ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:28 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

It has finally been shipped. What I requested was a 26 inch walnut, what was shipped was a 28 inch black synthetic. :? The synthetic models were the first to arrive, the walnut models are following in about two weeks.

It has been a long time since I've had a new 20 gauge autoloader to go through, so I'm really looking forward to it.

http://randywakeman.com/

Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:40 am 
Limited Edition

I've never heard of these Randy. Look forward to your review!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:11 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yep, looking forward to it. I picked up a 12 gauge in a store and didn't much care for the sharp edges on the forearm. Curious to know if they're as pronounced on the 20

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:10 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

It is the same gun, same action, same Inertia-Plus bolt, same push-button release trigger group . . . scaled down into a 20 gauge.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Glad to see that your review is coming soon! Based on how impressed I am with my 12 gauge Masai Mara, I am confident that I will "need" a 20 to go with it.

NRA Life Member

"Profanity is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcefully"--author unknown
"This is a big f__king deal!"--Vice President Joe Biden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:11 am 
Crown Grade

I just got off the phone with Retay USA. There is a reason for Mr Wakeman not producing a report as of yet. According to the person I talked to this morning, Retay USA is just now receiving their first shipment of 20 GA Semi-auto shotguns. I would guess that Mr. Wakeman will have one in hand within a week or two. I am in the market for a 20 GA Semi-auto shogun for my bride and the Retay Masai Mara is one of interest.

Retired

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:12 am 
Crown Grade

Can’t wait! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:22 am 
Crown Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
Can’t wait! :roll:

Retired

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:25 am 
Diamond Grade

That’s good stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:09 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

osok1 wrote:
Glad to see that your review is coming soon! Based on how impressed I am with my 12 gauge Masai Mara, I am confident that I will "need" a 20 to go with it.

I've mentioned this before: I never thought I'd be saying this, but the six most desirable 20 gauge repeaters in my book are all discontinued or out of production at the moment. This is quite a shame, as 20 gauge ammunition has never been better. Actually, my favorite eight 20 gauge repeaters are all out of production, adding in the Browning B2000 and the Beretta 390. I do have high hopes for the Retay Masai Mara 20 gauge, I've shot a prototype, but the final article won't we arriving in the U.S. until the end of September. 2020, or early October.

Apparently, covid has slowed customs, and so forth. The last I've heard was from 9/14: The first shipment is one a boat scheduled to land in Baltimore on 9/23. The entire first shipment will begin shipping as soon as we can get it to the warehouse which should be no later than the end of September.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:05 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
osok1 wrote:

I've mentioned this before: I never thought I'd be saying this, but the six most desirable 20 gauge repeaters in my book are all discontinued or out of production at the moment. This is quite a shame, as 20 gauge ammunition has never been better. Actually, my favorite eight 20 gauge repeaters are all out of production, adding in the Browning B2000 and the Beretta 390. I do have high hopes for the Retay Masai Mara 20 gauge, I've shot a prototype, but the final article won't we arriving in the U.S. until the end of September. 2020, or early October.

Apparently, covid has slowed customs, and so forth. The last I've heard was from 9/14: The first shipment is one a boat scheduled to land in Baltimore on 9/23. The entire first shipment will begin shipping as soon as we can get it to the warehouse which should be no later than the end of September.
According to Jesse (@ Retay USA) the shipment is in the warehouse as of this morning.

Retired

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:15 am 
Diamond Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:

I've mentioned this before: I never thought I'd be saying this, but the six most desirable 20 gauge repeaters in my book are all discontinued or out of production at the moment. This is quite a shame, as 20 gauge ammunition has never been better.

I have a pair of favorite 20ga. semi-autos (the Franchi 48 AL and Beretta AL391 Urika) but am always on the lookout for an excuse to buy a new shotgun. The 20ga. V3 never got a chance to materialize. The Retay looks like my next consideration.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:15 pm 
Field Grade

I keep my eyes open for any Auto 5 20ga. I know Randy prefers the 3" magnum, but I'd be happy with even the 2 3/4". Then again, I keep reading these 16 ga threads and I'm like...I've never even shot a 16 ga. Maybe I should dive down that rabbit hole - of course, it'd be a Sweet 16.

That said, I'm looking forward to the review Randy. Any new 20ga in my future will likely be a O/U; but I always keep my eye open for the old Brownings since the Browning Silvers don't seem to get much love. Hopefully this new Masai Mara will be a nice gun because 20 is a great upland gun and like you said..the good ones have been discontinued.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:06 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

desmobob wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:

I've mentioned this before: I never thought I'd be saying this, but the six most desirable 20 gauge repeaters in my book are all discontinued or out of production at the moment. This is quite a shame, as 20 gauge ammunition has never been better.

I have a pair of favorite 20ga. semi-autos (the Franchi 48 AL and Beretta AL391 Urika) but am always on the lookout for an excuse to buy a new shotgun. The 20ga. V3 never got a chance to materialize. The Retay looks like my next consideration.

Who knows, there actually may be a V3 20 gauge after all. The V3 is Ilion product and the 20 gauge is a long way along, though 2020 seems like the earliest possible general release. I've carped and whined about the lack of new 20 gauge semi-autos for a long time: Maxus, Vinci, A5, V3, L4S, and so it goes . . . all ignored in 20 gauge.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:10 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
desmobob wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:

Who knows, there actually may be a V3 20 gauge after all. The V3 is Ilion product and the 20 gauge is a long way along, though 2020 seems like the earliest possible general release. I've carped and whined about the lack of new 20 gauge semi-autos for a long time: Maxus, Vinci, A5, V3, L4S, and so it goes . . . all ignored in 20 gauge.

If the demand is there they will build it. But like you pointed out before, the investment to retool/design is prohibitive unless you are certain that there is enough demand. For some companies that are not as profitable; it is simply impossible.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:34 am 
Crown Grade

Kind of a hijack of this thread with the Remington talk, but it`ll be interesting to watch the roll out and development of the " new " Remington Arms. JMHO, but the initial marketing campaign will be very interesting. I think oyeme`s comments are accurate, but a walnut stocked 20 gauge V3? Who knows? It`s a small sample, but there have been more than a couple of posters on SW who`ve said they`d be in line for one.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:44 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Tidefanatic wrote:
Kind of a hijack of this thread

The difference is that the Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge is available now, while the V3 20 gauge is vaporware.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:40 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:

The difference is that the Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge is available now, while the V3 20 gauge is vaporware.

Indeed so. Hope the good folks in Ilion will be back at work full force soon.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:55 pm 
Limited Edition

RandyWakeman wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:

By "available now" you mean 5 months and still hasn't shown up.