ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: re: WD 40
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Browningfan369 wrote:
I work in law enforcement and every year when we go up to qualify, we are reminded to never use WD-40 on our firearms.

Yes, but that doesn't have anything to do with rust or layers of goo or anything that would affect a shotgun.

A LEO's handgun is usually kept loaded for long periods of time. WD-40 is such a good penetrant, it can actually penetrate the tight joint between the primer and the cartridge case, and deactivate the primer.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... i_55605512

Most shotguns aren't kept loaded like that. Maybe a few HD guns.

Post subject: re: D 40
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:25 am 
Presentation Grade

WD-40 as a penetrating oil is way over rated and as a lubricant
even more over rated. As a rust preventative what a joke.
To even use it on a firearm is out of the question.
Would you or do use veggie oil in your car or truck engine.
NOT So why would you use a product such as WD-40 on a gun.
Just to go 1 step further to put any oil or oil impregnated product on the wooden part of a firearm is :roll: out of the question period.
I think so little of this product that I do not have any in the house or shop.

The above is my opinion
You have yours and I have mine
THE END
Dale

Post subject: re: WD 40
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

I hear that WD40 is soooooo bad that Jesse James used to use it to rob trains

He would just spray a little on the driver rods of the steam locomotive when it was at the depot, and the train would grind to a gooy stop before it got a mile out of town. 8)

Donno if it is true or not, just something I heard...... :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

When i started this thread, i did not expect such a huge response.

I am going to start a new thread called "sexy american gun tooting women who like middle aged, balding limey blokes".

I wonder if i get any offers ? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Funny, I heard WD was so GOOD.... Jessy James actually sprayed it on the tracks on a small hill. The tracks got so slick the train would get stuck at the bottom where Jessy would rob it. It is said that WD was so slick that it was up to a year before that train could be gotten up the hill, and to this very day, those tracks have still never rusted!!! 8)

Best to all,

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:26 pm 
Field Grade

I don't see what the whole issue is here. In my mind there should be no doubt that a specific gun oil be used like rem oil. WD-40 was meant to penetrate and free up rusted bolts and things like that. It was not meant to be used to stop rust, just penetrate through it. It was also not meant to be used in a gun. So why would you use it. Some of you old guys are real pigheaded or stubborn or something. WHY USE SOMETHING THAT WASN'T MEANT TO BE USED IN A GUN. USE AN OIL THAT WAS MEANT FOR A GUN. THEN YOU HAVE NO DOUBT ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE USING. IF YOU SPENT HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS TO BUY A NICE GUN, WHY WOULDN'T YOU SPEND THE EXTRA TWO DOLLARS TO GET REMOIL INSTEAD OF WD-40???????

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:27 pm 
Field Grade

gottergk wrote:
I don't see what the whole issue is here. In my mind there should be no doubt that a specific gun oil be used like rem oil. WD-40 was meant to penetrate and free up rusted bolts and things like that. It was not meant to be used to stop rust, just penetrate through it. It was also not meant to be used in a gun. So why would you use it. Some of you old guys are real pigheaded or stubborn or something. WHY USE SOMETHING THAT WASN'T MEANT TO BE USED IN A GUN. USE AN OIL THAT WAS MEANT FOR A GUN. THEN YOU HAVE NO DOUBT ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE USING. IF YOU SPENT HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS TO BUY A NICE GUN, WHY WOULDN'T YOU SPEND THE EXTRA TWO DOLLARS TO GET REMOIL INSTEAD OF WD-40???????
So, to get to the point, what are you trying to tell us old guys? :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Even as a non-fan, I think it has its uses on shotguns. I've used it to remove minor rust, as a bore solvent and to clean choke tubes. I, however, don't use it as a lube, don't rely on it as a protectant on my guns' exterior metal, and I keep it away from the receivers of my O/Us. In general, I greatly prefer G96 as a general-use CLP, but WD-40 does well at certain things.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:11 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

gottergk wrote:

Why does the WD-40 website say it can be used on firearms?

What about using WD-40 on my sports equipment?
WD-40 is safe and effective to use on all types of sporting goods. Use WD-40 on your bike to clean, degrease and lubricate your chain, derailleur, gears, cogs, and moving parts. It will help remove stickers. Use WD-40 to clean and protect your gun. It will prevent corrosion and it won't damage bluing. Spray it on dirt bikes to protect parts and prevent mud from sticking. Use it on watercraft to protect metal surfaces from corrosion and to drive out moisture. WD-40 is also great for cleaning golf clubs and preventing rust on hockey skate blades.
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html

Endowment Life Member NRA, NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Rifle,Shotgun,Handgun), Georgia Hunter Safety Instructor, Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor (Rifle,Shotgun). MOTTO: "Molding Young Minds Is The Future" & "I'm The NRA"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Jim Miller wrote:
I was told by no less than six gunsmiths that you should never use WD40 on firearms. I forget all of the reasons why but now only use Rem Oil. There are those that will claim that these gunsmiths don't know their business but I will go with the professional every time.

Just thought I would repeat this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

dovehunter wrote:

They want to sell it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Would you run veggie in your car if it said it was ok on
Crisco's web site?

Quote:
IF YOU SPENT HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS TO BUY A NICE GUN, WHY WOULDN'T YOU SPEND THE EXTRA TWO DOLLARS TO GET REMOIL INSTEAD OF WD-40???????

Because they blew there money on the gun they could not afford to start with.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:59 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

fastfire wrote:
dovehunter wrote:

They want to sell it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Would you run veggie in your car if it said it was ok on
Crisco's web site?

Quote:
IF YOU SPENT HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS TO BUY A NICE GUN, WHY WOULDN'T YOU SPEND THE EXTRA TWO DOLLARS TO GET REMOIL INSTEAD OF WD-40???????

Because they blew there money on the gun they could not afford to start with.

I use WD-40 & other oils. Each one has a different task.

Endowment Life Member NRA, NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Rifle,Shotgun,Handgun), Georgia Hunter Safety Instructor, Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor (Rifle,Shotgun). MOTTO: "Molding Young Minds Is The Future" & "I'm The NRA"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:29 pm 
Field Grade

Never had any problem with WD-40, works great on all my guns.

I wouldn't soak a gun with it, load it, then put it away so it can leech into the ammo... but for cleaning the inside/outside then wiping off it's great. All the hinges/switches then get a drop of Castrol Synthetic oil and I'm gtg.

Longer-term storage I've cleaned with WD-40, wiped off, wiped on a thin coat of Castrol Synthetic and gtg.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:04 am 
Crown Grade

Browningfan369 wrote:
I work in law enforcement and every year when we go up to qualify, we are reminded to never use WD-40 on our firearms. .

And what reason do they give you for not using WD-40 ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The main reason they said was because of the film build up and what effect it may have on the firearm functioning. We carry semi autos, the impression I got was they were trying to advoid any unneccessary stoppagesm espically in a tactical situation. I use to use WD-40 on all my hunting rifles, espically after being out in the rain all day.

#541119, http://www.claysnwings.com
Introduce a kid to the great outdoors, it's addictive!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:05 am 

Mokeman3 wrote:
Browningfan369 wrote:
I work in law enforcement and every year when we go up to qualify, we are reminded to never use WD-40 on our firearms. .

And what reason do they give you for not using WD-40 ?

As listed further up the thread

A LEO's handgun is usually kept loaded for long periods of time. WD-40 is such a good penetrant, it can actually penetrate the tight joint between the primer and the cartridge case, and deactivate the primer.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... i_55605512

Most shotguns aren't kept loaded like that. Maybe a few HD guns.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

WD-40 is deleterious (bad) for wood of any kind including gunstocks. Anyone who knows anything about wood would never use it on gunstocks, urtehane coated or shellac or tung oil coated gunstocks: WD-40 is a no no.

However, my personal experience in cleaning out shot guns bores is: WD-40 is the best cleaner I have ever used. I experimented with Hoppes and two other "gun cleaning" solvents. I would shoot my shotgun and try ONE of the cleaning agents until I was getting a clean white cloth pass through. Then I sprayed the INSIDE of the shotgun bores with WD-40, ran a Copper brush through the bores, and then tried the white cloth pass through again. Each time I got a lot more fouling removed from my shotgun barrels AFTER the WD-40 cleaning. I was astonished and sold at the same time.

The so called "white glove test" proved to me that WD-40 was a better cleaner of fouling from SHOTGUN barrels then ANY gun slovent, bore cleaner, gun cleaner marketed as a bore or gun cleaner... Believe me, I did NOT want this to be true. I thought the 12 bucks I payed for the "Shotgun Bore Cleaner' would work much better than the 3.69 can of WD-40... But tests on my own bench proved to me wd-40 is a great bore cleaner.... Now, I would never use it as a lubricant or as a rust PREVENTATIVE.

I would use... OLIVE OIL....
hahahhaha... 'had to say it.... :evil:

No, I use and continually try out new, synthetic gun oils. Never TOO much though. I thin layer is always best. That may be one of the bigger problems than the actual product a person uses... some guys think more is better and then leave a pile of oil on a gun and this thick layer collects dust, particles, and moisture from the air and it forms a corrosive gunk.... then they blame the product when it was BAD application: too much of a good thing. :shock: :)

Did you know that OIL tanks corrode from the inside not from "the OIL" but from the water that gets absorbed in the oil and then lays on the surface of the steel tank... Yes, indeed, oil tanks corrode out very quickly if they are not coated... A case of too thick a layer traping water under it... amen.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:50 pm 
Limited Edition

Even more specific list of ingredients in the Aussie MSDS

http://www.wd40.com.au/msds/ChemWatch%2 ... erosol.pdf

Main ingredient White Naphtha

Blecch, never touches my guns. Might use it to lube rusty pliers or a hinge temporarily.

found the info here; http://electronicspoint.com/t13537-p3-s ... eaner.html

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:50 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I have a parts cleaner that I use. I completely take a gun apart & clean it in this parts cleaner, I'll use WD40 to coat each part after I've dried each part. I'll spray the receiver & barrel dripping wet & then wipe down. When putting one back together I'll use Outer's gun oil or Rem Oil where points of lubication is needed. When it comes to grease I'll use Lubiplate. After I have the gun back together I'll wipe all fingerprints off with a rag that has been sprayed with WD40, I'll use this rag anytime I handle a firearm. I even use it to wipe the wood. Now, none of my guns are dripping wet with any type oil. No oil stains in my gun safe or dark spots on any of the wood stocks.

Each one of us has our favorate oils & ways to clean our firearms. Use what you like & form your own opinion.

On a side note, I sprayed a wasp nest with WD40 once & it killed the wasp.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:47 am 
Limited Edition

I didn't read every post but I will throw this in. It is a list of 2,000 uses for WD. Fun to read. www.twbc.org/wd40.htm

deckart

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next