ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta A300 cycling problems
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:26 pm 
Utility Grade

My beretta A300 outlander is not cycling properly. Once fired it ejects the spent shell just fine, when loading another in, it only loads about half way and stops, I have cleaned it consistently and even took it to a gunsmith to clean it... same problem and cannot figure out the culprit. Any ideas?? (Gun is only 2 years old)

Last edited by SethBourquin on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Beretta A300 cycling problems
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

How many rounds through it and what ammo are you using when the problem occurs?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:15 pm 
Waterfowl Expert

I have an A300 that is 3 yeaRS OLD MODERATE ROUND COUNT. clean the spring in the stock. I was having the same problem. I changed the recoil spring in stock. problem went a way. springs are available from brownells. I was told that beretta recommends changing springs after 3 years. evidently springs aren't what they used to be!! the 300,390 and 391 take the same spring.

Bull

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:55 am 
Presentation Grade

Check the barrel gas ports, make sure they are clean and unobstructed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:18 pm 
Crown Grade

icyclefar wrote:
Check the barrel gas ports, make sure they are clean and unobstructed.

Totally agree! The most important maintenance item on an A300. Keep it clean and the gun will function reliably!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:00 am 
Utility Grade

bigrobbierob wrote:
How many rounds through it and what ammo are you using when the problem occurs?

I have only had the gun for 2 years and have tried about 8 different brands of shot and it happens on all of them. Even after a good cleaning

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:06 am 
Utility Grade

Bull Nutria wrote:
I have an A300 that is 3 yeaRS OLD MODERATE ROUND COUNT. clean the spring in the stock. I was having the same problem. I changed the recoil spring in stock. problem went a way. springs are available from brownells. I was told that beretta recommends changing springs after 3 years. evidently springs aren't what they used to be!! the 300,390 and 391 take the same spring.

Bull

This gun is only 2 years old. The first time it happened was the first year I owned it, with probably 10 boxes through it, and cleaned it after every 2 boxes. The first time it happened, I took it to the gun smith to clean it and it still acted up. I was kind of thinking recoil spring too, but a year old gun shouldn't need replacement parts in my opinion...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:22 am 
Crown Grade

"Once fired it ejects the spent shell just fine,"
That tells me the gas system is functioning just fine, so the gas ports should be just fine.
Failure to EJECT would be a gas system issue.

"when loading another in, it only loads about half way and stops,"
This tells me it's a weak spring to drive the bolt fwd (or filth/crud in the same area).
Clean/replace parts as needed. That spring won't last forever. It is never "relaxed".
If you store the gun bolt open (spring compressed even more than with the bolt closed) it will last even less time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

When standing on relatively flat ground, how far does the gun throw the empty shells? If it's about 6 to 10 feet, then it sounds like it's getting plenty of gas through the gas system.

I agree with Old Stuffer that it sounds like a recoil spring problem. The spring may not necessarily be worn out. I just might be crudded up with congealed oil and shipping grease that was never cleaned out to start with.

Suggest you remove the recoil spring and clean/lube the spring and the tube it runs in.

BTW, it wouldn't hurt to remove the trigger assembly and soak it in solvent for a good cleaning too. Then lubricate lightly with gun oil. Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

A bent shell lifter can also result in a failure to chamber the 2nd round

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:21 am 
Crown Grade

you never know how long guns sit in boxes at dealers and or shops, who's to say that some genius didn't maybe pull and lock the bolt out, then it sat for 6 months or so before you came along and bought it.

My point is being is that the spring could be weak from that. I have hundreds of rounds through mine, and I haven't had one single cycling issue, and I haven't heard of anyone else having issues with the shell carrier either, however given the history of the 391 and other series, it could be an issue.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member
"regard le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

andromeda673 wrote:
who's to say that some genius didn't maybe pull and lock the bolt out, then it sat for 6 months or so before you came along and bought it.
If you are referring to the bolt being locked in the open position, that won't weaken it. Coil springs weaken from repeated cycling, not from being stored compressed. That is an old wives' tale. I have about 20 guns in the Beretta 300 series (including 390) that have been stored with the bolts open for DECADES, and not a one of the recoil springs have weakened. The only weak recoil springs I have ever seen were on guns that had been used a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Seamus O'Caiside wrote:
andromeda673 wrote:
who's to say that some genius didn't maybe pull and lock the bolt out, then it sat for 6 months or so before you came along and bought it.
If you are referring to the bolt being locked in the open position, that won't weaken it. Coil springs weaken from repeated cycling, not from being stored compressed. That is an old wives' tale. I have about 20 guns in the Beretta 300 series (including 390) that have been stored with the bolts open for DECADES, and not a one of the recoil springs have weakened. The only weak recoil springs I have ever seen were on guns that had been used a lot.

I was unaware that you could store them open, and thank you for clarifying that, I really appreciate it, I have had alot of guys tell me that it does weaken the spring, but I'm glad to hear that it is an old wives tale.

{hs#

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member
"regard le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

My money would be on the recoil spring. Had similar issues with 3901s. New springs were at least 4" longer than ones that came out of the guns when out of gun.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:11 pm 
Crown Grade

This what I would do:
    Clean the chamber with a bit of 0000 steel wool wrapped around a brush and a little bit of oil. And install a new return spring

Return to Beretta for service

Sell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:27 pm 
Crown Grade

It is not an "old wive's tale" by any means.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:30 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Seamus O'Caiside wrote:

Seamus is spot on. The length of a spring when you remove it means nothing.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hook's law applies, but only up to the point of permanent deformation. A spring with distorted coils delivers less force when compressed as it's working length has changed. It has fewer coils resisting the applied force.

In the case I cited, we laid new and old next to each other as we were replacing. Several coils at the end we much shorter on the old (weak) springs, while those in the middle were as close to new as we could see. Wire diameters were the same. Now we didn't measure the modulus of elasticity or spring force, but it did fix the problem of failing bring all the way into battery.

We also have found the gas block springs were about half a coil short and replaced them. Stopped the FTE issues we had noticed on a couple of the guns.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:16 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Seamus is spot on. The length of a spring when you remove it means nothing.

Actually it DOES mean something.

It means the pre-load of the compressed spring is less.

Take a new spring 10 inches long, assemble it into a mechanism to a compressed length of 9 inches, you will get a preload based on the pounds-per-inch force rate of the spring.

Take that spring off 10 years later, find out it's relaxed length is only 9 1/2 inches long, reassemble it into that mechanism, you have only 1/2" of the same preload, not 1 inch of it.

If the spring had a rate of 20 pounds per inch, you get a preload of 20 pounds from the new spring, but only 10 pounds on the set spring.

This is the way ALL pre-loaded coil springs work, from valve closure springs in my jet boat's 454 (400 pounds/inch rate, preload height set to 170 pounds closure force, valve lift .56"), the brake springs on a motor I overhaul at work (if they are relaxed below 1.25 inches, they are junk per the vendor manual), the drive springs I used to have to check/replace in M60's 20 years ago (under 24 inches, replaced), the springs at the core of both my motorcycle's fork assemblies, to the springs in both my Auto 5 and Model 11 Remmy.

Find ANY car or truck with coil spring suspension that has "sagged".
Pull the spring out and stand it up next to it's replacement, it will be shorter.
The car "sags" because of the lower preload of the shortened "set" spring.

I see this "old wive's tale" all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:01 pm 
Utility Grade

I have had a similar issue, but to add to it the bottom right side of my forearm would blow out and away from the receiver. I did see that the gas ports were pretty dirty so i cleaned everything. When I went out for a test run it cycled fine but noticed that the forearm was still being blown away from where it meets the receiver. Something is telling me that I still have a gas issue. If anyone has seen that I would love to hear what I have to do to fix it before turkey season gets here.

Have a great day

JB