ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bore brush
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:37 pm 
Utility Grade

is it OK to use a wire brush every time you clean the bore? Or is it best avoided unless there is heavy fowling? I know it can wear down the rifling in a rifled barrel, but does it cause problems in a smooth bore?

Post subject: Re: bore brush
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

If using a brass bore brush, it won't harm a thing. I do it every time I clean my shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

i use one every time I clean. Its the best way to ensure lead and plactic buildup gets taken out. The wire is softer than the steel. The only thing that wears is the brush.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:17 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks! Mines brass.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've had excellent service from Outer's "Tornado Brush". It's made from sprirals of steel wires, probably stainless, and it eats wad fouling and powder residue faster than a wimpy brass brush. Lasts forever. Won't scratch the bore. You can wind steel wool around one to clean chambers with an electric drill.

My routine for all shotguns is twenty strokes with a rod and tornado brush using WD 40 as a solvent,,,then a couple of passes with a bore snake with a dab of Break Free CLP sprayed on,,or just a wad of paper rammed through if a bore snake's not handy.

The barrels of my guns shine like mirrors. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:27 am 
Presentation Grade

+1 on the Tornado brush.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No disrespect meant to SuperXOne or Stroker, and probably my ignorance of the tornado brush, but I am cautious about using a SS brush on a shotgun bore, especially on a regular basis. I am only comfortable using a brass brush as the softer metal is much less likely to harm the bore.

Again, probably my own ignorance on the topic, just what I am comfortable with.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:05 am 
Presentation Grade

I was skeptical too when I first started using one. I have used it for years without any scratching or marring. I don't own any "High End" shotguns. The most expensive shotgun I own is a Browning Citori, White Lightning both barrels on it look like a mirror. Pumps and waterfowl autos are what I use the most. The way I see it, pushing a stainless steel brush back and fourth down the barrel a few times every now and then is nothing compared to steel shot loads down the tube at better than 1200 fps.
I Know the shot loads are in plastic cups until the package leaves the barrel, maybe the plastic polishes the scratches out. I have no idea. All I know is my barrels are bright and do not appear scratched.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:10 am 
Crown Grade

It would also depend on whether your bore was chromed or not. Otherwise, stay with brass or bronze - both softer than steel - neither will even hurt a rifle bore - using them in a s.s. rod that scrapes the bore is the real culprit there

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:26 pm 
Limited Edition

cheschire wrote:
is it OK to use a wire brush every time you clean the bore? Or is it best avoided unless there is heavy fowling? I know it can wear down the rifling in a rifled barrel, but does it cause problems in a smooth bore?

LOL ... whoever told you that a brass brush will "wear down rifling" needs to get a grip. Yeah, it "might" cause a very minute bit of "smoothing" after 50,000 passes through the bore, but that isn't likely to happen either. The hot gasses and copper bullets traveling at 3000+fps will wear it out LONG before any brushing that you might do. FWIW, using the 3-piece aluminum rods and not using a bore guide will do more damage than anything else.

That said, I use nothing in ANY of my guns but nylon brushes. I clean with a strong solvent, and the brush simply gets the loose stuff out. If solvents can clean copper from a rifle bore I doubt they'll have any trouble with plastic wad residue or powder and lead fouling. Not to mention that letting a good solvent do the work while you do something else is WAY easier than dragging a bronze brush back and forth for an extended period of time.

Last edited by Hidalgo on Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You're supposed to clean your shotgun?

-- Zig Ziglar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Afraid so, Jeff, and you're supposed to wash underneath "the boys" every now and then, too. Life ... it's full of chores. :P

Re brushes, I don't go to a tornado brush unless I'm cleaning a really fouled gun -- usually someone else's who's neglected it. On my own shotguns, I just go one size up with a bronze phosphor brush. I give my bores a 15-minute solvent soak, chuck that brush and rod into a cordless and have at it. Dry patches, then a damp oil patch, and done. I can usually get the rest of the gun all cleaned up and ready for re-assembly while the bores are getting their soak. Did my favorite SX1 in 15 minutes last night, including the gas system. Didn't drop the trigger group or bolt; After a single day out, I usually just blast those with Gun Scrubber and then some compressed air while in-gun. I'll pull 'em and do 'em properly after 500 or 1,000 rounds.

I haven't cleaned as many guns as SuperXOne, but I've got it down to a fairly quick process, and they're all looking good and functioning 100 percent w/o a ton of effort on my part. Besides, I'm a little odd ... I like cleaning my shotguns.

I skip the drill on rifle barrels and handguns, but still use bronze phosphor brushes. So does every good-shooting LEO I've ever known.

SuperXOne ... do I need to pull the trigger and bolt groups every time, or is every 500 to 1,000 rounds adequate?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

hmm, two things I learned today.

-- Zig Ziglar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Above all, chambers need cleaned. The average owner of a pump or semi never ever drops the trigger group. Our modern el cheapo Aluminum headed shells will stick in dirty chambers if not cleaned every thousand shots, or so. Gas semis need their gas pistons cleaned about then, too,,,or when they quit, whichever comes first.

My Super X's are so easy to drop the trigger group, I do it all the time. Same for Model 12's. Hardly ever for M37's, A-5's, 391s and SKB gas autos. 870's, 1100's, B2000's, and M50's are easier, so maybe
twice a year. A BPS, Mossberg 500, S&W 1000, are all tough to put back togather, so they get neglected, too. But I doubt any actually need the trigger group dropped so long as they work.

Barrel cleaning is easy with a bore snake, and a rod with any brush on it cleans the chambers a little. But several times a year I'll stick my tornado brush wound up with a good sized ball of oil soaked steel wool on a 18" rod section down both ends of a barrel, and spin the rig with an electric drill until it's fairly hot to hold the barrel. This will polish away original sin.;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:20 am 
Crown Grade

The Tornado is ok for modern guns but if you have older guns (like '70's or before) I wouldn't use it. Brass does just fine. I like Payne Gallwey products. They're British and they have British threads so you have to by a rod from England too, but their brushes are fantastic. Short stiff brass bristles with brass assembly. They work great.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:04 am 
Crown Grade

I use phosphor bronze tornado style brushes and they do a great job. I'm old and just have this thing about using steel brushes in the bbls of my guns. Then that's just me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:30 pm 
Field Grade

Can someone tell me what to use to clean out the gas ports on an 11-87? I'm new to shotguns and don't know what to use. My gun is sticking the cheap walmart shells after about 100 rounds without cleaning. I'm probably not cleaning it well.. learning a few things in this thread. All i have is a bore snake - no brush or rod that hooks up to a drill. How do you soak the barrel in solvent? Do you use corks?

Thanks B

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:02 am 
Presentation Grade

Hmmm.....I am old too and have cleaned many-a-gun in my life...many years ago, when the first tornado stainless brush came out, I scratched the bore of a gun and have never used them again.....

I use Brownell's bronze brushes-one size larger (10 gauge for 12 gauge guns), a coated rod (worry more about the rod than the brush); lots of Shooter's Choice and a final coating of Break Free CLP (liquid, never the aerosol).

Again, buy quality coated (one piece) rods; stay away from hard steel/cheap aluminum, etc. Bore guides are a must for rifles.....

You guys clean your Supers a lot quicker than I do.....but, I probably change mainsprings a lot more than you do.......

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

blutcherama wrote:
Can someone tell me what to use to clean out the gas ports on an 11-87? I'm new to shotguns and don't know what to use. My gun is sticking the cheap walmart shells after about 100 rounds without cleaning. I'm probably not cleaning it well.. learning a few things in this thread. All i have is a bore snake - no brush or rod that hooks up to a drill. How do you soak the barrel in solvent? Do you use corks?

The ports aren't the problem. Clean the chamber with a few wraps of paper towel around a bore brush and soaked with solvent. Repeat until the paper is clean. And think about spending a little more for shells.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:03 pm 
Field Grade

When you say chamber do you mean the magazine? Sorry for such a newb question... I'm embarrassed to ask it.