ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington Versamax MAJOR failure - should I be this angry?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:37 am 
Utility Grade

Remington Versamax bolt link assembly broke apart during a round of sporting clays Sunday morning Image.

It Jammed the bolt in battery with the broken assembly locked in the rear of the receiver. The trigger would not engage.

This happened on followup shot of a report pair, leaving a live shell loaded in the chamber with hammer partially cocked.

I could not pull the bolt back to extract the shell. Looking in the receiver I could see the bolt link assemy that rides back into the receiver / return spring was snapped off of the bolt assemy and rotated 90* off center.

Eventually, I decided to remove the forend nut to break it down after holding the shotgun down range for about 2min to ensure there was no hang fire. I Was then able to remove barrel and drop the shell away safely. All the broken bits then came tumbling out when I removed the bolt to inspect the failure.

Scary as hell - I was not about to leave the range with a live round in the chamber and had to take apart my firearm in a way I never want to.

This is the 2nd major failure I've experienced with this shotgun since purchasing it in July. First big issue was a steel gas piston recoil plate fracturing into 3 pieces after about 1k rounds: Image

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon, after about 5500-6k rounds through. Most shells are standard 2.75" target loads @ 1oz, 1200fps. I keep track of my shot count as I shoot a lot of sporting clays, skeet, and trap and always keep score. Went back over all my cards and I'm just under 6k rounds.

Other minor issues:
*receiver plug screws back out due to lack of loctite.
*My forend / magazine tube nut also consistently loosens unless I use pliers to wrench it down.
*Stock bolt loosens after every 200-500 rounds. Had to loctite this as well.
*Gun didn't come with a trigger lock despite it being on the parts list

I clean and maintain my shotgun meticulously and cannot believe this happened after what I would consider normal use. This model also set me back $1250...

What would you have done / should I be this upset my gun had failed due to quality flaws?

I've been a Remington fan for a while but this really has soured my opinion of the company. Their support department was unconcerned and just opened a warranty repair ticket for me. woo.

TL;DR - my Remington versamax shotgun experienced a mechanical failure on the range that could have hurt me and is one of many quality issues I've had with this $1200 shotgun. Remington support sounded less than concerned when I called them. Should I be mad?

Post subject: Re: Remington Versamax MAJOR failure - should I be this angr
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:55 pm 
Limited Edition

In a word, YES.
That is scary. We are VERY safety conscious and we do not anticipate equipment failure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:56 pm 
Limited Edition

Good luck with Rem.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Sounds like a great gun. Yeah, you should be angry. I mean, for the price these go for, there are guns that don't break, or if they do, it's one part, one fix, and you're back at it. No mechanical device is perfect all the time, but this sounds really excessive for a shotgun priced right up there with the first-tier Italian pieces.

Oh, I'm glad so many people here have recommended them to others, just because they have some blind allegiance to Remington. :roll:

Good luck. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I suppose you paid the admission price to get in the "I'm mad line" all right. You will find you have lots of company; gun owners, car owners, boat owners, the list is endless. Back when I sold guns I saw so much stuff go wrong with new guns - from every major manufacturer - I couldn't believe it. Top of the line revolver locked up out of the box brand new - never even loaded, 9mm semi slide broke with the first clip, a bolt action rifle where it took two hands to work the bolt, an O/U with a 1/64" gap off face, a SxS with a broken fore end iron in the box, a pump that broke cycling the slide easy right in front of me, and several semi shotguns that broke something on early outings. Stuff happens. But, most eventually got taken care of to the owner's satisfaction, albeit never as fast as the owner would have liked. Sorry, but I do not share the danger aspects of the event as you see it. Good luck on getting things resolved. I do believe Remington will take care of you as well as any.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

evanboyle,
I have more Remington guns in my gun safe than any other brand. Most of mine are older guns and I have been pleased with them. For the past few years I have seen more Remington's with all sorts of problems. I have written Big Green off for any future purchases. I think that Remington's QC and company quality has gone down the drain.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Like 3feathers, I have many Remingtons. Not one is newer than 20 years old.

I have had great successes with all my older guns, but from the stories I have heard like yours, I'm not certain i'd get in line for a new one, even if it were free...

follow this link to join the forum's bonus Membership
https://www.shotgunworld.com/memberships.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:18 am 
Diamond Grade

When you see parts break like that it is most likely do to over heat treating. I'll bet yours won't be the only one having problems on that build date.
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:47 am 
Crown Grade

"Like 3feathers, I have many Remingtons. Not one is newer than 20 years old."

I have an Express that's newer, and it has not had any trouble. It's rust-prone, but some oil takes care of that. It is, however, a gun made before Cerberus bought the company.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:23 am 
Diamond Grade

easyedwin wrote:
Good luck with Rem.

Contrary to your implication, Remington customer service is typically quite good and the chances are high that the OP will be taken care of. Virginian's comments are more thoughtful and accurate than most in this thread. The vast majority of complaints that I have heard concerning Remington shotguns have been directed at the 870 Express, with good reason. Other than that, Remington autos appear to me to be very reliable. I own two of them and when availability and cash flow coincide, I fully intend to purchase a new CompSyn for myself, and will do so without reservation.

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible."

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, you have a right to be PO'd.

-- Zig Ziglar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:30 pm 
Limited Edition

I might take my chances on the 1100 Competition Synthetic, but no way on the Versa. It looks good on paper, but once I actually got one in my hands I was severely disappointed. The action felt like it was full of sand and the overall feel of the gun did not exude quality. It probably wouldn't be a bad gun for $800 but at $1200 is not a good value.

I'm sure Remington is going to take care of you just fine. I don't know why people get all uptight when they don't get the OMG reaction that they expect. Give them a chance to make things right before you pass judgement. Once they fix the POS, dump it and get yourself a quality gun that is built for the high volume of shooting that you seem to be doing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Shoulda got a Beretta! But in all seriousness that is scary and hopefully they'll fix it for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a competition synthetic and at the onset had some issues. The rib came loose but with a phone call a new one arrived within 6 days of my phone call, an issue with the trigger group was resolved in the same manner. Christy at Remington was attentive and prompt with the remedies and the parts. As I was using STS ammo at the time the rib came loose they asked for the remaining 8 shells and about 2 weeks later I received a report of their findings and 4 boxes of STS. I will look to see if I have the full details/phone numbers etc and post them for you, I was certainly a bit disappointed it happened but the service could not have been better. About 7000 rounds have gone down the pipe since then with no issues......... Larry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:48 am 
Crown Grade

I'm with those that recommend giving Remington a chance to address the issues before passing judgment on their customer service. My experience with them has been very good. I'm sorry you had part failures but that is subject to happen with any mechanical device. Contrary to some of the comments above, no brands/models are totally reliable. In all the years I have spent at gun clubs, I have seen failures virtually across the board, from K-guns doubling on down. I have also seen a screw fall out of one of a pair of new Purdeys and the other wasn't regulated to the same POI. And for that matter, I had to shoot three Berettas in Argentina because they had to be repaired (in fairness they were shot to pieces). Unfortunately you have to deal with some of this regardless of what you shoot. I don't believe it's something to get mad about unless you don't get satisfaction; it just is what it is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You have a right to be mad at Remington, but you should also blame yourself for not doing your homework on that model of gun before purchasing it.

The reviews on that gun have been terrible from day one. 15 minutes spent on internet research or on this site would have let you know there were potential for problems with this gun.

Buyer beware.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Au contraire, the reviews on the VersaMax have been anything but terrible, and there are lots of happy owners. If I needed a 3-1/2" semi, or I could live with plastic, I might consider one myself.
In order to squeeze more profits and make more money on their stock options, the manufacturing business climate has changed from the total quality Toyota model of the 1980s - more's the pity in my opinion. It is NOT just Remington; ask Toyota. Name anything that hasn't had problems or been recalled. Look at the Boeing 787.
Hopefully, thanks to Obama's edicts, all the gun manufacturers will now be able to concentrate on making their field and target models better and quit trying to make them look scarier and hold more ammo.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In it's entire life, Winchester was only able to make one really good semi automatic shotgun, the original Super X.

And Remington has only been able to make exactly one excellent semi automatic shotgun, the Remington 1100.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Virginian wrote:
Au contraire, the reviews on the VersaMax have been anything but terrible, and there are lots of happy owners. If I needed a 3-1/2" semi, or I could live with plastic, I might consider one myself.
In order to squeeze more profits and make more money on their stock options, the manufacturing business climate has changed from the total quality Toyota model of the 1980s - more's the pity in my opinion. It is NOT just Remington; ask Toyota. Name anything that hasn't had problems or been recalled. Look at the Boeing 787.
Hopefully, thanks to Obama's edicts, all the gun manufacturers will now be able to concentrate on making their field and target models better and quit trying to make them look scarier and hold more ammo.

I've heard a few positive reviews, but mostly comments like the original post. Enough bad reviews to make me shy away from the versamax, especially at $1200.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:31 am 
Utility Grade

With the frequency that Remington's Customer Service has had to handle Customers in the past 10 years. It's no wonder their so good at it.

I don't question the quality of their Customer Service; I question the reason to need them so often.

I've loved Remington Shotguns to death......their death that is. I've since moved on.