ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kentuckians?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:03 pm 
Limited Edition

This looks like a really slow part of the forum...Is it because there aren't many Kentuckians here or is it that they just don't use this part?
I have lived in my KY since I was 6 or 7 (really can't remember) and always loved shooting sports. Currently I reside in Bowling Green and am having a hard time finding any local places to shoot. Any suggestions? Primarily I'm interested in shotgun sports like trap, skeet, sporting clays and 5 stand....

Post subject: Re: Kentuckians?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are a few of us around Heres some info for you:

http://roseactionsports.com/ranges.aspx

Travel over to Wagoner Mill (on a Saturday), Fort Campbell or Nashville (TN Clay Target Complex) most any day and you'll find shotgunners.

The Rockcastle Shooting Center in Park City is just getting some clay target sports going http://www.rockcastleshootingcenter.com/

The Green River Gun Club has quite a variety of shooting sports going on, but not so much for the shotgunner.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:14 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks for posting the links for me. Mainly the Rock Castle shooting center. I live in Bg now and having some time finding places close to shoot shotgun sports. I asked a guy at Gander Mtn. and he seemed to think the Rock Castle place was hours away and I just dismissed it, if I was going to travel hours I would go back to shooting at BGSL (love that place!).
FT.Campbell and Nashville are a bit of a haul for me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:25 pm 
Limited Edition

Well, it might be slow cause it's not exactly a "clay mecca" around here. Seems to be more small bluegrass clubs than national level facilities. And lets face it, if you wanted year round shooting you'd have to like getting cold and wet. Not like shooting down in Georigia or Florida. There seems to be some great places to shoot, and I've looked up quite a few that were hours west of here (Bardstown) so probably closer to you. Try the NSSA/NSCA websites for their club listings. That's how i was able to locate Jefferson Gun Club, just 40 minutes from home. If you ever want to venture up here, drop me a line. More than welcome out to JGC anyday.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

You should try claytargetsonline.com it has a website where you can search by state.

Post subject: Re: This substance that two out of digit nowadays
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

wow3golr42 wrote:
This substance that two out of digit wow gold nowadays, you'll be encountering a sanative priest. In the ongoing surround, follower relic a nonclassical PvP histrion but it is far easier to comprehend success in Arenas and Battlegrounds wow gold with a healthful spec.

Just yesterday the boys at the range were discussing success in Arenas. Our questions was:

What's the best load for a spammer at 25 yards? 1oz of #7.5 or 1 1/8 oz of #8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:06 am 
Limited Edition

1 oz of #8's. On everything....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I live just to the north of you in Park City right beside of Rockcastle. It isn't hours away, more like 20 mins. However, I get the impression that they are a little too big for us local guys. There is a new place that just opened up here between Park City and Cave City that some of the guys at church went to last week. It has rifle and pistol ranges as well as trap. I haven't been yet, but am planning too especially since the trap is just $4.00 for 25 and $16.00 for 100.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:06 am 
Limited Edition

I shot Rockcastle a few weeks ago. Definitely impressed with the Promatics, something like $80k worth of equipment. The targets were fun, but challenging, a couple (battues) that really gave us some fits. Doesn't seem like they do much business. From the sound of the kid working there, not much goes on unless it's a tournament. The first 6 stations out in the open didn't do much for me. It'd be great once there's some mature vegetation around them. The part in the woods was great. It's compact, but so many variations in terrain and targets, you don't get worn out walking it. All in all, a nice place. Give it a little time and it will be great.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:10 am 
Utility Grade

Hooray for Louisville!

I shoot at Indian Creek for Sporting Clays, and then whatever field and open area I can find to break clays recreationally.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:03 pm 
Field Grade

I'm from Northern Kentucky but I stay in the basement, i like it there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:58 pm 
Limited Edition

Been a while since I've been on here, but thought I would provide an update.
Made it out to rock castle back over the summer and I must say it has potential to be a really nice place. However, they must be making clays with gold in them or something. Too much money for this broke college kid.
I have been doing most of my shooting at Barren River Rod and Gun. Price per round is darn good and the people are nice. Not exactly a clay shooters paradise down there, but they have two trap houses which is all they really need for the amount of people they have. It's about a 45 min drive for me which sucks, but I don't have many options.

Colonel would you mind getting me an address or phone number to the place between cave city/park city? It may turn out to be closer for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:00 pm 
Limited Edition

I can definitely agree with Rockcastle having great potential. Their prices aren't any worse than a 15 stations sporting clays course I've ever seen. Of course there are huge advantages for membership, which as I recall IS pricey for what is offered behind it. No reloading supplies that were visible, and with only a 5 stand and sporting course, not much in the way of diversity. That said, given a few years, it has the option of becoming world class. Here's hopin'.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Right here dudes!!!!

Louisville, and Dove and Duck loads all the way!!!!

who, coincidently, can hit what I am aiming at.

"Fear God, Love your Neighbor, KILL Ducks."
Phil Robertson,The Duck Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:07 am 
Utility Grade

Has anyone shot at cedar ridges range off Herbert Turner rd in cave city? I have taken pistol classes there but have not shot trap there.

KY CCDW Instructor
NRA Refuse to Be a Victim Instructor

[email protected]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:20 pm 
Limited Edition

I shoot trap there about once a week. Not a bad place to shoot but it is $5 for non-members.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:19 pm 
Utility Grade

new guy on here from South of Lexington.. Spent all my life in this neck of the woods

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:05 am 
Field Grade

We have some decent opportunities in KY for clay target shooting. But I think anyone who gets involved in ANY shooting sport and is interested in competing at any level beyond a casual interest has to make peace with the fact that you are going to have to travel to shoots.

This is true regardless of where you live and what you like to shoot. Rifle, pistol, shotgun, bow and arrow... doesn't matter. Bottom line is if you want to compete you have to get in the car and drive. Unless you are satisfied with just shooting your local club's registered shoot there is no ay around this. Even in a place like San Antonio which has three superb very active clay target shooting facilities in the city limits there is no way you can compete without going to Dallas, Austin, or Houston every now and then. Besides...shooting the same place all the time gets boring and you miss the challenge of variety you get from different clubs with different sets by different course designers.

I lived in El Paso TX for 7 years and shot Registered Skeet for most of those 7 years. We had two clay target clubs in El Paso and the next nearest club was in Albequerque NM over 250 miles away! But I routinely went to shoots in Pheonix, Tuscon, Albequerque and San Antonio TX. Most of those places were 500+ miles. Its just part of the deal.

In KY we have the

Jefferson Gun Club just south of Louisville
Franklin Sportsman's Club in Franfort.
Anderson Sportsman's Club near Lawrenceburg
Rockcastle Shooting Facility near Horse Cave
Elk Creek near Owenton
Fort Knox civilian range
Fort Campbell civilian range
and others smaller local clubs like the one in Irvington or the Steel Technologies Range near Eminence.

Close by you have Indian Creek in southern Indiana
Nashville Gun Club (about 60 miles from Bowling Green)

Assuming you live in Lexington those facilities are all within 3 hours driving distance and most are within 2 hours. That's pretty good!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:04 am 
Limited Edition

Good info. Thanks KY Jeff.