ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Patterning and POI
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hunh. Who knew this was a thing?

Since I've never patterned my shotguns or could adjust the point of impact (hey. It's a shotgun) and you guys keep talking about it and how important it is I took all three guns to the club and checked them out.

Installed full chokes in the guns, cleaned up the grease plate, stepped back thirty yards and let 'er rip.

Load: 1 ounce of #8 magnum shot at 1225fps, CB1110-12 wads in STS hulls.

ATI Cavalry 26" 12 gauge = 50/50
Franchi Affinity 3 26" 12 gauge = 50/50
Citori CX with 1/4" rise on comb = 75/25 (!)
Pulled three of the 1/16" shims leaving one in = 60/40. :)

Quite an education in finding out where my guns actually shoot. Checked different chokes to see what they all did and kept some notes on the whole affair.

tp

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

Last edited by T-Pee on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Patterning
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What percentage of shot was in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards, full choke should have 70% in that circle.

cdb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Sounds like POI testing rather than patterning?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

cdb1097 wrote:
What percentage of shot was in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards, full choke should have 70% in that circle.

It was a 40" plate and pretty much all of it was there at 30yds.
Rooster Booster wrote:
Sounds like POI testing rather than patterning?

Yes but I was also checking out the patterning while I was at it. Seemed pretty even and fairly round. Am I looking for something else besides holes?

Edited the thread title to reflect the day better.

tp

Post subject: Re: Patterning and POI
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Patterning should be done with the chokes you expect to use, at the distance you expect to be shooting, withe exact loads you plan to use for those variables, plus the quarry you’re after.

Patterns aren’t repeatable, like rifle shooting....so yes, hoping for even coverage for the load, choke, distance you’re working with. POI is MUCH more important to me, as the patterns can be messed with a fair amount. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:01 am 
Crown Grade

T-Pee wrote:

Since I've never patterned my shotguns or could adjust the point of impact (hey. It's a shotgun) and you guys keep talking about it and how important it is I took all three guns to the club and checked them out.

Installed full chokes in the guns, cleaned up the grease plate, stepped back thirty yards and let 'er rip.

Quite an education in finding out where my guns actually shoot. Checked different chokes to see what they all did and kept some notes on the whole affair.

tp
All of which just goes to show why POI testing is complete waste of time and shells. As long as the guns shoot where you point them - and I've noticed that most do - not much else matters, apart from pattern testing which can be useful.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:06 am 
Tournament Grade

Trickster wrote:
T-Pee wrote:

tp
All of which just goes to show why POI testing is complete waste of time and shells. As long as the guns shoot where you point them - and I've noticed that most do - not much else matters, apart from pattern testing which can be useful.

True, but the Citori did not shoot where I wanted it to. Quite high as a matter of fact. Resolved after a quick session at the grease plate.

tp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:16 am 
Diamond Grade

I put a good bore scope into a new-to-me shotgun. In three minutes it will tell you a lot about the relationship between where your head is at, how you hold the gun and the geometry of the gun.

It’s no substitute for pattering and POI testing but it does reveal differences in guns and how you mount them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:14 am 
Tournament Grade

POI is MUCH more important to me, as the patterns can be messed with a fair amount. Good luck![/quote]

100% correct

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:54 pm 
Utility Grade

hunterdcb wrote:
POI is MUCH more important to me, as the patterns can be messed with a fair amount. Good luck!

100% correct[/quote]

I agree! You need to know that it's good or if need be, correct the point of aim before you can pattern IMHO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Also you need to remember that shells play a part of the POA/POI and pattern equation as well.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
Patterning should be done with the chokes you expect to use, at the distance you expect to be shooting, withe exact loads you plan to use for those variables, plus the quarry you’re after.

Patterns aren’t repeatable, like rifle shooting....so yes, hoping for even coverage for the load, choke, distance you’re working with. POI is MUCH more important to me, as the patterns can be messed with a fair amount. Good luck!

Seein's how I'm shooting SC, that would amount to any distance between 10 and 50 yards seems like. I do have a "pet" one ounce load that is working well regardless.

One of our range members who works with metal a lot asked if there was anything the range needed so he's making me the pieces for our own grease plate. All I'll have to do is weld them together and we're off to the races. Since I'm there four days a week, I'll have plenty of opportunity to fully explore all of my chokes at all distances at my leisure and get paid for it. Life is good! 8)

tp