ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ear muff question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:13 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will check out the muffs mentioned above. Also will be contacting our local audiologist regarding custom plugs versus properly inserted NRR 33 foam plugs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:48 am 
Tournament Grade

The reason many don't insert the foam plugs properly is because, inserted properly, you can't hear sh$t with them in! Most guys (esp older dudes) don't like this because shooting is also a social event. So they only put them halfway in, lose more hearing and need to leave them out even more as time goes on.

I have tried numerous muffs and just can't get one to not interfere with my mount. Occasionally I'll get my ear pinched between the muff and stock and it smarts which doesn't help my gun mount so i quit and just use plugs. If you say something besides "pull" you better speak up or just don't talk to me LoL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:24 pm 
Crown Grade

DooFighter wrote:
The reason many don't insert the foam plugs properly is because, inserted properly, you can't hear sh$t with them in! Most guys (esp older dudes) don't like this because shooting is also a social event. So they only put them halfway in, lose more hearing and need to leave them out even more as time goes on.

I have tried numerous muffs and just can't get one to not interfere with my mount. Occasionally I'll get my ear pinched between the muff and stock and it smarts which doesn't help my gun mount so i quit and just use plugs. If you say something besides "pull" you better speak up or just don't talk to me LoL

I'm telling you, get a model for use over the plugs which can either be worn with only one side attached like Pro Ears Golds or with the gun side folded up on top of your head like the low profile Howard Leight Sport Bolts. One is better than none.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:38 pm 
Crown Grade

streamrocks wrote:
Thanks for all your suggestions. I will check out the muffs mentioned above. Also will be contacting our local audiologist regarding custom plugs versus properly inserted NRR 33 foam plugs.

For many years I wore the Howard Leight foam 33 NRR plugs. Since then I've had may pairs of custom fitted plugs. The 33 NRR foam plugs offer much better hearing protection, but the custom one's are far more comfortable to wear for extended shooting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:18 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Pro Ears Predator Gold

Made in USA

Warranty great

If you have a parallel comb you cannot is muffs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:32 am 
Tournament Grade

I ended up going with a set of custom plugs from Insta-Mold. The solid version is rated at 30 NRR. I was able to experiment with several variations of hearing protection at a public range.

First the custom plugs. They were comfortable, no hassle to get in properly and did a good job of muffling a shotgun blast.

Next tried the Howard Leight Sport Impact muffs (22 NRR) over the custom plugs. The addition of those muffs had a small impact on sound reduction.

Next tried my yard work 26 NRR muffs over the plugs. The shotgun blast sound was definitely reduced.

Lastly tried foam plugs rated 33 NRR. It took a couple tries to get them inserted properly, but they were in. Shotgun blast was louder than with the custom plugs alone.

I am not sure the molded plugs alone provide a safe level of protection though. In combination with the 26 NRR muffs, sounds was totally muffled. However those were passive muffs, making it impossible to hear someone speak. I may give the Pro Ears muffs a try, hoping they do not interfere with the comb.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:53 pm 
Crown Grade

streamrocks wrote:
I ended up going with a set of custom plugs from Insta-Mold. The solid version is rated at 30 NRR. I was able to experiment with several variations of hearing protection at a public range.

First the custom plugs. They were comfortable, no hassle to get in properly and did a good job of muffling a shotgun blast.

Next tried the Howard Leight Sport Impact muffs (22 NRR) over the custom plugs. The addition of those muffs had a small impact on sound reduction.

Next tried my yard work 26 NRR muffs over the plugs. The shotgun blast sound was definitely reduced.

Lastly tried foam plugs rated 33 NRR. It took a couple tries to get them inserted properly, but they were in. Shotgun blast was louder than with the custom plugs alone.

I am not sure the molded plugs alone provide a safe level of protection though. In combination with the 26 NRR muffs, sounds was totally muffled. However those were passive muffs, making it impossible to hear someone speak. I may give the Pro Ears muffs a try, hoping they do not interfere with the comb.

If the foam plugs rated 33 NRR were not better than the custom plugs, you simply did not install them properly. They must be rolled down to a very thin, long cone and inserted very deeply into the ear by pulling down the ear lobe to realign the ear canal to accept the plug properly. Nothing else on the market works as well as that. With foam plugs properly inserted you can use only one side of the muffs for hearing speech and still be very well protected.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

I watched several YouTube videos on using foam plugs. It was the same technique I've used for years. Carefully roll the plug and insert to your brain. Keep a finger over the end until it expands to fill the ear. I know the plug is not inserted properly when the end is not flush in my ear.

The custom plug extends further into the ear canal than I expected, but not quite as far as a foam plug. I don't know. Guess foam plugs never fit me properly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:23 pm 
Crown Grade

streamrocks wrote:
I watched several YouTube videos on using foam plugs. It was the same technique I've used for years. Carefully roll the plug and insert to your brain. Keep a finger over the end until it expands to fill the ear. I know the plug is not inserted properly when the end is not flush in my ear.

The custom plug extends further into the ear canal than I expected, but not quite as far as a foam plug. I don't know. Guess foam plugs never fit me properly.

Can't say what the problem is. But not fitting can't be it. By their very nature, how small you roll them, and how flexible they are to be able to bend as necessary and expand to fully occupy the available space, they fit everyone. That is why they are used in industrial settings. No worries about some folks not being protected. Now they might be less comfortable than desired, but that is another story.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:03 pm 
Crown Grade

3M™ PELTOR™ Tactical Earplug TEP-100 with Skull Screw tips.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:44 pm 
Utility Grade

I’ve owned a pair of MSA Sordin hearing protectors for the last 4 or 5 years and have been completely pleased with them. They have gel cups available so you can wear them comfortably for hours and I can have a conversation without taking them off. I wear ear plugs at work and they usually give me ear infections/ trauma after awhile. Also the msa muffs clear my stock on all of my long guns however one thing I’ve learned is everyone’s ears set a different distance from their chin/top of head than the next persons. I bought the type that fit behind the head so I could wear a boonie hat but because of my ears being so high on my head I still cannot. TMI I’m sure but ear plugs would be nice but won’t work for me.