ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sporting Clays Classic-Bluegrass Sportsman's League 09/12/09
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:49 am 
Tournament Grade

I want to take the opportunity to share some information regarding the Fifth Annual Sporting Clays Classic, which benefits the Bluegrass Council of the Boy Scouts of America. We are now rapidly approaching the charity shoot; September 12, 2009 at the Bluegrass Sportsman’s League in Wilmore, KY; and the charity auction September 18, 2009 at Champions Trace Golf Club in Lexington, KY.

For those of you not familiar with the event, The Sporting Clays Classic is a charity fund raiser which provides support to the Boy Scouts of America as a major part of their local fund raising. This year, perhaps more than ever, non-profit organizations such as the Boy Scouts are experiencing a real financial need, making your support and participation more vital.

I know that I have told the story of my involvement in this fantastic event to many of you, but just in case I haven’t, here is a little background. Last year I discovered this event as a substitute shooter for a participant who was unable to attend due to a last minute emergency, and was amazed by both the quality and purpose of this shoot. I showed up last year with my worn out old hunting gun, a bag full of shells, and no idea what to expect – and had an absolutely great time and met a fantastic bunch of people.

The event takes place at the Bluegrass Sportsman’s League in Wilmore, KY and is an incredibly fun day. The primary focus of this day is to support a good cause while having a load of fun (and being safe). There will be a wide variety of shooters in attendance, so don’t worry if you are not an experienced sporting clays shooter – this is a friendly bunch with a wide spectrum of experience and there will be plenty of others who can help you get acclimated. There will also be plenty of staff, volunteers, and scouts on hand to take care of the details and keep everything safe, so that all you will have to worry about is having fun.

If you are an old pro in our area, I bet you already know all about this event. If you are new to shooting clay birds, or if it has just been awhile, and you would like to get out before the event and shoot a practice round to get a feel for how things work, please just let me know. I will be glad to go out with you sometime before the event and shoot at some clay birds with you. I’m not skilled/knowledgeable enough to give you true shooting instruction, but we can go out and make a lot of noise trying to break some targets.

There will be teams who will be comprised of serious shooters who break tens of thousands of targets each year in registered competitions around the country, with dedicated sporting clays golf carts, and custom shotguns that cost as much as a new BMW. BUT don’t worry about them, this day is about fun and isn’t set up to be a serious competition where the experts take home the money for shooting a nearly perfect score. This is a charity event where the ultimate goal is to support a good cause. That said, the majority of us will be out there to have fun turning perfectly good money into smoke and noise while trying to break a few flying orange ash trays into dust – and not worry about what the score card says.

If you would like to organize your own 4 person squad you are more then welcome to do so, or if you would like to join in as a single or with a friend or two, please let me know and I will work to pair you up with others who I think you’ll have a great time getting to know.

I look forward to hearing from you. Please let me know if you have any questions, I will be glad to try to answer them.

Post subject: Re: Momma
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:16 am 
Tournament Grade

Yeah...I don' t know what the above post from "bachelor" is...but the Sporting Clays Classic planning is in full swing, it's going to be a heck of an event - hope some of you can find a way to make it.