ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Meet Dan, Newest Member Of The Crew
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

I can attest that RM's account of the transaction between Dan and Fritz is accurate.

Clyde the Barbarian (GWP)
Fritz the Destroyer (GWP)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:49 am 
Crown Grade

I took Dan out to 4-B's yesterday by himself and put him on a 10 bird quail package for the first time. He did a great job finding, holding steady and retrieving to hand on all 10 birds. He did get a little close on one bird that was up and wandering and it flushed on him, but it set back down in the field where he pointed and held steady, so I shot the bird. I got the feeling that he really enjoyed being the only dog out there and upped his game accordingly. His retrieving can use a little bit of polishing too, he likes to run around with the bird before finally bringing it in where I can get it, but realistically, every bird would have scored in a field trial.

By the way, he turned 8 months old on the 20th and now weighs 50.2 pounds. He's getting there, probably finish growing at 60 to 65 pounds, a little smaller than Rebel and Bode.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Riflemeister-

Sounds like you and Dan had a great day!

Both of my Brittanies (Meg and Bess) would always do a "victory lap" before they would bring me the bird.

OkKeith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Took Dan back out to 4-B's today for more quail work and he had another excellent day. He found all the birds again and handled them very well, although he did road in a bit on some of the birds. I need to take my bird launchers next time so I can pop the bird on him if he gets too close. The shooter (me) had a good day also, only one bird required the second barrel. I did have one little rooster get up and start circling me at about 10 yards. I was swinging on him and starting to bind up when my subconscious said shoot. Shades of Kannoncocker, he exploded and came down in 5 chunks instead of a bird with everything in the middle missing like KC did down in Alabama. KC certainly got style points for two wings, two legs, a head and neck all held together with a bit of skin. if I'm not mistaken it landed in a multiflora clump to add insult to injury.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sounds like he is going to be a really good dog. What is a bird launcher?

cdb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:58 pm 
Crown Grade

cdb1097 wrote:

cdb

It is a spring loaded cage with a netting platform that throws the bird a few feet into the air when it is electronically operated by a handheld controller. You can control how close you allow the dog to approach before you launch the bird. If the dog gets too close (roads in), you launch the bird like his getting too close caused it and don't shoot the bird so he can't get it in his mouth.

https://dg.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/1 ... 3310f12692

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:25 am 
Presentation Grade

Riflemeister wrote:
Took Dan back out to 4-B's today for more quail work and he had another excellent day. He found all the birds again and handled them very well, although he did road in a bit on some of the birds. I need to take my bird launchers next time so I can pop the bird on him if he gets too close. The shooter (me) had a good day also, only one bird required the second barrel. I did have one little rooster get up and start circling me at about 10 yards. I was swinging on him and starting to bind up when my subconscious said shoot. Shades of Kannoncocker, he exploded and came down in 5 chunks instead of a bird with everything in the middle missing like KC did down in Alabama. KC certainly got style points for two wings, two legs, a head and neck all held together with a bit of skin. if I'm not mistaken it landed in a multiflora clump to add insult to injury.

I remember that. You're waking up echoes, aren't you? We need to get that band back together. And I'd like to see Mike in the piney woods, too.

Drang nach Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Riflemeister wrote:
cdb1097 wrote:

cdb

It is a spring loaded cage with a netting platform that throws the bird a few feet into the air when it is electronically operated by a handheld controller. You can control how close you allow the dog to approach before you launch the bird. If the dog gets too close (roads in), you launch the bird like his getting too close caused it and don't shoot the bird so he can't get it in his mouth.

https://dg.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/1 ... 3310f12692

I thought it was a boot, kinda like you did on some of those balky birds :lol: :lol: :lol:

cdb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Kannoncocker wrote:
Riflemeister wrote:

I remember that. You're waking up echoes, aren't you? We need to get that band back together. And I'd like to see Mike in the piney woods, too.

Yes we do, hopefully this covid thing will be history next year, then we can resume hunting.

cdb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nice!