ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Looking for a new Duck gun, Help please Randy Wakeman
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

2008 Benelli Super Sport, no "click" yet. I had a cracked forearm which Benelli replaced in year one.

"shoot what ya like, like what ya shoot".....it's that simple!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:40 pm 
Crown Grade

BGK wrote:
If you need Wakeman or anyone else to tell you what gun you should buy, you have a serious problem ... did you ask, or are you going to ask who you should marry?

I been divorced several times.

First one was a Berreta 390 silver mallard. Number two was a 11-87 special field, which I got hitched to after a brief relationship with an 1100 light twenty, but those were just grouse guns.

My real serious lovers are the hinge barrels. Right now I'm married to a 28ga. SxS and an old hag of a Savage Springfield 944 12ga., good and decent duck guns, IMO, and they treat me better than I deserve even though I beat on them regularly. These two are very open minded and will still let me swing around with my old high school sweet-heart, a Mossberg 500 12ga. that lost her front bead long ago. That Mossberg gave me my first woodie and a blue wing teal on the first duck hunting date.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you guys for your responses concerning the Benelli and the hyped up "click" issue. I think I have a clearer picture now of what is real and what is as you fella's pointed out as either dislike for the gun, or a lack of knowledge and poor maintenance. I knew there had to be more to this, but not being familiar with the Benelli, all I was hearing was "watch out for the click". I talked to several gunsmiths and every one of them said the same thing, fantastic gun, keep it clean and it will last a life time. They also said they tend to not like loads under 1oz. No big deal to me, just don't run light loads through it. Again, thanks for helping me understand the facts !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Glad you’re still with us! There’s a bunch of really great shotguns available these days. Hope your search turns out well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:46 am 
Diamond Grade

John Curtiss wrote:
Thank you guys for your responses concerning the Benelli and the hyped up "click" issue. I think I have a clearer picture now of what is real and what is as you fella's pointed out as either dislike for the gun, or a lack of knowledge and poor maintenance. I knew there had to be more to this, but not being familiar with the Benelli, all I was hearing was "watch out for the click". I talked to several gunsmiths and every one of them said the same thing, fantastic gun, keep it clean and it will last a life time. They also said they tend to not like loads under 1oz. No big deal to me, just don't run light loads through it. Again, thanks for helping me understand the facts !

This is why it’s best to get shotgun advice from real users as there is confirmation bias amongst writers just as much or even more so than others.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:47 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

John Curtiss wrote:
OK, I'm looking for a duck gun, and upon doing so, I've ran into the same controversy
I'm sure thousands of others have also experienced. You talk to your buds, you go to the gun store, you read and read and read. It's the Ford - Chevy thing all over again, except now it's with shotguns. I've watched Randy Wakeman ( really like this guy ) for hours doing shotgun reviews / test firing clays, etc. It's apparent the Benelli click issue still exists, and now on the newer A5's also since it appears it has the exact same bolt. So can somebody please tell me why on Gods green earth anyone with a brain would voluntarily buy either of these guns when it's no secret there's a problem with the bolt engaging AND problems shooting 2-3/4" light loads when on the other hand, there's guns that perform flawlessly,
like the Fabarm XLR5, the Beretta A400 extreme, the Retay Masai Mara, Remington Versa
Max or many others that work properly ???????

Shotguns are not all that important to many people. As a result, they often just buy what their buddy has, or what the sweater behind the counter says. It is just choices. You can buy a Remington 870 and have zero problems with light loads or the Benelli Click.

That's no fun, though.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:30 am 
Field Grade

As of Benelli,
I think those with 3" chamber will be cycling even 7/8oz OK.
Also, I would avoid the latest SBE3 - there are just too many complaints on cabelas.com reviews
that it shoots several inches high, etc. I would not want to play this kind of lottery having paid over $1700. You won't be able to return that shotgun. The shotgun in this price range must be of consistently high quality. Some people say that even the the most aggressive shim wasn't a cure. So I would probably look into Vinchi, M2 or similar. For waterfowl hunting it would be nice to have it in cerakote to be a bit more rust resistant.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:33 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

i3rider wrote:
As of Benelli,
Also, I would avoid the latest SBE3 - there are just too many complaints on cabelas.com reviews
that it shoots several inches high, etc.

Only the Ethos has 7/8 oz. loads touted.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:01 pm 

Dr Duk wrote:
Do they still make the A-350? I think it has been discontinued.

Could be. I just saw a couple in a local gun shop last week and Beretta still lists them on their web site though.
https://www.beretta.com/en-us/a350-xtrema-max5/

i3rider wrote:
As of Benelli,

That's not been my experience. The four shot (M1/M2) models seem to be fine with 1oz field loads. The five shot models (Monte, Legacy) and even the UL seem to be a little better and cycle 1 oz target loads. There are always those exceptions that cycle below or above the norm load wise.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:24 pm 
Field Grade

I suspect there must be a way for inertia shotguns to make it cycling lighter loads, i.e. some 3rd party tuning springs, etc ...?
I would exclude 3.5" ammo, adjust/tune it to cycle reliably from for 7/8 to 1-1/4oz 3" and be happy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
Woodduck1 wrote:
Perhaps I missed it but I don't believe anybody mentioned Winchester.
I own Browning/Miroku Auto-5 Mag, Browning new A-5, Browning BPS 10 and 12, Remington 11-87, Remington 1100, an old Marlin 120, and Winchester SX-3. I have previously owned Browning Gold, Beretta, and Benelli. Don't own Benelli or Beretta now because the Italian guns just don't fit me right. Got rid of the Gold because it hated cold weather.
IF I decide to hunt geese where the shots are going to be really long - it's BPS 10 time. But the gun that gets 75-90% of the work the rest of the time is the SX-3.
Runs everything I feed it, patterns great with Trulock chokes, doesn't mind cold weather...been a true workhorse.

Even with adjustable shims, Beretta doesn’t fit?

ps: When it's dry and I'm not going to get the old girl messed up - I still have to enjoy a few days a year of whacking 'em with the Auto-5. She's still the "gold standard" of duck guns to old guys like me. Just keep a supply of spare wood around....LOL.

Nope.....the Italian guns just don't feel right to me and they're all stocked quite long.....which is an issue in and of itself, as many, if not most, gunsmiths don't seem to want to take on shortening synthetic stocks. I like to shoot 14.0" LOP......which I was able to accomplish on the SX3 with a thinner pad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

i3rider wrote:
I suspect there must be a way for inertia shotguns to make it cycling lighter loads, i.e. some 3rd party tuning springs, etc ...?
I would exclude 3.5" ammo, adjust/tune it to cycle reliably from for 7/8 to 1-1/4oz 3" and be happy.

Yes you can buy a reduced power spring and shoot only light loads. I have never done this so no personal experience. Not sure how they run. Worth doing a bit more looking into though. I have put the extra power in and shot only heavy loads though.

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts ... 20441.aspx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

My 12 gauge Montefeltro cycles 7/8 oz loads no problem, every time with strong ejection and crisp bolt speed and has since new and has never inflicted the dreaded Bruno Civolani click on one of my hunts or target shooting(thousands of rounds). As far as the Benelli thumb, wair gloves or just grow a pair, its not a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:22 pm 
Crown Grade

oldshotty wrote:
My 12 gauge Montefeltro cycles 7/8 oz loads no problem, every time with strong ejection and crisp bolt speed and has since new and has never inflicted the dreaded Bruno Civolani click on one of my hunts or target shooting(thousands of rounds). As far as the Benelli thumb, wair gloves or just grow a pair, its not a problem.

Beautiful!:-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

oldshotty wrote:

{hs# My Montefeltro turned me into a Benelli fan (But I still love my Berettas!)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

desmobob wrote:
oldshotty wrote:

{hs# My Montefeltro turned me into a Benelli fan (But I still love my Berettas!)

No worries Sir, A300's and 400's in walnut always catch my eye at the LGS, I'm sure they are fine guns.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:56 am 
Field Grade

desmobob wrote:
oldshotty wrote:

haha, exact same thing for me :D
mine is 20ga Monte - bought it last year