ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Advise 3" or 31/2", Hunting Clubs, Shooting Ranges, etc
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:13 am 
Utility Grade

Hello -
I'm hoping that I can get some advise on hunting in South Carolina that will help me decide on my next shotgun purchase. I'm retiring soon and we'll be moving to So. Carolina in the next year or two, we're looking in the Beaufort, Hardeeville, Okatie area and I plan on continuing to hunt deer, small game, turkey and waterfowl when I get there. What type of waterfowl hunting can I expect i.e. is it mostly open water sea duck and goose hunting or flooded timber or blind hunting on ponds and streams. My reason for asking is because there is a BIG price difference between 3" and 3 1/2" Beretta and Benelli semiauto's. I know I'd like to have a 3 1/2" in for Turkey as opposed to the 3" 870 Rem. I'm using now but after a couple of shoulder surgery (to both shoulders) I think I want (need) a semiauto for a more comfortable hunt.
Also I enjoy almost all shooting sports including archery and bowhunting (I shoot regularly at my local club) and wish to continue that also.
Any recommendations for a local gun shop would be a plus for me.
Any other opinions and information about hunting and shooting in the above mentioned area will be greatly appreciated ...... Joe

Post subject: Re: Need Advise 3" or 31/2", Hunting Clubs, Shooting Ranges,
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:39 am 
Field Grade

Can't advise on the clubs, but as far as the gun goes take a look at the Browning Maxus Stalker? $1499 new with 3 1/2" chamber (vs. $1399 for the 3") and one of the softest kicking semis on the market.

I have the sporting model for clay-bustin' and couldn't be happier with it.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:33 am 
Utility Grade

dev1250
Thanks for the reply - I guess the Browning is another option I hadn't thought of. I'll have to check it out.
Anyone else care to check in with their thoughts and opinions it will be appreciated.

Joe

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:05 pm 
Limited Edition

Welcome to S.C.
I would suggest a 3" chambered gun.
The 31/2" shells were developed to make up for the loss of effectiveness of stainless shot on migratory birds. With the development of Hevi-Shot, Bismuth, etc. I have found 31/2" shells (with the accompanying weight, recoil, & cost) is not needed. JMHO.
Whichever gas gun fits and feels best will work. You also may consider installing a LimbSaver recoil pad.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:11 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the reply Jim,
I tend to agree with you as far as shot shot development and recoil. Again one of my concerns is about knock down for goose, (turkey) and yes i understand shot placement should be paramount, and it is a far as I'm concerned, its just that I always opted for heavy loads ..... even when deer hunting. I also know alot of ovens, deep friers and B -B -Q's have cooked there share of geese and turkey taken with 3" shells and that's what is making this such a difficult decision :?
At this stage in the game, this will probably be the only waterfowl / turkey shotgun I purchase and I just want to do it right the first time. I still have time before the season starts so I'm doing as much research before hand so I can purchase and take it out to sporting clays for practice
Also thanks for the welcome. We're looking forward to making the move in the near future.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:13 pm 
Limited Edition

I can't help much with geese. My only experience with them was hunting Great Canadas in a sugar beet field in Montana two miles from the Big Horn River. All six guns were shooting 3" ammo with no problems, but they did look like C-17s coming in. :)
I was using a Benelli M1 Super 90 if you are interested in Benellis.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Jim,
Sounds like you had a good time. Right now, Benelli, Beretta and Browning are on my short list in no particular order.

Thanks for the help ........... Joe