ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Range near Dunwoody?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:56 am 
Diamond Grade

Hello: I will be going to Georgia in 2weeks near Dunwoody. I was wondering if there are any ranges open to the public near there? Looking for trap,skeet,5-stand or sporting ranges. My wife will be doing things for 2 days and I would like to shoot. Let me know. Thanks, Eric

Post subject: Re: Range near Dunwoody?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:46 am 
Tournament Grade

Eric:

Go to http://www.ga-sportingclays.org/georgiaclubs.html. It is the Georgia Sporting Clays Association web site's list of clubs.

Good shooting.

Harvey Schwartz

NSCA National Delegate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:00 am 
Limited Edition

Etowah Valley Sporting clays is probably closest to Dunwoody, its up 400 in Dawsonville. Its my home course. Plenty of carts on most weekends. Good controllers that can be set to delay if you shoot by yourself (press both a and b buttons together while unplugged... you can the press A then b right after and it will throw a fairly close report pair. Prices are very reasonable. 3 courses plus 5 stand. Most stations are wooded, very enjoyable, or at least to me it is.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:17 am 
Limited Edition

Oh, Tom Lowes has trap, skeet, and 5 stand. Its fairly close to the airport off Camp Creek parkway. Check Groupon and see if they're running a special, 25 targets, shells, and gun rentalfor like 14.00 or so....They also have rentals at Etowah too.
Have fun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hello: Thanks for the info everyone. I will be taking my own shotgun since we are driving there. I saw Tom Lowes and it looks good and is a public range. I have 2 days I can play Wed and Thurs. I will check Etowah as well. Keep the great info coming. Thanks, Eric

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:50 pm 
Limited Edition

We'll, in that case, here's a little more. Foxhall resort has an amazingly beautiful course, but it's kind of expensive. They have delays on their throwers, but you can't trick them into throwing a report pair like I mentioned at Etowah. Carts are pricey 35 I think and if you're going to walk the course be prepared, it's not meant for fat boys like me. Best to shoot with a group here so you can split the cart. It's out I-20 west in Douglasville

Cherokee Rose is also well kept, cart prices aren't bad, targets are a little more than Etowah, but cheaper than foxhall. It's to the south below Atlanta some amazing targets, they host a fair many NSCA tournaments, so they're always good. Oh, they have only momentary switch type throwers so you'll have to shoot with someone or at least they did the last time I was there, but that was almost 3 years ago. Might call and ask if that is important.

Big Red Oak in Gay Georgia is great too. I shot there back In September and really enjoyed the targets, a little more open that Etowah, Cherokee and Foxhall, but a welcomed change for me. They have momentary switches too, no delay. The lady there cooks a pretty mean grilled cheese burger if your in the mood.

That's the run down of what I've shot. There are a few more further south and further east, but I've never shot there.

You never know, if you wanted to combine the trip, maybe you could drop the misses off at the outlet mall in Dawsonville and in 15-20 minutes you can be at Etowah valley. Shoot 100 and be back before she's out of the Coach purse shot. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Shop not shot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hello: You are evil man suggesting she shop at the Coach store :lol: I appreciate all the info on the clubs there. I guess I will bring my cart so I can walk the sporting course. She is looking at a job there so if things workout we may move there. I may have more questions about places to live and good schools. Thanks, Eric

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:00 pm 
Limited Edition

Haha! Glad to help! I'm a native Georgian, i moved from North Georgia to Marietta to go to college in 1992 and just stayed here. There are the good things and the bad things about living in the metro area, probably no different elsewhere I guess. Let me know if can be of more help. Anytime.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:16 pm 
Limited Edition

So did you make the trip? Where did you decide to go?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hello: Just got back after the bad weather on highway 40. I ended up going to the Tom Lowe range. It was good with some very nice people. I appreciate the info on the range. Traffic in Atlanta is bad on 285. I did not make it to Etawah this time. It seems that skeet is the popular sport then sporting clays. Thanks, Eric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hello: Looks we are moving to Alpheretta. Any good places near there? I am also looking for pistol ranges as well. Thanks, Eric

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:31 am 
Tournament Grade

Here's a very good (and very friendly) local forum to search for info as well.

http://forum.gon.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:18 pm 
Field Grade

Cherokee Gun Club in Gainesville is nice. Has pistol, rifle and shotgun ranges and events. See their web site. All the events listed in the blue header are open to the public and members.

http://www.cherokeegunclub.org/