ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Upland boots
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:38 am 
Limited Edition

I know you have just bought new boots, but the main issue (as a lifelong bird hunter) is the type of hunting you will do. In the steep canyon country where I hunt chukars in Idaho, a stiffer boot like a mountaineering boot is perfect. In low swampy wet country, a rubber bottom boot like the Bean Maine Hunting Shoe is about right (mine is now Lathrop and Sons’ Mountain Hunter). In between, such as for Midwest pheasant hunting, I like a USA made Danner, such as the Hood Winter Light.

One type of boot will not fit all conditions

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:18 am 
Diamond Grade

Keen all the way. Super light, water proof, super comfortable and I've had mine for a couple years now. The ones I have are kind of a cross between a work boot and a hiker. I love and won't be buying anything else for a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:13 pm 
Limited Edition

Time to get new boots. I can't find upland boots that can withstand where I grouse/pheasant hunt. If there's any type of seem/moc toe across the toe, it's ripped apart and shoe-gooed within 3 years. Cabelas, Irish setter

Are the new Danner Pronghorns (400gr) any good? The new design seems to have gotten rid of the seams across the toe Or I'll go back to the Irish Setter Trail phantoms--they I think made it 4 seasons before starting to come apart at the to seams and are inexpensive

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:23 pm 
Limited Edition

I have had great luck with both Danner and Irish Setter boots. Durable, comfortable and waterproof.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:32 pm 
Limited Edition

southdakbearfan wrote:
I have had great luck with both Danner and Irish Setter boots. Durable, comfortable and waterproof.

I might give the Danner Pronghorns a try.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have about 5 years into a pair of Danner 453s - I wear them for all sorts of outdoor activities, and they're sturdy, waterproof, and still in remarkably good shape. The biggest issue is they eat shoelaces - had to go to the kevlar laces, and even then it's good to keep spares.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:05 pm 
Limited Edition

Win50 wrote:
I have about 5 years into a pair of Danner 453s - I wear them for all sorts of outdoor activities, and they're sturdy, waterproof, and still in remarkably good shape. The biggest issue is they eat shoelaces - had to go to the kevlar laces, and even then it's good to keep spares.

I used some wire shrink tubes on common wear points of the laces that seemed to take care of some of those issues for me. You have to get the more rubbery kind that stays pliable and isn't super thick.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:34 am 
Limited Edition

Saw that this thread came back to life so I thought an update was a good idea. The LL Bean upland boots have performed well. They have been waterproof and the goretex lining breathes so my feet stay dry. The soles did wear faster than I thought they should, so this fall I had them resoled with a new vibram sole for about $80. I figure the new sole will get me another 4 maybe 5 years on the boots. The uppers seem to be holding up well and the only concern is the rolled edge on the top of the toe box has worn through so I need to figure out if its under warranty or is it worth repairing. All in all Beans upland boots have worked well for me. Walking fields for pheasant, in tighter brush for quail, and walking sometimes steep and rough terrain for sharptails and huns, they provide good support and are comfortable all day long.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:01 pm 
Crown Grade

My go to for “upland” boots is a knee high agricultural farm market rubber boot. Where I hunt, marsh and creek crossing are a must for pheasants. Pushing cattails often has me crashing through the ice. Sometimes up to my waist. I keep extra socks and pants in the truck. I know a guy that wears light duck waders to hunt pheasants. Haven’t made that move yet but it works to leave the leather boot crowd behind. He gets birds. Leather boots just doesn’t get it done if you want to get a bird on public land in Wisconsin unless you follow the DNR stocking truck. Reed or Quatro are rubber boot brands farmers wear everyday 7 days a week. There are others. These boots see more wear in a month than a hunting brand like Muck, which suck, will see in a year. I would love to be able to wear nice light leather boot to hunt upland game. Even grouse hunting I’m often working snow and knee high insulated rubber boots are better. Deer hunt with them too so double duty.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Gentlemen,

My favorite water proof boots to hunt Grouse and Woodcock in are the Dinner Grouse Boots, in fact I just bought another pair of them this past month. I also use the L.L. Bean Grouse boots and I have an old pair of Cabelas Green boots, made from Kangaroo that I have resoled 2 times, very nice light water proof boots. All though my Danner boots are slightly heavier, I do a lot of Grouse hunting in them, especially when there is snow on the ground.

I love the Russell back 40 bird shooters, the cost is pretty high, needing more than one pair of boots I opt for the other boots.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:23 pm 
Limited Edition

I bought a pair of LL Bean Maine Hunting Boots around 1980. I wore the soles out and sent them back to have new soles put on them. My son borrowed them and burned a hole in the leather. I sent them back to have new leather installed. I had to pay for the sole replacement and the leather replacement. Both were cheap in cost. So my 40 year old LL Bean Boots look like new. I recommend them. I use Sno-Seal on the leather to keep the leather conditioned and waterproofed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:59 am 
Tournament Grade

Kenetrek mountain extreme

I have cartilage damage on both sides of my ankle. Surgery did not fix it.

The only thing that helped were my Kenetrek's best boots I have ever had by far.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’ve owned one pair of Irish Setter Red Wing boots since 1986. I still wear them in nice weather.

But when the weather is the slightest bit nasty I wear some generic pair of modern synthetic boots from Walmart I paid some forgotten pittance for about ten years ago.

You can stand in water, with the new synthetic boots. Your feet never get cold. They are light and comfortable.

But every chance I get I wear my old Red Wings.

They have a soul, while the new boots just have soles.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Patently Obvious wrote:
My go to for “upland” boots is a knee high agricultural farm market rubber boot. ...

A variation of this works for me.
My ankles and feet are such that I can wear rubber wellies for a half-day. If we haven't limited or we hunt on in the afternoon for some other reason, I switch at the break around noon or so to a pair of leather 8" Red Wing work boots that have a sole that doesn't collect mud, that have a membrane and that I treat with a waterproofer, too.
IMO, one trick to buying rubber knee-highs: They should be a little snug clearing the ankle when you're putting them on, yet still feel like a good fit once you're foot is in the foot bed.
You want something that won't pull off should you step in deep mud.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Upland dog looking more like a duck retriever after a creek crossing. Gotta be willing to cross the creek, often multiple times, as there are good birds there and sometimes bonus ducks on the creek when the ponds freeze.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:04 am 
Utility Grade

You definitely need to have a good pair that will fit with your type of activity. This probably will result in more comfort and subsequently better results. I always make sure to have every possible thing I could need, and also, I make sure to be well equipped. I agree with your statement completely. Also, I recently discovered this platform that has great information on shoes. You can find everything there, even information about suede leather boots for example. It’s just a pretty informative online platform, that can be helpful before buying something that you might regret afterwards. You should check it out.

Last edited by Yringel on Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:04 am 
Field Grade

Danner makes the best boots, period. Red Wing offers some great upland boots. At times you’ll need a pair of Lacrosse rubber boots.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:32 am 
Field Grade

hunterdcb wrote:
Question for those who have Russels.

I have been considering a pair of South 40s. How are they in wet conditions? water proof?

We nicknamed our Russel spongeBobs,they were terrible in the wet. The hard hunters here all were Kenetrek, been through danners,Cabelas,lathrops to name the least.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:10 am 
Presentation Grade

Irish Setter Wingshooter boots. I've been wearing/using a pair since 2011 and have never had a problem with them. I treat them with Kiwi mink oil and Snow Seal every year before the season starts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:13 am 
Limited Edition

I have a couple of pairs of Danners and they fit great. Grouse and Danner Light Two. Very light and comfortable. Made in America also.