PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:12 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

My WD-40 can 'can' do the the can can! :shock:

Handy for firearms, too. :shock: :shock:

Post subject: re: WD 40
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

It's interesting to see the varied opinions on WD-40. A post on another forum showed the results of a long term salt water atmosphere on metal strips "protected" by a large number of products; WD-40 came in second! If I can find it again, I will post it here. Not good for wood or primers, but for just about anything else!

Post subject: Re: re: WD 40
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dovehunter wrote:
What about using WD-40 on my sports equipment?

Careful, it gave mine a nasty rash. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hey Yogi

" I use and continually try out new, synthetic gun oils. Never TOO much though. I thin layer is always best. That may be one of the bigger problems than the actual product a person uses... some guys think more is better and then leave a pile of oil on a gun and this thick layer collects dust, particles, and moisture from the air and it forms a corrosive gunk.... then they blame the product when it was BAD application: too much of a good thing.

Did you know that OIL tanks corrode from the inside not from "the OIL" but from the water that gets absorbed in the oil and then lays on the surface of the steel tank... Yes, indeed, oil tanks corrode out very quickly if they are not coated... A case of too thick a layer traping water under it."

If you like to try stuff, try this stuff.I have had real good luck with it.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Its heavier than water and unlike a lot of lubes that water can get under this stuff is heavier than water and actually sinks in a glass of water,so water has a very hard time creating rust when you use this stuff. I use it as a lube and as a anti rust protector and feel it is unequaled as a lubricant/rust protector.

Post subject: Re: re: WD 40
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:43 pm 
Crown Grade

carpe dm wrote:
It's interesting to see the varied opinions on WD-40.

I (and others) have drawn the conclusion that the reason for the "varied opinions" is because people are having trouble keeping "context" in scope. Cleaner, water remover, or protectant...

Even in this very thread we see "oil tanks", metal strips in saltwater, yada, yada, yada... A guy who sets out to find the most effective/efficient, and cheapest shotgun bore cleaner doesn't give a hoot about salt tanks, oil strips, or what not.

If you consider the discusions, and opinions in terms of a "shotgun bore <i><b>cleaner</i></b>", you see a trend (as a poster described above with the white glove/white patch test). If you consider the conversation/discussion in terms of "protection", for this, that, and the other, and not limited to long term heavy industrial oil tanks, or light temporary/intermediate protection/moisture barrier, you suddenly get a "varried" discussion, much like the vastly "varried" protection requirements.

I, as most, am in the camp of discovering it as the most effective/efficent shotgun bore cleaner, and intermeadiate lube/moisture barrier between shootings (days to weeks).

As far as WD-40 and "wood" goes, the same situation applies to *any* oil, be it CLP, Silicone spray, RemOil, 10W30, and 3-in-1, so this should drop of the equation, and discussion completly.

MM3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a lot of gun books. A century ago it was fashionable to bad mouth 3 in 1 oil. You can't a find an old gun book that doesn't. Today condemnation of WD 40 is the mark of experience in gun matters.

Truth is, 3 in 1 and WD 40 both work fine for me. I don't use either one very often, because like any good "parent" of a shotgun, I want to baby my shotguns. So I seek out the finest late model wonder synthetic lubes. Break Free CLP. RemOil. My favorite is the new (to me) Ballistol. Ballistol stinks so bad it just has to work and be worth the extra cost. Yes, sir, nothings too good for my shotguns.

But at the range, when a gas auto gives up on being an auto, it's a can of WD 40 that some guy always has in the tool box of his truck. And it works. Nothing is better as a cleaner. It does leave a thin brown film, but the cure is more WD 40 the next time. And the test of rusting was from Brownells. Here's the address:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTec ... &t=1&i=503

WD 40 came in second on a salt water rust test, behind Boespray, which is some wonderful stuff that Boeing Aircraft develped for use on airplanes, and I haven't seen Boespray around here much. But WD 40 is sold at every corner. It's good stuff. But, it's like my Mama always told me:

Son, folks like you to win, unless you win too much. If you win too much they'll start spreading things about you that aren't true. But that's all right, because nobody cares one way or another about a looser. :lol: