ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Savage Arms RENEGAUGE
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:18 pm 
Crown Grade

The problem with most ‘expert’ opinions is, they are usually more in line with ‘personal’ opinions when things subjective like gun weight and balance are involved.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Actually it was quite evident from the video Randy did that the Renegauge is anything but well balanced. I just think the AR crew was not as "unbiased" in their review and my intent was to tweak Randy. Unfortunately, he didn't bite! :oops:

Until a prospective buyer handles one and decides for himself on relative value of this new shotgun, it is a moot point. We shall see if it sells or not.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:20 pm 
Crown Grade

oyeme wrote:
Actually it was quite evident from the video Randy did that the Renegauge is anything but well balanced. I just think the AR crew was not as "unbiased" in their review and my intent was to tweak Randy. Unfortunately, he didn't bite! :oops:

Until a prospective buyer handles one and decides for himself on relative value of this new shotgun, it is a moot point. We shall see if it sells or not.

That’s the fun things about opinions.......one gun feels heavy to this guy, light to another. Just opinions and ********:-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:01 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Rooster booster wrote:
The problem with most ‘expert’ opinions is, they are usually more in line with ‘personal’ opinions when things subjective like gun weight and balance are involved.

There is nothing subjective at all about weight. It is what it is and is easily measured. Balance is not subjective either, for the balance point of a firearm is where it is.

While it functions well enough, this 24 inch Renegauge barrel alone weighs 3 lbs., 6.6 oz. To give you an idea of just how ridiculously heavy this barrel is, I weighed a 30 inch Browning B-80 12 gauge barrel: it comes in at 2 lbs., 5 oz. This is no typo: a 30 inch B-80 (or 303) barrel weighs over a solid pound less than a 24 inch Renegauge barrel.

My interest piqued about barrel weights, I grabbed a camo 26 inch Remington V3 barrel with a Trulock Precision Hunter extended choke and weighed it. The longer 26 inch V3 barrel came in at 2 lbs., 12 ounces: close to 3/4 pound lighter than the Savage Renegauge. The V3's pistons work directly on the bolt, so there are no dual action bars or any action bars at all on a Remington V3. There is little mystery here: the Remington V3 is a 7-1/4 lb. gun and well-balanced with a 26 inch barrel. The 26 inch barrel of my Fabarm L4S Grey Hunter with an extended choke installed weighs 1 lb., 15 ounces. That is a stunning 1-1/2 pounds less than the 24 inch Renegauge barrel. The 8 pound Savage Renegauge gets all of its excessive weight and ridiculous muzzle heaviness from the bloody barrel.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:39 am 
Diamond Grade

Not that further perspective is necessary but simply to add anecdotal measure, a double gun’s barrels should weigh close to three pounds. That’s two barrels together weighing less than a two foot long Renegauge barrel.
Makes me wonder how thick the wall, and the weight was, of that Savage barrel before it was “lightened” with the fluting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:36 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The barrel fluting is trivia-- more ornamental than functional. A big culprit is the massive, overly complicated, excessively wide, heavy steel gas block that is welded to the middle of the barrel.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If Al Casper made several unsuccessful attempts to kill the project, then it begs the question: Who is running the company?

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:48 am 
Limited Edition

In the article there was a side piece on Savage history and Models.
Not a mention of the Models 21 or 28.

Oh well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:08 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Rooster booster wrote:

There is nothing subjective at all about weight. It is what it is and is easily measured. Balance is not subjective either, for the balance point of a firearm is where it is.

While it functions well enough, this 24 inch Renegauge barrel alone weighs 3 lbs., 6.6 oz. To give you an idea of just how ridiculously heavy this barrel is, I weighed a 30 inch Browning B-80 12 gauge barrel: it comes in at 2 lbs., 5 oz. This is no typo: a 30 inch B-80 (or 303) barrel weighs over a solid pound less than a 24 inch Renegauge barrel.

My interest piqued about barrel weights, I grabbed a camo 26 inch Remington V3 barrel with a Trulock Precision Hunter extended choke and weighed it. The longer 26 inch V3 barrel came in at 2 lbs., 12 ounces: close to 3/4 pound lighter than the Savage Renegauge. The V3's pistons work directly on the bolt, so there are no dual action bars or any action bars at all on a Remington V3. There is little mystery here: the Remington V3 is a 7-1/4 lb. gun and well-balanced with a 26 inch barrel. The 26 inch barrel of my Fabarm L4S Grey Hunter with an extended choke installed weighs 1 lb., 15 ounces. That is a stunning 1-1/2 pounds less than the 24 inch Renegauge barrel. The 8 pound Savage Renegauge gets all of its excessive weight and ridiculous muzzle heaviness from the bloody barrel.

‘Weight and balance’ and, together, combined, part of the subject at hand........try and keep up. Shouldn’t be too difficult for a pro like yourself.

And don’t be sad about being wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:12 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Al Kasper successfully killed the project several times. Al is a sharp guy, if you're interested in the Savage story: https://gunsmagazine.com/podcast/18-al- ... vage-arms/ . You can hear about the Renegauge from his own lips on the podcast.

Not everyone hits a home run every time at bat. R & D for a new vehicle power train can run over $1.5 Billion-- shotgun R & D isn't at that level. It isn't that Beretta, Remington, and Browning and others haven't stuffed it up more than a few times. This is Savage's first foray into their own shotgun, but not necessarily their last.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:24 am 
Diamond Grade

It’s got to be tough to produce a new shotgun (or any gun) that offers something that isn’t already available.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:37 am 
Utility Grade

This has been a very interesting read for me this morning, enough so that I completely blocked out a 2 hour international conference call to read it, and actually registered on this site. My user name is pretty accurate, so my hunting partners are just floored that I haven't bought a Renegauge yet. When I went to pull the trigger (not literally) on one, I instead opted for yet another inertia gun, the Marsai mara because my stevens 1200, girsan 312, stoeger, franchi and benellis all have given me minor issues. All decent guns though (next inertia will be the Dickinson I think). Then I went online and was 'this' close to buying one again...but stumbled across the RIA gas gun at my Dunhams and it reminded me so much of my beloved Baikal 153, that I had to get that one. The RIA has been amazing on 2 3/4" loads of all weights, but still struggles with 3" stove pipes, especially in the cold. They've got great customer service, and tell me the gun isn't broken in yet, so jury's still out on the Rock Island. The second time around the shopping cart for me with the Renegauge, it was the lack of any 'I've shot 20 flats without a hiccup'-reviews that scared me off. Every gun has a few of these. Still not sure here, and I hate to type it out loud...but I wish this gun was built in Turkey. For ~$800 I definitely would have owned one by now. Maybe without much success pricing will creep down a bit? Honestly the weight doesn't bother me a ton...I really crunch ducks and geese with my hideously balanced triple barrel actually. To sell a lot of guns with so much going against it (first auto launch, front heavy, $$$...) it seems that this thing better cycle in the 99.98% range in the field. Gotta be some other guinea pigs out there...somewhere?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:19 am 
Field Grade

EricB wrote:
It’s got to be tough to produce a new shotgun (or any gun) that offers something that isn’t already available.

I agree my Mossberg 930 does everything the savage does and for cheaper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:24 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Cccollin545 wrote:
EricB wrote:

I agree my Mossberg 930 does everything the savage does and for cheaper

Except it doesn't. The Renegauge offers more adjust-ability and runs far longer between cleanings than the 930, and is far more resistant to corrosion. Savage is a fine company, this was their first attempt, but necessarily their last.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just read the article in American Rifleman on the Reneguage. My impression is that they were trying to be polite and not overly critical. There seemed to be an emphasis on waterfowl hunting while avoiding the upland application. It’s about what I expected.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:00 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

oyeme wrote:
Just read the American Rifleman's review

What you read is an expansion of an old article from January 3, also by John Zent, the same day I started this thread, using some of the same images, and referencing pre-production hunts from 2019. https://www.americanhunter.org/articles ... -for-2020/ .

After all this time, does anyone here own one?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:58 am 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
oyeme wrote:
After all this time, does anyone here own one?

I really want to Randy, but just can't do it. The balance isn't even the big issue for me, it is the shine in the bolt, the plug being too long and other minor stuff.

If I can find one on sale, I might give it a try but at $1200 or so dollars, I just can't.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have an L4S sporting. I don’t think that I need one

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:43 am 
Utility Grade

Ok need to eat some center-patterned crow here. Went to my local gun shop to peruse the auto selection amidst the chaos of what looked like 25 people trying to by a handgun for the first time...and low and behold they just got a Renegauge in! After 20 min of staring and waiting, I finally got my hands on one. The only issue was that I could have used a 3rd hand to help hold up the barrel...oh my, always listen to Randy. I think the balance point is 2" in front of my triple barrel! I chatted with a knowledgeable autoloader guy at the shop and after I said "this thing better cycle flawlessly with the price and balance points". He said that it has done exactly that for the ONE guy who has bought one, took it to nodak, shot loads of trap, early goose, etc. But my goodness man...now I think that it will have to be in the $600-700 range before I take the dive. Unless I hear 50+ flawless-cycling reviews like this fella mentioned. I'm just shocked...this sucker out possums-on-a-shovel my 3 barrel!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:12 am 
Diamond Grade

“...oh my, always listen to Randy.”

A bit of a stretch there, don’t you think? Is that called “poetic license”?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next