ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How's your chukar hunting been?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:05 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm in Reno Nv. and am just curious how everyone else has been doing chukar hunting? Ive been out about every weekend. A few day hunts as well as a few couple day hunts. You know life isn't fair, when you are younger and have your health and strength, you're so busy working you don't have the time you wish you had to hunt. When you're older you MAY have a litle bit more time but it's much tougher to scale those mtns. after those "wiley boogers". I've been hunting in the Battle Mtn. and Eureka area. Just as it always is there are days when everyting comes together and the birds are holding, the dog is making spectacular points and you are shooting 1/2 way decent. Then those other days come along where you hoof all day, the dog points one covey and they bust 100 yds in front of you and you've hiked 7 to 8 miles w/o firing 1 cap. Ahhh chukar hunting you gotta love it!!! Another question- what's your weapon of choice for those screaming chukar going mach 5 around the mtn. ???

Post subject: Re: How's your chukar hunting been?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:16 am 
Utility Grade

dont know, going Monday!

Beretta

Post subject: Re: How's your chukar hunting been?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Nalgi good luck!!! Where are you going?? This weekend is going to be tough because the temps in Northern Nev. are in the 50s. That means snow is melting and the roads are going to be "snotty". Getting to your hunting destination will be a B_ _ _H! The other problem w/ snow melting, more mtn. sides will be bared (sp?) off and those chukar will have more "room to roam". What Beretta are you using? Early in the yr. I was using my 20ga Beretta White Onyx- "the 2 holer" when birds were not as smart and were a little bit easier to find. Late in the season I've been using my Benelli 20ga M1. Nice to have that 3rd and 4th shot. Nice to have that 3rd and 4th shot when you hoofed all day, only got into 1 or 2 coveys, shot twice, and then straglers get up and you're empty.