ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rocky Creek Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:01 pm 
Field Grade

Anyone here shot at Rocky Creek Sporting clays in Chester? I am going Wednesday and I was wondering what course is the best to shoot. They have three courses per their web site. I am taking a beginner with me so I was thinking of the easier one but just wanted to see if you had any thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Rocky Creek Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:12 am 
Presentation Grade

Excellent course. Shoot clubhouse side course to the right. Very accommodating for beginners. More information can be found on the South Carolina Sporting Clays website. www.sc-sportingclays.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:10 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Saludamc, we are going Wednesday? What are the good places to shoot sporting clays in the area? I live in Cherokee county SC. I am thinking about going and checking out Cleghorne soon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:00 am 
Presentation Grade

http://ww2.sc-sportingclays.com/index.php/65-scsca-map is amap of all the South Carolina Courses. I am also partial to The Fork in Norwood, NC. Jim Cogdell is a great host. And Elbert County Gun club in Georgia is very unique course in old rock quarry.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:01 am 
Presentation Grade

Btw Cleghorne is a very good choice and you should definitely go there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:06 pm 
Field Grade

Well I went to shoot Rocky Creek Wednesday, it is a beautiful place. We shot the easier course and it was fun, it was a close slow course (shoot a improved cylinder and cylinder the entire time except for one stand I shoot a skeet). Great course to gain confidence and get back into sporting clays. Do not know that I would shoot that course again, I think that when I go back I will shoot the harder course. I am going to try and take my wife up for the shoot and dine.
For anyone who goes there is no need to rent a golf cart for the easier course, it is pretty short and not a far between stations.

Saludamc, thanks for the advice, I am going to go to Cleghorne in the next few weeks. Also thanks for the map.
I will check out The Fork sometime when time allows

Have you shoot Riverbend lately?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

This is great to hear about this course, it is a good distance from me but have been wanting to try it. I am looking forward to shooting the Backwoods Quail Club very soon, I heard its a beautiful course.

Last edited by shane071489 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:39 am 
Presentation Grade

Unfortunately Riverbend has gone mostly private and corporate type events. Non members pay $65 or $70 per 100 targets last time we went there. They have not been active in Sporting clays association for some time now. Would love to see them get back involved, but they seem to cater mostly to hunts now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:30 pm 
Field Grade

Such a shame about Riverbend, thought about calling and seeing if Ralph was still there. I have some great memories shooting at Riverbend, wish there were more friendly to the public :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Cleghorn is awesome.

Check their website or Facebook page to make sure - but I think they are closed Monday and Tuesday.

Also they start closing up pretty much at 5.

Great people and great targets. 4 traps per stand so you have a "normal" menu to choose from or a "more challenging" one. On the top of a mountain and the scenery is great as are the grounds and paths.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

Btw,. You will not be disappointed with the 2nd course at Rocky Creek. Tournament level targets and can humble the best of them with changing elevations mixed between woods and open fields. Worth going back to when you are not traveling with beginners.