ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upland boots
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:18 pm 
Limited Edition

I know this is sort of off topic, but I am looking for a new pair of upland boots. The Filson and Orvis boots look good but the $400 price is high, maybe its worth it. I looked at the LLBean boots, good price, but are they a quality product. Imported so I am a bit disappointed had hoped to buy USA. Irish setters are made in Vietnam and feel flimsy. My current pair are from Cabelas, waterproof, uninsulated, they have worn well for almost 15 years and its time to retire them. The current offering in traditional leather (kangaroo) looks good but they are not water proof. Any suggestions would be much appreciated..

Post subject: Re: Upland boots
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Depending on the type of hunting you'r planning on doing, your boots are about as important as any of your other gear; not the place to go cheap, IMO, especially if you're climbing/hunting in rough terrain.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

Don’t cheap out on boots. The difference between a day with cozy, Good fitting boots and a day with wet or sloppy boots is huge. I’ve actually had good luck with some of the gore tex Danner boots but it really just depends on what fits.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:34 pm 
Crown Grade

I like my Danner Pronghorns. I've seen lots of recommendations for the Cabelas Meindl line.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:12 pm 
Field Grade

I am currently using Cabela's Men's Speed Hunter Boa® Hunting Boots. They were deeply discounted and I liked the concept of the BOA cable laces. Other than not being tall enough to provide sufficient ankle support, they work great. I’ve worn out several pairs of Danner boots. I broke way to many of the lace hooks and had the stitched soles come loose after a few years and many miles. Steve Grooms, the author of “Modern Pheasant Hunting” recommends LL Bean boots. After having many leaks from Gore-Tex boots, I’m considering trying LLBean hunting boots next myself. Has anyone else used them for upland bird hunting?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:05 am 
Diamond Grade

I've owned a pair of the Maine hunting boots as long as I can remember .That's all I wear in the field. Made here in the USA ,lifetime guarantee , Great boot for what I do and the terrain I hunt in. I don't think I 'd be happy with them in really rocky conditions though, they don't have a really hard sole .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:16 am 
Limited Edition

LL Bean Kangaroo Upland Hunting Boots. Uninsulated and very comfortable and stable. I've worn a lot of boots in my day and these get my vote.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:38 am 
Crown Grade

Alas, for where and what I hunt, it`s waterproof snake boots ( Lacrosse ) year round.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:59 am 
Crown Grade

My Danners were US-made and have been resoled. If I really wanted to treat myself, I would have Russell make me a pair custom-fitted to my exact foot dimensions.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:14 pm 
Crown Grade

I have gone through two pair of irish setters and a pair of the redhead upland boots. I found that the redhead is just as comfortable, hold up just as well, and the waterproofing actually has held up better. I am hoping they go on sale as we get closer to bird season.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

HalfStop wrote:
LL Bean Kangaroo Upland Hunting Boots. Uninsulated and very comfortable and stable. I've worn a lot of boots in my day and these get my vote.

I second this recommendation for LL Bean Kangaroo boots. Best boots ever.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:56 pm 
Field Grade

Russell Moccasin Co. Been quail guiding in them for 2 years daily, 6 months a year, and they are fantastic. Whatever you go with don't let price make the decision.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Eddie D wrote:
Russell Moccasin Co. Been quail guiding in them for 2 years daily, 6 months a year, and they are fantastic. Whatever you go with don't let price make the decision.

Agreed! I have worn custom-fitted Russell Signature South Forty Birdshooters since 2010 and had them resoled two seasons ago. They are exceptionally comfortable and durable. Properly cared for they should last another 10-15 seasons. The initial cost is significant but I consider it a bargain for boots that I can enjoy for so many years. I used to go through other brands in 4-5 seasons so my Russells may actually be cheaper in the long run. I also have a pair of Russell Art Carters that I have shot doves in in Argentina and elsewhere. With no more wear than that puts on them, they may outlast me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:05 am 
Tournament Grade

Question for those who have Russels.

I have been considering a pair of South 40s. How are they in wet conditions? water proof?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:11 am 
Limited Edition

I have a pair of Cabela's Upland Pro's that I really like (along with 5-6 pair of older Irish Setters, Cabela's). They are Goretex, lightweight leather, good sole that provides traction in mud, snow yet doesn't clog and are lightweight. They also have a completely protected toe box. I hunt pheasants and grouse/woodcock in Minnesota (temps go from 70-sub-zero, in woods, fields, snow, standing water).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:41 am 
Crown Grade

hunterdcb wrote:
Question for those who have Russels.

I have been considering a pair of South 40s. How are they in wet conditions? water proof?

I regularly treat my Russell’s with the Obenauf’s Heavy Duty Leather Preservative that came with them. Although they do not have a waterproof membrane, the Obenauf’s, in combination with the triple vamp construction and leather lining , make them highly water resistant. I have hunted in wet weather and crossed creeks without my feet getting wet. That’s not to say that they would stay dry in standing water but that’s not when or where I bird hunt anyway. I wear Hunter or Le Chameau wellies for those conditions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Kangaroo hide boots are light and very tough! LL Bean's are nice cabela's refuse to back there life time guaranty. Mine are still good after 3 years my friends stitching ripped out the first year and they will not replace them or refund them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:49 am 
Limited Edition

Danners.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:08 pm 
Limited Edition

I ordered a pair of LL Bean upland boots, and they arrived yesterday. Initial reaction; they look good, not made in USA, but Beans backs them with their outstanding warranty. I will wear them around the place for a few days and see how they feel. If they don't work, back they go. The warranty and responses from this thread helped me with the decision. After I placed the order, I came across the Russell Co video. If the Beans don't work I think I will dig deep and order a pair of Russells. I have been advised to buy from Filsons, but they don't stand behind their products. Their warranty is for normal life and wear of product and they decide what is normal. Their sales people were really condescending and they don't make their boots anyway and the price is close to what Russells cost. I will let you know.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:09 pm 
Limited Edition

I ordered a pair of LL Bean upland boots, and they arrived yesterday. Initial reaction; they look good, not made in USA, but Beans backs them with their outstanding warranty. I will wear them around the place for a few days and see how they feel. If they don't work, back they go. The warranty and responses from this thread helped me with the decision. After I placed the order, I came across the Russell Co video. If the Beans don't work I think I will dig deep and order a pair of Russells. I have been advised to buy from Filsons, but they don't stand behind their products. Their warranty is for normal life and wear of product and they decide what is normal. Their sales people were really condescending and they don't make their boots anyway and the price is close to what Russells cost. I will let you know.