ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gunsmith in South Florida
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello all,

new here, been reading for some time. I am looking for a reputable gunsmith to cut a stock and install an adjustable but pad in south Florida, Miami-dade or Broward.

Would anyone be able to recommend someone?

by the way the gun is for my 14 year old who just decided to learn shotgunning so we are getting back in after a very long time away from the sport.

Thank you all.

Lu

Post subject: Re: Gunsmith in South Florida
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:49 am 
Limited Edition

There may be some on this coast but I haven't found them to this point, I send my guns to Cole's in Naples. Not the cheapest, but quality is first class. If you don't mind the drive over they will help with the fitting and make sure it is right.

https://colegun.com/naples-showroom/

Thanks for bringing some young blood into our sport, definitely something we need! :)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:54 am 
Crown Grade

From my experience here in Tampa area, quality gunsmithing outside of sending to Coles is practically non-existent. I am not sure why as there are many shooters. If I am wrong, I hope someone provides a good source for services.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:45 am 
Limited Edition

oyeme wrote:
From my experience here in Tampa area, quality gunsmithing outside of sending to Coles is practically non-existent. I am not sure why as there are many shooters. If I am wrong, I hope someone provides a good source for services.

If it makes you feel better, from what I've seen it is even worse over here, at least for you Cole's is straight down I75. :lol: Like you I am surprised since there seems to be a lot of interest in clay shooting in the area. I was hopeful when Elite took over Vero Beach Sporting Clay center, but let down after several encounters. They will certainly sell you a high end gun, but you are on your own if it requires fitting or alteration, amazing. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:09 am 
Crown Grade

Fitting is different than gunsmithing. It is my understanding that there are a few in the general Tampa area. Have you checked at Silver Dollar? I know Ron Fisher finally retired a few years ago, perhaps someone has taken his place?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:25 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you guys.

I knew about Cole's but this is only an entry level gun (CZ), just to make sure she really want to stay with it before shelling out extra $$. Wife didn't let me get her a Beretta. If she stays with it her next gun will be Beretta.

By the way I have been pushing for years for both girls to show interest in shotgunning. Finally got them as they wanted a puppy, ended up with a yellow and a black Lab and that got them interested as the deal was they had to train the pups themselves, which meant they needed to learn shotgunning to take them hunting. They have been shooting pistol IDPA since they were 10.

Her older sister "16" is lucky she is almost same size as her mother and she gets to learn on her mom's 687.

Will keep trying to find someone on the east coast or may end up doing it myself if all else fails.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:41 am 
Crown Grade

Lu 45 wrote:
Thank you guys.

I knew about Cole's but this is only an entry level gun (CZ), just to make sure she really want to stay with it before shelling out extra $$. Wife didn't let me get her a Beretta. If she stays with it her next gun will be Beretta.

By the way I have been pushing for years for both girls to show interest in shotgunning. Finally got them as they wanted a puppy, ended up with a yellow and a black Lab and that got them interested as the deal was they had to train the pups themselves, which meant they needed to learn shotgunning to take them hunting. They have been shooting pistol IDPA since they were 10.

Her older sister "16" is lucky she is almost same size as her mother and she gets to learn on her mom's 687.

Will keep trying to find someone on the east coast or may end up doing it myself if all else fails.

In retrospect, I should have purchased the necessary equipment and learned to do it myself decades ago. I bet I would have been darned good at it by now, and not had the expense or aggravation of having to find someone who is competent. I have tried the so-called competent ones in this area, and have not been impressed.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:51 pm 
Limited Edition

Lu 45 wrote:
Thank you guys.

If you are patient and good with tools agree the DIY option is a worth considering on an inexpensive gun. You can buy the grinding jig and a couple of pads for the cost of one trip to a gunsmith. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Tim Ward with Dupont Krieghoff in Vero Beach, Florida.
I have used Tim several times, and he also installed an Isis recoil system for me and provided me with an excellent job, he is an excellent gunsmith & a very nice guy.
Breakemall
Western North Carolina

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you all for the advise.

Lu