ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lubricating the internals on my Bobwhites.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Is there a way to grease or lub the internals without dissambly. If I have have to do a minimal dissambly how do I do it? Thx in advance.

Post subject: Re: Lubricating the internals on my Bobwhites.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:18 am 
Crown Grade

Actually, the process should be CLEAN and lubricate, and any attempt without pulling the butt stock and removing the barrels is just a futile attempt likely to do more harm than good. The procedure I use is to remove the forend and then the barrels. Next, the recoil pad is removed and a 12mm thin wall socket and long extension is used to remove the through bolt and then the stock can be carefully pulled off to the rear. I then use a small plastic tub of mineral spirits and a few different shaped cleaning brushes to thoroughly clean the action. Blow the action dry using an air hose and then take a good gun oil and lubricates anything that rotates on a pin or slides against another surface. I used a paper clip straightened out to dip in the oil and deposit the oil exactly where I want it. You should use your air hose again to blow off any excess oil while backing the action with paper towels or an absorbent cloth. Re-assemble the gun in reverse order and go shooting. Grease is used on the hinge pin, locking lugs, and forend knuckle. It takes me about 30 minutes to do the job properly, and I don't have to worry about oil soaking a nice piece of wood like would happen from trying to do the job without pulling the butt stock.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:26 pm 
Crown Grade

What Riflemeister said is good poop. My Bobwhite is the older, pre G2 model. I haven't taken it apart recently but have done so several times. I don't recall exactly how it comes apart. Some box locks have a separate trigger plate assembly which entail more bolts & screws. None of them that I have seen were hard to take apart. You shouldn't have a problem if you have any mechanical inclinations. The only thing I would stress is use good screwdrivers that FIT the screw slots well. If a screw doesn't want to come out, don't panic. Take your time. If it is particularly stubborn, there are videos on the subject & the gunsmithing forum will help you. They know a lot of "tricks of the trade". Hopefully, you won't need any of that but it is nice to know it's there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Forgot to put in my post you will also need to remove the trigger guard before pulling the butt stock. Remove the one screw, pull the tang up out of it's mortice, and unscrew the guard counter clockwise. Be careful not to scratch the wood or action.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Actually, it is not hard to do. Even I do it.

Set aside plenty of uninterrupted time and take your time.

No need to take it apart any further than Riflemeister mentioned.

Have fun..........