ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2021 MLK Weekend Huglu Forum Pheasant Hunt
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:02 am 
Crown Grade

The hunt will be on the 16th and 17th of January with arrival at 4B's Hunting Preserve on the Friday the 15th afternoon/evening. The very thing that makes this such a great experience, staying in the bunkroom with your buddies, sharing meals and BSing about birds, dogs and missed shots, makes this hunt problematic without a vaccine for the China virus. That environment almost sounds like a Petrie dish for the start of a pandemic. We had a superficial discussion of this hunt during the pandemic earlier this year, but now we know it is unlikely there will be broad immunization occurring before the hunt dates. The February Alger Flats hunt MAY see a viable immunization if everything works out and we geezers are at the top of the list for immunization, but I don't think MLK weekend will make it. I need to hear from the rest of you guys on this so I can give Hal Brown a heads up one way or the other before he has to commit to buying all the pheasants. The preserves often have all the birds committed to before the October season start. Let me know what y'all want to do.

Post subject: Re: 2021 MLK Weekend Huglu Forum Pheasant Hunt
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am still on the fence about it, my DIL is in charge of statistical data for Covid 19 where she works, and things are not looking good. States are still recording record deaths, and positive tests every week. This fall coupled with the regular flu, and covid 19, things are looking bleak right now. I really wanted to come this year so you could get me on the straight and narrow with a SxS :D :D :D

cdb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:43 pm 
Crown Grade

cdb1097 wrote:
I am still on the fence about it, my DIL is in charge of statistical data for Covid 19 where she works, and things are not looking good. States are still recording record deaths, and positive tests every week. This fall coupled with the regular flu, and covid 19, things are looking bleak right now. I really wanted to come this year so you could get me on the straight and narrow with a SxS :D :D :D

cdb

We can do that without the MLK hunt if you have the time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

I too am on the fence. Even without the danger of COVID, my wife lost her job (due to cutbacks from lost revenue due to COVID) and depending on how long it takes her to get another one, my financial situation may be such that it is prudent to cut out unnecessary spending. Also, my Dad and Uncle have talked me into going to Ohio for a deer hunt with them on the family's land in Southeast Ohio. It will be just us and it's a lot of woods to isolate in but it will cost me out of state hunting license and deer tag along with travel expenses. If you held my feet to the fire and I had to give an answer right now, I would say that I won't be participating in the MLK hunt this year.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

I understand the comments thus far, and do not disagree with any of them.

It's been three years now since I hunted with y'all at 4 B's, and although I had serious constraints which made that necessary, that's too long a lapse.

If y'all are there, I'm there.

Drang nach Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Riflemeister wrote:
cdb1097 wrote:

cdb

We can do that without the MLK hunt if you have the time.

Straight and narrow?

Nope. With a double, it's high, wide and handsome!

Drang nach Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:43 am 
Tournament Grade

I WILL BE THERE. PERIOD.

I am coming. I am bringing my youngest son (adult) and two dogs.

My eldest son and D-I-L are both in health care and emphatically state that, at least in Oklahoma and Texas (where they reside), that the C-19 numbers are greatly exaggerated. Per DIL (Okla.) any C-19 test given is automatically listed as a positive result. It only ever gets changed back to a negative once it come back (if ever delivered back) so determined to be negative.

Per son, there is a HUGE difference in dying "with C-19" and dying "from C-19." In both Texas and Okla. any person who dies while infected with C-19 is listed as a C-19 death. If you have terminal congestive heart failure and die while infected, you are listed as a C-19 death regardless of your previous terminal condition.

Everyone must obviously make their own healthcare decisions and I FULLY support everyone doing so. Please don't construe my post to think that I am discounting anyone else's position or suggesting that my position is the only "right" answer. I however, will be at the hunt and look forward to seeing those who also decide to make the trip.

OklaMike
Clyde the Barbarian (7 yrs.)
Fritz the Destroyer (2 yrs.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:02 am 
Presentation Grade

Mike, it's exciting to contemplate seeing you and Clyde again, and meeting your son and Fritz. Hope it works out.

I still don't have a dog, and we'll have to evaluate the mix of hunters with dogs, and those of us who are stragglers.

Drang nach Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:39 am 
Tournament Grade

I really wanted to come up and hunt with the group last year but just couldn't swing it with work-travel commitments. I had to be in LA and then AR about that time and had hoped to just keep going north, but it didn't work out.

I suppose I have an odd work situation in normal times but because of who I work for (and how I work for them) I am somewhat on a "travel ban" right now.

Without boring details... I work for a conservation NGO out of Washington D.C. from a home office in Oklahoma. I am one of seven Regional Representatives across the country. I cover AR, LA, OK and TX working with Farmers and Ranchers on conservation and habitat projects through their local Soil and Water Conservation Districts (those may actually be boring details, sorry). We have been advised that all work travel is cancelled until the end of September with the likelihood of cancellations through the first of the year and beyond. This is pretty strict, no work related travel what-so-ever. We have been asked (only asked, not commanded, required or even strongly suggested) to limit any travel away from our home office so that we are not exposed and possibly contract COVID-19. This would lead to work delays and lagging projects if any one of us went down with the virus.

I do try and be responsible for not just myself but my community (both home community and work community) and do all I can to limit exposure and mitigate possible contact. With all that said, if the situation remains the same by the first of next year I would not be making the trip. If even one person I hunted with was infected (INSERT JOHN WAYNE QUOTE HERE: Your fault, my faulty, nobody's fault...) I would have a hard time dealing with that.

I really do hope some folks feel like it would be OK for them to go and the hunt happens, I doubt I will be making the trip this year though.

OkKeith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

2021 MLK hunt attendance update:

As stated above, I'll be attending and bringing my adult son.

BP Guy is attending and says Cully is a "probable" for the hunt again this year.

Larry W. is coming and thinks he can get his B-I-L to come again.

Sounds as though we'll have a core of hunters at any rate.

OklaMike

Clyde the Barbarian (7 y.o.)
Fritz the Destroyer (2 y.o.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Fairly obvious I will be there also with three dogs hopefully. I was hoping everyone would have their say, but go for it in the end.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:26 pm 
Field Grade

I was not able to male it this year with my pup due to work requirements but a job change back to only working five days a week at most will allow more hunting opportunities this season and I will be there in January and probably a couple times before that for some dog training.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:10 am 
Crown Grade

Byron Whitlock wrote:
I was not able to male it this year with my pup due to work requirements but a job change back to only working five days a week at most will allow more hunting opportunities this season and I will be there in January and probably a couple times before that for some dog training.

I bought two hunt packages at 4-B's this year in anticipation of working Rowdy's little butt off, then he died, so if you need someone to help out working your pup, I'm your man. I can bring my big dogs and work them and after late October, I'll have my pup back from John Prince's introduction to birds and gunfire, ready to throw him in that briar patch to see if he's a bird dog.

Full speed ahead.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:28 pm 
Field Grade

I will definitely take you up on that Rex! i plan to start him looking for prairie chickens next month when our early season opens here in Kansas and then in October will bring him over there for some quail and work our way in to pheasants.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:29 pm 
Crown Grade

I took Bode and Rebel over to 4-B's to hunt quail today and got updated on who has their $100 deposit in for the MLK weekend pheasant hunt. So far, the list of those with their deposit in is Larry Watford, Riflemeister, and HIFli.

If you are planning on making the hunt, it would be helpful to get your deposit in soon, so we can plan on how many we will have.

For your information, the cover in the fields looks real good and should support a great hunt by all.