited feel to the shot (definitely no stretch to the target if you are doing it as he prescribes). By keeping the gun outside of your face it allows you to start with a more dynamic approach to the target (rather than a static pre-mounted start) which should also allow for better sight and potentially a little 'feel' to the move, though it won't be nearly as much as a 'standard' crosser.

This can easily be simulated on the skeet field. You never see the trap and you will have a visual pickup somewhere outside of the trap because there really isn't a difference between the target coming behind a tree and coming out of the house, except for call-to-target timing and committing to a break point which may be different if you regularly shoot skeet.

The timing issue can be negated/simulated with a friend or other shooter slow pulling you or configuring a different way to delay the trap releasing the target. At the end of the day you shouldn't be moving when calling pull anyways.

Obviously I am not Anthony Matarese Jr so take it or leave it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:35 pm 
Crown Grade

zxcvbnm wrote:
4th. down wrote:
Good reports.

What is BPT? and when does this come up in the video? If you are talking about the section on crossers (~10 mins into the video), this is MMS.

You mention that it would seem to be difficult to be mounted - I would classify this shot as a hard shot no matter which position you start the gun relative to your face. There is a lot of trust and your setup needs to be detailed because the shot requires the trust and limited-to-no time to correct yourself during the mount and taking the shot. You're also going to have to know how much lead is required because there's going to be limited feel to the shot (definitely no stretch to the target if you are doing it as he prescribes). By keeping the gun outside of your face it allows you to start with a more dynamic approach to the target (rather than a static pre-mounted start) which should also allow for better sight and potentially a little 'feel' to the move, though it won't be nearly as much as a 'standard' crosser.

This can easily be simulated on the skeet field. You never see the trap and you will have a visual pickup somewhere outside of the trap because there really isn't a difference between the target coming behind a tree and coming out of the house, except for call-to-target timing and committing to a break point which may be different if you regularly shoot skeet.

The timing issue can be negated/simulated with a friend or other shooter slow pulling you or configuring a different way to delay the trap releasing the target. At the end of the day you shouldn't be moving when calling pull anyways.

BPT = break point - should have just been BP as in HP.

I get the feel it's almost like spot shooting if the window is short, the tgt. has speed and it's going into a tree line quickly. Kinda like mount off the front edge at the BP, kinda like shooting wild quail in brush.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

4th. down wrote:
zxcvbnm wrote:
4th. down wrote:
Good reports.

BPT = break point - should have just been BP as in HP.

I get the feel it's almost like spot shooting if the window is short, the tgt. has speed and it's going into a tree line quickly. Kinda like mount off the front edge at the BP, kinda like shooting wild quail in brush.

Not exactly sure what you mean by the tree-line statement but its hard to spot shoot a crossing target because of the amount of perceived movement of the target. Since the target is moving a significant amount laterally and potentially moving vertically, spot shooting by keeping the barrel at or very close to the BP may limit your vision. By moving with the target and committing to the BP/timing it may raise your % of hitting that type of shot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:26 am 
Presentation Grade

4th. down wrote:
Good reports.

It works if you just let yourself do it. Trust yourself to go right to the correct lead instead of placing and pulling away when you won’t have time. It kind of forces you to focus on the bird the way you are supposed to and lessens your focus on the gap. Takes some practice to get used to it. Most skeet shooters probably do it well. It’s basically a fast maintained lead.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:34 am 
Crown Grade

When I get a fast, short window crosser, I shoot them much like a low house station 8.

Move on the flash of the target, cover it up and pull the trigger. Definitely a trust shot.

Surprisingly one of the few targets that I don't have an issue with.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:19 pm 
Crown Grade

xsshooter wrote:
When I get a fast, short window crosser, I shoot them much like a low house station 8.

Move on the flash of the target, cover it up and pull the trigger. Definitely a trust shot.

Sounds good, I'm going to try that tomorrow on sporting if I can find a presentation like that. Low house 8, hadn't thought about that one. The problem is on Low 8, you're so close it doesn't require perceived lead whereas a fast 35 yd. short window crosser does and covering it, you should be behind, but anyway, going to try it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

4th. down wrote:
xsshooter wrote:

Sounds good, I'm going to try that tomorrow on sporting if I can find a presentation like that. Low house 8, hadn't thought about that one. The problem is on Low 8, you're so close it doesn't require perceived lead whereas a fast 35 yd. short window crosser does and covering it, you should be behind, but anyway, going to try it.

Fundamentally I can see where the shot is the same. You are inserting to the lead. The lead on station 8 is right on the target, which may be a little easier than inserting to a larger gap between barrel and target.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:19 am 
Presentation Grade

30 yrd fast crosser about the height of a high house skeet bird. There was no covering the bird. The gun was inserted right to the lead with hard focus on the bird trusting yourself to put the gun in the right spot. Was surprised how quickly I was able to do it with his instructions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Boomhand wrote:
30 yrd fast crosser about the height of a high house skeet bird. There was no covering the bird. The gun was inserted right to the lead with hard focus on the bird trusting yourself to put the gun in the right spot. Was surprised how quickly I was able to do it with his instructions.

That's great and not easy to do, repeatedly.

In your post above, you mentioned something of paramount importance. Basically forget gap - eyes only on the tgt. and shoot going directly from your hold point to the break zone with your muzzle.

Shot sporting today and only 1 presentation on the entire course I couldn't break and I shot at it about 10 times and quit, using all kinds of different methods..........but not what you mentioned above. Fast, full spring crosser about 45 yds. out from the stand, running low along a tree line and from the trap to when the tgt. hits the ground, it travels about 60 yds. At the halfway point it begins multiple moves into various transitions and finally hits the ground with a hard right curl. The last 10 yds. of flight, it's about 2 feet off the ground 45 yds. out and still has speed on it. This is obviously a separator station.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

4th. down wrote:
Fast, full spring crosser about 45 yds. out from the stand, running low along a tree line

Ran into something similar the other day and after some failed attempts a buddy pointed out that the speed was an illusion having a solid back ground of trees and being low to the ground wasn't going near as fast as I thought,told me to cut my lead in half and guess what success :) nailed a few in a row.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:31 pm 
Crown Grade

hopper810 wrote:
4th. down wrote:
Fast, full spring crosser about 45 yds. out from the stand, running low along a tree line

Ran into something similar the other day and after some failed attempts a buddy pointed out that the speed was an illusion having a solid back ground of trees and being low to the ground wasn't going near as fast as I thought,told me to cut my lead in half and guess what success :) nailed a few in a row.

IMO, very good points. these trapsetters are getting more proficient every year and the tgts. seem to be harder each year forward.

He had me and many others fooled with speed. It was fast, but in reality, not that fast. Like a rabbit, you shoot in front and miss because of the illusion of the ground to the clay tgt. Same with the trees, running low along a tree line, all edge, and close to the ground which makes the brain think its really fast. The 2 together confirms to the brain its fast and you over lead and you kinda panic to get to your hold point because it's the 2nd. tgt. of a report pair with the first tgt. a right to left chondel that comes from behind a tree, leaving your muzzle up in the sky at trigger and having to bring the muzzle back down low to get to the bird which has already been launched on report at the chondel. The trapsetter was not going to let you set up on the crosser as the first tgt.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:38 am 
Clays Expert
Clays Expert

Knuckle ball is a target thrown with very little speed which can be recognized by how far the target flys.

Shooting a crossing target quickly you will want to move laterally on the line of the target from hp to bp. This is not spot shooting. Spot shooting works well to shoot quickly when the target has little to no angle.

Thanks for all the great reviews. If you don’t mind post them also in the sporting clay forum. You can also leave reviews on Amazon.