ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CZ Double Barrel 20 ga (Huglu)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:13 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently purchased a CZ double barrel 20 ga that is of course made by Huglu. I have yet to find out a lot of information about this gun on the internet. It appears to have never been shot and must have been kept in the back of someone’s safe. While it’s a very nice/beautiful gun I’m wondering if it would be a better fit for someone who Pheasant hunts or do most hunters use O/U.?? Can anyone provide additional information or let me know a link where I could find additional information on it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: CZ Double Barrel 20 ga (Huglu)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:57 pm 
Crown Grade

It looks just like my 20 ga. except mine has a blued & case hardened finish. They have had some hiccups & problems but I think I may get good service out of mine. The problems I have heard are with firing pins & springs. If the rest of the gun is as good as it looks, it would be worth paying to fix those, considering the price. However, CZ will fix it for free if it breaks if you qualify under their warranty. I am not sure if it applies to 3rd party owners. I can't tell, but if it has double triggers, I think it would be a SO or a Bobwhite. My SO 12ga. has that type of finish. It has been drug through every mudhole from SC to Manitoba & quite a few Hevi Shot reloads fired in it. It is currently showing no signs of any problems. Whether you shoot a O/U or a SXS is a matter of personal preference as far as I know. I am not an expert on that issue. I believe that the purest among us will tell you that a O/U is more of a competition clay bird gun & a SXS is more of a hunters game gun but many will disagree. My SO has taken a fair number of ducks, geese, pheasants & sharptail grouse. The Bobwhite hasn't been pheasant hunting yet but that may change soon! It has taken local birds & small game & all is well so far.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:47 pm 
Utility Grade

It does have double triggers and Upland engraved on it. The gun is in pristine condition but I have no idea how old of a gun it is. Does Huglu use serial numbers to date their guns..??

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:01 pm 
Crown Grade

It is probably not a G2 but I like the old model better in some respects. The old model has a cross bolt. If you can see a round bolt that goes through a barrel extension, it is the old model. The action is likely stronger. The G2 has coil springs which are pretty much trouble free, but no cross bolt. I don't know if that matters but I like the cross bolt, called a 3rd. bite. You can go on "GUNS INTERNATIONAL" & see what they are selling for & they will sell it for you if that is what you want.
Good Luck!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Well if I’m understanding you correctly it does have a cross bolt. I’ve attached a pic to make sure I’m looking at the right thing

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

On the barrel flats, there will be a serial number. The first two digits are the year of manufacture.

The firing pin issue was resolved in 2007 (I believe).

I have the DT gun (Partridge) in 20 gauge manufactured in 2008 AND have a DeHaan SO in 16 gauge. I love them both.

I did have a trigger job done by my LGS and the gun did double once, but I've had no trouble with it. I do enjoy the DT, straight grip guns.

The DeHaan SO has been flawless.

Maggs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:37 pm 
Utility Grade

Thx Maggs

Going by what you are telling me it appears this gun would have been manufactured in 2012. From what I’m understanding from Geometric the older guns have the cross bolt which I’m assuming is what I’m seeing in the last pic that I posted. I have looked on Gun Broker and Guns International and I’m just not finding guns like this one. This tells me that there must be several people out there who are like you and Geometric and are VERY HAPPY with what CZ/Huglu are producing and are hanging on to them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

So, let's do this right!

Welcome to the Huglu forum! I haven't been too active of a participant in the last few years, but the Huglu Forum used to be (and I am sure still is) a great place to hang out.

If you look back through the history, there are quite a number of members that can provide insight on the SxS, O/U, and semi autos.

One of the members here, keeps track of every shot that he's fired in a spreadsheet. He also has a CZ Canvasback that had over 30,000 shots fired with NO issues. Hopefully, he'll be along soon to say hello.

There are quite a number of folks that can provide insight on LOTS of different firearm, dog training, and other outdoorsy type questions.

So, Welcome, enjoy your CZ. Your gun does seem to have nice wood.

As for the pheasant hunters... not sure. I carried a Beretta 686 in 20 gauge for about 20 years. It is a lovely gun that tips the scales at 6.0 lbs even. I love it, BUT once I found the DeHaan SO in 16 gauge, that has been my go-to gun.

Typically, I shoot low gun (Vintage Skeet) with it, but love to go to local Sporting Clays events and try to keep up with the big guys. Some days, I do and some days, I don't!!

Enjoy.
Maggs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:15 am 
Utility Grade

Thx again Maggs..!! It’s good to be here for sure.

So then I’m assuming that this gun is considered to be an “Upland Sterling”....?? Is that correct..??

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:23 am 
Crown Grade

Yes, that is the cross bolt I was talking about. My comments in regard to the G2 were based on what I read about it & pictures of the new G2. Actually it was a post on here as I recall. I don't know that all models are the same. The picture of the G2 didn't appear to show a cross bolt. That is not necessarily negative. You got me on the "Upland Sterling". I don't know. I am very satisfied with mine & am optimistic that they will give me trouble free service as long as I own them. Good luck with yours!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Philco5775 wrote:
Thx again Maggs..!! It’s good to be here for sure.

So then I’m assuming that this gun is considered to be an “Upland Sterling”....?? Is that correct..??

The reference to Upland Sterling that I see seem to point to O/U guns.

I have not heard of Upland Sterling until today.

Maggs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:36 am 
Presentation Grade

I’m no CZ expert but trust that they are here. All have been amazing in helping me since I stumbled in here from the B gun forums lol. I’ve not been back there much since. Welcome and congratulations on your gun, it is beautiful. I’ve owned a CZ Redhead Mini O/U for several years now and I love it. It’s primary use was supposed to be rabbits with beagles but I did venture into an Alabama bob white hunt and it was just as at home there as chasing bunnies. It’s primary use has actually been sporting clays, an activity I had never participated in until I got this gun. It performs very well but admittedly, and I think most would agree, a 28 gauge is significantly underpowered for SC in most situations. Even at that I still manage in the low to mid seventies most days thou I’ve yet to break 80 yet lol. The gun can only do so much, eventually I have to contribute something lol. The only issue was difficulty opening after firing the top bbl. it did this from shot number one out of the box. It turned out it was a top firing pin protrusion issue, a problem that was quickly diagnosed by several on this very forum I might add. CZ corrected the issue quickly and for free including shipping. I’d have to look to get the actual numbers but that was several thousand rounds ago and not a single hiccup since. I couldn’t be happier with mine. Again congratulations on a great looking gun and welcome to the huglu forum.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Thx Daniel

I stumbled in to this gun and quickly fell in love with it because of the beauty of the wood and of the looks of the gun over all. Have never owned a CZ before but my brother in law has a CZ pistol and absolutely loves it. Again, I have attempted to find some for sale but they must be the type of guns that everyone hangs on to. Thanks again for the welcome..!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:24 pm 
Field Grade

From a little internet sleuthing... that appears to be a CZ (made in Turkey) Upland 202 Special Edition. There was a conversation on this forum back in 2011 about the same gun. Apparently there was a limited run of this model in 2011 that had a case hardened receiver and a little later they ran the model with the receiver "in the white" or what they were calling a "coin finish". From what I can find, the insides were pretty much the original CZ Bobwhite.

Either way... a fantastic buy on a great looking gun! I am on the hunt for something similar in a 28 ga. Still not sure if I want a O/U or a SxS. Probably will depend on what good deal I find first.

OkKeith