ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Image



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:28 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 26751
Location: Plainfield, IL
It has finally been shipped. What I requested was a 26 inch walnut, what was shipped was a 28 inch black synthetic. :? The synthetic models were the first to arrive, the walnut models are following in about two weeks.

It has been a long time since I've had a new 20 gauge autoloader to go through, so I'm really looking forward to it.



_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:40 am 
Limited Edition

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:05 am
Posts: 330
I've never heard of these Randy. Look forward to your review!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:11 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 26751
Location: Plainfield, IL

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:43 pm
Posts: 631
Location: Tennessee
Yep, looking forward to it. I picked up a 12 gauge in a store and didn't much care for the sharp edges on the forearm. Curious to know if they're as pronounced on the 20

_________________
JESUS SAVES


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:10 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 26751
Location: Plainfield, IL
It is the same gun, same action, same Inertia-Plus bolt, same push-button release trigger group . . . scaled down into a 20 gauge.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:48 am
Posts: 1894
Location: South Carolina
Glad to see that your review is coming soon! Based on how impressed I am with my 12 gauge Masai Mara, I am confident that I will "need" a 20 to go with it.

_________________
http://www.boykinspaniel.org
http://www.boykinrescue.org

NRA Life Member

"Profanity is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcefully"--author unknown
"This is a big f__king deal!"--Vice President Joe Biden


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:11 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:49 pm
Posts: 3699
Location: Mormon Mecca
I just got off the phone with Retay USA. There is a reason for Mr Wakeman not producing a report as of yet. According to the person I talked to this morning, Retay USA is just now receiving their first shipment of 20 GA Semi-auto shotguns. I would guess that Mr. Wakeman will have one in hand within a week or two. I am in the market for a 20 GA Semi-auto shogun for my bride and the Retay Masai Mara is one of interest.

_________________
Bob Hicks, from Mormon Mecca
I’m 78 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”
Image
Retired


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:12 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:46 am
Posts: 8390
Location: Colorado Springs, Co
Can’t wait! :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:22 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:49 pm
Posts: 3699
Location: Mormon Mecca
Dr Duk wrote:
Can’t wait! :roll:

Image

_________________
Bob Hicks, from Mormon Mecca
I’m 78 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”
Image
Retired


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:25 am 
Diamond Grade
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:58 am
Posts: 1723
Location: Omaha, NE
That’s good stuff!

_________________
“With age comes wisdom but sometimes age comes alone.”
-Oscar Wilde


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:09 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 26751
Location: Plainfield, IL
osok1 wrote:
Glad to see that your review is coming soon! Based on how impressed I am with my 12 gauge Masai Mara, I am confident that I will "need" a 20 to go with it.


I've mentioned this before: I never thought I'd be saying this, but the six most desirable 20 gauge repeaters in my book are all discontinued or out of production at the moment. This is quite a shame, as 20 gauge ammunition has never been better. Actually, my favorite eight 20 gauge repeaters are all out of production, adding in the Browning B2000 and the Beretta 390. I do have high hopes for the Retay Masai Mara 20 gauge, I've shot a prototype, but the final article won't we arriving in the U.S. until the end of September. 2020, or early October.

Apparently, covid has slowed customs, and so forth. The last I've heard was from 9/14: The first shipment is one a boat scheduled to land in Baltimore on 9/23. The entire first shipment will begin shipping as soon as we can get it to the warehouse which should be no later than the end of September.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:05 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:49 pm
Posts: 3699
Location: Mormon Mecca
RandyWakeman wrote:
osok1 wrote:
Glad to see that your review is coming soon! Based on how impressed I am with my 12 gauge Masai Mara, I am confident that I will "need" a 20 to go with it.


I've mentioned this before: I never thought I'd be saying this, but the six most desirable 20 gauge repeaters in my book are all discontinued or out of production at the moment. This is quite a shame, as 20 gauge ammunition has never been better. Actually, my favorite eight 20 gauge repeaters are all out of production, adding in the Browning B2000 and the Beretta 390. I do have high hopes for the Retay Masai Mara 20 gauge, I've shot a prototype, but the final article won't we arriving in the U.S. until the end of September. 2020, or early October.

Apparently, covid has slowed customs, and so forth. The last I've heard was from 9/14: The first shipment is one a boat scheduled to land in Baltimore on 9/23. The entire first shipment will begin shipping as soon as we can get it to the warehouse which should be no later than the end of September.
According to Jesse (@ Retay USA) the shipment is in the warehouse as of this morning.

_________________
Bob Hicks, from Mormon Mecca
I’m 78 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”
Image
Retired


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:15 am 
Diamond Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:04 pm
Posts: 1396
Location: Upstate NY
RandyWakeman wrote:

I've mentioned this before: I never thought I'd be saying this, but the six most desirable 20 gauge repeaters in my book are all discontinued or out of production at the moment. This is quite a shame, as 20 gauge ammunition has never been better.


I have a pair of favorite 20ga. semi-autos (the Franchi 48 AL and Beretta AL391 Urika) but am always on the lookout for an excuse to buy a new shotgun. The 20ga. V3 never got a chance to materialize. The Retay looks like my next consideration.

_________________
"The freaks can't be normally formalized, nor can we be formally normalized. What we want is complete weirdification."
KD2TTM
Member: NRA, New York Rifle and Pistol Association


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:15 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:31 pm
Posts: 42
I keep my eyes open for any Auto 5 20ga. I know Randy prefers the 3" magnum, but I'd be happy with even the 2 3/4". Then again, I keep reading these 16 ga threads and I'm like...I've never even shot a 16 ga. Maybe I should dive down that rabbit hole - of course, it'd be a Sweet 16.

That said, I'm looking forward to the review Randy. Any new 20ga in my future will likely be a O/U; but I always keep my eye open for the old Brownings since the Browning Silvers don't seem to get much love. Hopefully this new Masai Mara will be a nice gun because 20 is a great upland gun and like you said..the good ones have been discontinued.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:06 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 26751
Location: Plainfield, IL
desmobob wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:

I've mentioned this before: I never thought I'd be saying this, but the six most desirable 20 gauge repeaters in my book are all discontinued or out of production at the moment. This is quite a shame, as 20 gauge ammunition has never been better.


I have a pair of favorite 20ga. semi-autos (the Franchi 48 AL and Beretta AL391 Urika) but am always on the lookout for an excuse to buy a new shotgun. The 20ga. V3 never got a chance to materialize. The Retay looks like my next consideration.


Who knows, there actually may be a V3 20 gauge after all. The V3 is Ilion product and the 20 gauge is a long way along, though 2020 seems like the earliest possible general release. I've carped and whined about the lack of new 20 gauge semi-autos for a long time: Maxus, Vinci, A5, V3, L4S, and so it goes . . . all ignored in 20 gauge.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:10 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:11 am
Posts: 4205
Location: Western Tampa, FL
RandyWakeman wrote:
desmobob wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:

I've mentioned this before: I never thought I'd be saying this, but the six most desirable 20 gauge repeaters in my book are all discontinued or out of production at the moment. This is quite a shame, as 20 gauge ammunition has never been better.


I have a pair of favorite 20ga. semi-autos (the Franchi 48 AL and Beretta AL391 Urika) but am always on the lookout for an excuse to buy a new shotgun. The 20ga. V3 never got a chance to materialize. The Retay looks like my next consideration.


Who knows, there actually may be a V3 20 gauge after all. The V3 is Ilion product and the 20 gauge is a long way along, though 2020 seems like the earliest possible general release. I've carped and whined about the lack of new 20 gauge semi-autos for a long time: Maxus, Vinci, A5, V3, L4S, and so it goes . . . all ignored in 20 gauge.


If the demand is there they will build it. But like you pointed out before, the investment to retool/design is prohibitive unless you are certain that there is enough demand. For some companies that are not as profitable; it is simply impossible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:34 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:04 am
Posts: 2828
Kind of a hijack of this thread with the Remington talk, but it`ll be interesting to watch the roll out and development of the " new " Remington Arms. JMHO, but the initial marketing campaign will be very interesting. I think oyeme`s comments are accurate, but a walnut stocked 20 gauge V3? Who knows? It`s a small sample, but there have been more than a couple of posters on SW who`ve said they`d be in line for one.

_________________
Fabarm L4S Initial Hunter
Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:44 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 26751
Location: Plainfield, IL
Tidefanatic wrote:
Kind of a hijack of this thread


The difference is that the Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge is available now, while the V3 20 gauge is vaporware.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:04 am
Posts: 2828
RandyWakeman wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
Kind of a hijack of this thread


The difference is that the Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge is available now, while the V3 20 gauge is vaporware.


Indeed so. Hope the good folks in Ilion will be back at work full force soon.

_________________
Fabarm L4S Initial Hunter
Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:55 pm 
Limited Edition

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:16 pm
Posts: 368
Location: Escanaba, MI
RandyWakeman wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
Kind of a hijack of this thread


The difference is that the Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge is available now, while the V3 20 gauge is vaporware.


By "available now" you mean 5 months and still hasn't shown up.




Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: bbush, Bing [Bot], cheecho1960, delaware_export, George Z, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], popcorn09, saddlerocker, Skewdog, Stuck-N-Kali, Waldyo


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice