ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:08 am 
Limited Edition

No way I would buy a grade 4 gun sight unseen. You're paying for the wood, you should get to pick it out.
I would wait and find a seller that will show pics of the actual gun.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:54 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Comparatively few autoloading shotguns are offered with high grade walnut at all. Many are not offered with authentic walnut, period. For some, it is either plastic or fake (a.k.a. 'enhanced') cratewood. Anyone can consider a Browning Maxus Ultimate ($1,979.99) or an A5 Hunter High Grade ($1899.99 MSRP). Does someone here think those models come with truly high grade walnut? Yet, neither the Maxus or the A5 is offered in 20 gauge in any configuration at any price.

Regardless, if you're waiting for your local F&F to have assorted high grade shotguns in stock for you to finger, you're going to be waiting. It is all about the wood, not the model. It is not possible for anyone to know what model they want, what gauge, what barrel length, etc., so stocking Grade 4 models makes no sense.

The easy solution is to order the wood directly from Retay USA.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:26 pm 
Field Grade

Picked up my extra black and brought home to find the cylinder choke damaged, dented from the factory. Whoever decided it was a good idea to wrap stickers around every choke should be punished.
Disappointed in QC.
Taking out to shoot skeet tomorrow hopefully that will not disappoint as well.

Spoke to Retay Customer service this morning they are sending new choke, very happy with quick response.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by 47MolineRTU on Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:16 pm 
Field Grade

Shot 3 rounds of skeet(75 rounds) without any issues except the charging handle popping out, but was my fault as I was pushing it flush with the bolt were the detent is about a 1/4 inch out from flush with the bolt, once I made sure it was in the detent no further issues. Anyone else's charging handle seem too long? Almost like I have a 12ga bolt handle?
Recoil was negligible, seemed to swing well.
The flashing on synthetic stock will need sanded as there is a lip around the forearm and buttstock.
Took completely apart to clean and sprayed out the trigger group and decocked / recocked hammer and it was really gritty, so took the trigger group apart. The main hammer spring channel has a covering of grit on the bottom, scraped clean with a punch, then used a qtip to get it the rest of the way clean.
Retay is sending me parts to fix the charging handle as well so their customer service really stepped up to make it right.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:52 am 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman have you pulled apart your trigger group? I am curious if your hammer spring channel is/ was full of grit too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:35 pm 
Field Grade

New choke and bolt arrived today very quick turnaround. The new charging handle is shorter than the original.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:41 pm 
Field Grade

Can’t beat that for customer service!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:31 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

47MolineRTU wrote:
RandyWakeman have you pulled apart your trigger group? I am curious if your hammer spring channel is/ was full of grit too.

All of the Masai Mara triggers I've tested have been excellent. The Gordion triggers, not so much for some reason. The Gordion got a trigger job, the MM's are superb right out of the box. I've complained about the Gordion triggers, but there has been no answer. It is odd as both trigger assemblies are machined alloy, not plastic with pinned-in parts. Then again, I'm more picky about triggers than many. The normal six pound sloppy Browning triggers, for example, are okay to a lot of people.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:59 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
47MolineRTU wrote:

All of the Masai Mara triggers I've tested have been excellent. The Gordion triggers, not so much for some reason. The Gordion got a trigger job, the MM's are superb right out of the box.

The trigger pull is great, the hammer movement was gritty, manually decocking and recocking the hammer felt like it was full of sand. I removed the hammer from the trigger group and the pocket the hammer spring is in had a coating of either casting sand or metal filings.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:05 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

That, I haven't experienced, but I haven't seen a crease in the side of a choke tube, either. I've not spoken with Chris Handy, the CEO of Retay USA for a very long time, but I do know they are committed to very quick, responsive, no-hassle customer service.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

I decided to get one. Going for the 20/26 in Bottomland. I noticed they just became available in Bottomland. I love the idea of the two piece receiver, quick release trigger and the fact that it accepts m2 chokes. I already have an old m2 and newer Monte in 20ga. So I won’t have to buy any more turkey, upland and waterfowl chokes, that’s a big deal for me.

I am not as enthusiastic about the 12gauge. Not sure I need another recoil operated 12ga. I switched to gas autos a few years ago on the 12’s and have been very happy. Definitely more time consuming to clean but it’s only an extra 10-15 minutes and my shoulder and neck thank me. But I am a never say never kind of person, so depending on how impressed I am by the 20 I may look at the 12. Not the Air King, too heavy for me. I typically hunt in waste deep water and hold my gun most of the time. A few ounces can make a big difference to me over a few hours.

Going to wait until after the first of the year because I just bought a V3 before Remington went out of business (I realize it a 12 gauge). The V3 is a little on the heavy side and I gave my versa max wfp to my nephew. No king air for me but I read the Masai Mara 12 is only 7lbs. If it’s a soft shooter, maybe?

My next gun purchase has already been decided... Going Retay 20/26. Thank you everyone and keep the reviews coming.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:49 pm 
Field Grade

Put 50 rounds through mine today with the new bolt and charging handle, 28 degrees out and no issues.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:30 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Retay 20 gauge walnut stock sets:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:49 am 
Limited Edition

I would be all over any of those.
Randy do you know how much those sets cost ?
Does a grade 4 come with that type wood ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:50 am 
Crown Grade

Gorgeous! More suited to those folks with deeper pockets than mine.
But I'm lusting after them even so! :lol: {hs# :D

Retired

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:52 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Those are Retay Grade 4 20 gauge sets. Can you guess which one I went with?

Call Retay USA if you want to order a set for yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

#5, Randy. That would be my pick

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:33 pm 
Limited Edition

casonet wrote:

Mine too .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:43 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

casonet wrote:

Bingo, we have a winner. {hs#

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:24 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next