ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Protection Against Theives
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:59 pm 
Utility Grade

I am interested in purchasing a gun from the classifieds here but I am nervous about it a little. How do I protect myself against being taken for my money? What legal recourse do I have if the gun isn't shipped? Also, I have never bought a firearm that needed to be shipped. Do I need to contact a local FFL and get the ok and info from them? Excuse my ignorance I am just nervous.

Post subject: Re: Protection Against Theives
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

PLUMBWADER wrote:
I am interested in purchasing a gun from the classifieds here but I am nervous about it a little. How do I protect myself against being taken for my money? What legal recourse do I have if the gun isn't shipped? Also, I have never bought a firearm that needed to be shipped. Do I need to contact a local FFL and get the ok and info from them? Excuse my ignorance I am just nervous.

I buy high end watches. My motto is buy the seller, not the watch. I would counsel the same advice when buying a shotgun. Otherwise, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:00 pm 
Utility Grade

jerrys wrote:
PLUMBWADER wrote:

I buy high end watches. My motto is buy the seller, not the watch. I would counsel the same advice when buying a shotgun. Otherwise, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

So Caveat emptor? I was hoping for more but, alas, I think I will just keep shopping. It appears the guy just came on here to sell the gun. He may prove to be reputable but I'm just not going to take a chance. Thanks for the response.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:24 pm 
Crown Grade

You could always call and talk to him over the phone and go with your gut instinct. I have bought and sold guns here and elsewhere on the internet without any issues. have him send you detailed specs, ask questions. I got a decent deal on a DT-11, somewhat high-end in my book; no issues. The gun WILL need to be sent to your FFL and you will need to go through the process applicable in your state

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Ask the seller for references, check those out, along with how active they’ve been here generally speaking. Yes, you must provide the seller with a copy, or have your dealer do it of an FFL.

Bottom line, if you don’t feel good about it, don’t do it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

How do you protect yourself buying from this site? You probably can't, because you are new. If you been around for a while then you can tell yourself you sort of know this person, and more than likely it will be okay, but in fact you never know who is going to burn you. Bottom line, you always take a chance on something like this. I have bought many guns from auction sites, and because they have years in business and show feedback for everyone, the incidence of scams or thieves is quite low, but even then, I guess it is not zero. The last guns I have bought on line, I only did because they were in or near my home town. That way I know location of seller, and I pick it up at their address, and pay at that point. I think the last 4 or 5 guns I bought were this way. It saves shipping cost, and also saves paying a local FFL. Maybe you can use some of those ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:28 pm 
Field Grade

I'm no expert at all on fraud prevention.

I found a gun on armslist, the model I wanted and it was lower than all the others, so low, I could fly down and back and still be money ahead.

Once I asked to arrange to see it in person, suddenly the seller stopped communication.

Airfare is cheap to some city pairs right now.

Sent using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Rockett0 wrote:

I found a gun on armslist, the model I wanted and it was lower than all the others, so low, I could fly down and back and still be money ahead.

Once I asked to arrange to see it in person, suddenly the seller stopped communication.

:shock: Talk about red flags !

Welcome to SGW, PLUMBWADER ! !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

If the guy JUST started on this site, in an apparent effort to simply sell his gun....I'd steer away.

Of course, if he used a short-name that was unique, you can always do a Google search under that name. He may have been on other sites and the feedback could be very valuable. He may have been banned from a number of sites and that would also be valuable information. There is no way to tell that your guy is that prior guy, though.

I, like you, would be very reticent to send serious money to a stranger with no way to verify who they are and what their background is on the site in question.

If you researched any of the responders to your question, you'd probably find a ton of information, including all of their prior posts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

I would not buy anything on a site like this unless the seller had at least 100 posts.then I’d look at those posts and see if they seem legitimate. And ask for pics. If in doubt, walk away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:30 am 
Utility Grade

df wrote:
I would not buy anything on a site like this unless the seller had at least 100 posts.then I’d look at those posts and see if they seem legitimate. And ask for pics. If in doubt, walk away.

At this point I feel like it would be better to spend a couple extra hundred bucks and just buy local or from an auction site. I'm sure the guy is solid but it just makes me nervous. Thanks for all of the replies.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:00 am 
Tournament Grade

Armslist, Craigslist and Auctionarms have sketchy reputations. Gunbroker and Guns International have a much better reputation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:13 am 
Crown Grade

It will cost you a bit more money, but you could do the transfer through FFL licensed dealers on both ends where your FFL will verify the gun is in the possession of the seller's FFL before money is sent. The seller would verify that the funds are in his possession before the gun is shipped. I've done this sort of thing on a gun swap deal for a customer and each side verified the reported condition of the guns and their acceptance before either FFL did the 4473 transfer. Pain in the butt, but it did work to everyone's satisfaction.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Or you use a third party to facilitate the trade.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Riflemeister wrote:
It will cost you a bit more money, but you could do the transfer through FFL licensed dealers on both ends where your FFL will verify the gun is in the possession of the seller's FFL before money is sent. The seller would verify that the funds are in his possession before the gun is shipped. I've done this sort of thing on a gun swap deal for a customer and each side verified the reported condition of the guns and their acceptance before either FFL did the 4473 transfer. Pain in the butt, but it did work to everyone's satisfaction.

Now that is an excellent strategy. Seller should know an FFL near them that they could use on their end.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:57 am 
Utility Grade

I ended up buying a new Baretta SP1 Sporting off of Gunbroker. I feel much better about going this route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

If it’s being shipped from the west coast pay extra for overnight or 2nd day. I purchased a gun over 10 days ago that is in limbo in a regional distribution center in Los Angeles. I have no idea when it will arrive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

dcr5468 wrote:
If it’s being shipped from the west coast pay extra for overnight or 2nd day. I purchased a gun over 10 days ago that is in limbo in a regional distribution center in Los Angeles. I have no idea when it will arrive.

I had a pistol get lost in the post office for weeks. Finally got it.