ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Easiest way to tell a varnish finish from an oiled one???
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:50 pm 
Limited Edition

Folks,
what it is easiest way of differentiating between an oiled finish and a varnish ?? I have a nice Miroku MK 70 o/u which I want to re-finish . I think it may have a varnish finish - but am not 100% sure. How you can easily tell between varnish and oil ? I dont want to take to the stripper if its oiled.
Any help appreciated.
Con

It doesnt matter if you miss the target - as long as you look good doing it !!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Easiest way to tell a varnish finish from an oiled one??
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:22 pm 
Crown Grade

For the most part varnished, Tru-oil, Linspeed or poly finished s will apppear shiny with a visible buildup of finish. Most "true" oil finished stocks will have a velvetly satin sheen and no visible thickness. Often you can see the pores in the wood with oiled guns. I usually use "pure tung oil" on my stocks. I sand them with wet or dry all the way to 1000 grit (available at auto refinishing suppliers). The wood is actually polished to have a nice sheen at this point. Tung dries reasonably quickly and can go from a dull sheen to something fairly shiny. Best of luck on the project.

Post subject: Re: Easiest way to tell a varnish finish from an oiled one??
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:30 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Try rubbing the finish in a 'quiet' area with methylated spirits, if this leaves a deposit on the cloth the finish is 'French' or oiled.Meths will not affect varnish.Moisten a cloth with Turpentine substitute (white spirit) this will remove wax and varnish but not 'french' or cellulose.Cellulose thinners will move cellulose (obviously ) but not affect other finishes.If none of these tests bear fruit we have to assume a modern synthetic finish, which will require a more aggressive stripper.