ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why not buy 3.5" chambered gun when available?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

An asteroid strike might be more likely to occur.

Seriously, I wonder if McIntosh feels the same way about shooting 2 1/2" shells in a 3" chamber?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

lossking wrote:
An asteroid strike might be more likely to occur.

Seriously, I wonder if McIntosh feels the same way about shooting 2 1/2" shells in a 3" chamber?

Again, I'll have to reread the article but if I recall correctly then, yes, he basically said to keep shell length to within a 1/4 inch of chamber length.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:52 pm 
Crown Grade

I wonder what were McIntosh's engineering credentials or test data to make such a recommendation?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:10 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

lossking wrote:

Are you skilled at seances?

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:
lossking wrote:

Are you skilled at seances?

No, I was hoping that Bladeswitcher is a medium.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Interesting and nice that the respect often given to an individual is independent of their being right in every comment or, even, as pertains to the decisions and actions undertaken during their life….for some of us.

One takes any comment, whether labeled as opinion or not and whether the commenter is dead or not, and carries on….make a note as a need shouts of course but, really, the in the weeds engineering analysis so often used on message boards is never ending…. a la the tooting of dueling global warming experts, perhaps.
LC Smith crossed swords come to mind.
“Prove it”….certainly does get old….I wonder how much of that message board stuff can be set on the stoop of boredom alone….or, “I know better”.

Opinions, et al given on gun stuff make a poor scale for anything of value….especially on a good fella or feller-ette riding in the shotgun seat of a dog truck.

Post subject: Re: Why not buy 3.5
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:26 pm 
Field Grade

casonet wrote:
For what it's worth, my Versa Max 3 1/2" will reliably digest my mouse fart 3/4oz Extra Lite Skeet loads all day long. Tried it one day because I was curious. The exact same load will not cycle in my 3" SX-3. Now, I don't shoot skeet with the Versa Max, but I certainly could if I wanted to with my pet loads.

Ditto - my Versa Max will eat 1 oz, 1100 / 1200 FPS loads at Sporting Clays all day long. I have been shooting it for several years, and never had a hiccup.

I have never tried 7/8 oz loads - only because I haven't found any at Academy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Multiflora wrote:
Interesting and nice that the respect often given to an individual is independent of their being right in every comment or, even, as pertains to the decisions and actions undertaken during their life….for some of us.

One takes any comment, whether labeled as opinion or not and whether the commenter is dead or not, and carries on….make a note as a need shouts of course but, really, the in the weeds engineering analysis so often used on message boards is never ending…. a la the tooting of dueling global warming experts, perhaps.
“Prove it”….certainly does get old….I wonder how much of that message board stuff can be set on the stoop of boredom alone….or, “I know better”.

Opinions, et al given on gun stuff make a poor scale for anything of value….especially on a good fella or feller-ette riding in the shotgun seat of a dog truck.

Exactly! . . . or . . . maybe . . . actually, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:59 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Bladeswitcher wrote:
Multiflora wrote:

Exactly! . . . or . . . maybe . . . actually, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

I don't know, either, except it isn't in any form of recognizable English. It sounds like something about shotgun seats, dogs, and Caitlyn Jenner.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:10 pm 
Crown Grade

:D :D 90+ degrees...air conditioner on the fritz.....I'll take "exactly" and in the future ignore dead guys needing to prove up their bona fides on message boards.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Multiflora wrote:

That is the most interesting comment I've read on this forum all year. I couldn't have said it better myself. {hs#

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Multiflora wrote:

Well, that settles it then. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:51 pm 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
Well, that settles it then. :lol:

Yes, I should have piffled away sooner.......would have saved the experts all that effort to post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:15 pm 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
Bladeswitcher wrote:
I'll have to dig through my books but I recall Michael McIntosh writing a column warning about shooting short shells in long chamber guns. Seems like he said there was a REMOTE POSSIBILITY that a short wad could get all catty-wampus and off-kilter while traveling through that long chamber and producing a situation that was somewhat akin to a barrel obstruction. As I recall he suggested keeping shell length to one-quarter inch of chamber length. In other words, 2-3/4 was fine in a 3 inch gun but potentially dangerous in a 3.5 chamber.

Yeah, this strikes me as a VERY remote possibility and likely nothing to worry too much about but I wasn't sure if it had been mentioned. Flavor for the soup . . .

I shoot 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz. target loads in my 3 1/2" SX2 for a few rounds of skeet and 5 stand before duck season. The gun functions fine with them and doesn't kick much, and will also handle some of the faster 1 oz. loads. Works out real well as the gun is a hunting gun, not a target gun. Most of the time I shoot clays with my SX2 Sporting or one of my O/Us. I don't get the hostility toward 3 1/2" guns. They have their place and outclass 3" guns for certain applications.

That just sounds so much like the guy who was willing to proclaim how a normal 1-ounce 12-gauge forstner-style shotgun slug could somehow turn sideways while going down an over-bored/backbored barrel and turn itself into an obstruction, simply because it's length front-to-back was equal to or slightly shorter than it's diameter across.
BS,, not happening.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I found the McIntosh comments that I recalled. It's in "Shotguns & Shooting, Three" in a chapter called Chambers (page 85 in my copy). I offer it only to support what I had written before: that I recalled that Michael McIntosh suggested there was some theoretical danger in shooting short shells in long chambers -- more than a quarter inch difference is what I remembered but I see now he's talking half-inch differences. I also see that my recollection of his reasoning was not entirely accurate.

Like I said originally, "flavor for the soup." I'm not necessarily defending his position. Just putting it out there.

Anyway, I hope you can read this . . .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

He was a wonderful author and I very much enjoyed all of his books, but maybe I don't agree with everything that he wrote. Case in point: my Versa Max was designed to fire 2 3/4" up to 3 1/2" shells. Guess the engineers at Remington didn't read the book

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:44 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

In part, but the VM was designed to be a 3-1/2 gun first and foremost. If you like the VM, that strays off of "Why not buy 3.5" chambered gun when available?" for there is no 2-3/4 inch Versa Max or 3 inch Versa Max.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:15 am 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
In part, but the VM was designed to be a 3-1/2 gun first and foremost. If you like the VM, that strays off of "Why not buy 3.5" chambered gun when available?" for there is no 2-3/4 inch Versa Max or 3 inch Versa Max.

But with the V3 sharing the versaport, now there is a 3in and 3.5in option. In my mind anyway. Both appear to be reliable. Others probably disagree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:44 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The V3 is substantially lighter and less costly than the VM. You nay well prefer one over the other, but it isn't like the VM is a 3-1/2 inch version of the V3 at all: they are completely different guns.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:46 am 
Crown Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:
I found the McIntosh comments that I recalled. It's in "Shotguns & Shooting, Three" in a chapter called Chambers (page 85 in my copy). I offer it only to support what I had written before: that I recalled that Michael McIntosh suggested there was some theoretical danger in shooting short shells in long chambers -- more than a quarter inch difference is what I remembered but I see now he's talking half-inch differences. I also see that my recollection of his reasoning was not entirely accurate.

Like I said originally, "flavor for the soup." I'm not necessarily defending his position. Just putting it out there.

Anyway, I hope you can read this . . .

So now show us the documented cases where this happened!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next