ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Retay 20 gauge walnut stock sets:

I like the #7 stock but not the forearm,so I would have picked #5 as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:43 pm 
Crown Grade

I’d vote for 7, but then I’d have to buy a gun for it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Randy, is this gun going to replace your favorite M2?

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:56 pm 
Field Grade

What model and finish are you putting the grade 4 stocks on, Randy? If I may ask.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:45 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The shotgun in the video is my gun, it has already been shipped, it is a Masai Mara 20 gauge Jet Black with a 26 inch barrel.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:33 am 
Field Grade

Very nice! Great choice!
Thanks, Randy..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:43 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Actually, the standard run-of-the-mill Retay 20 gauge walnut is quite nice, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Some think the grade 4 is too nice to hunt with, but of course I'll hunt with it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:57 pm 
Field Grade

Put another 50 rounds through my Extra Black, no issues, skeet hit 23 first round 20 second 38 degrees out today. last week tried adjusting drop to max b shims and did not do well, this week with the w shims seemed to fit much better

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:08 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:10 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Twodog wrote:
I decided to get one. Going for the 20/26 in Bottomland. I noticed they just became available in Bottomland. I love the idea of the two piece receiver, quick release trigger and the fact that it accepts m2 chokes. I already have an old m2 and newer Monte in 20ga. So I won’t have to buy any more turkey, upland and waterfowl chokes, that’s a big deal for me.

My next gun purchase has already been decided... Going Retay 20/26. Thank you everyone and keep the reviews coming.

It has been many, many years since I have tested a truly excellent 20 gauge autoloader. I'm happy to say that the long drought is finally over.

One of the rarely mentioned benefits of the quick-detachable trigger guard is aesthetic. Look at most semi-auto receivers, and you'll see two or four plugged holes, one or two on each side. There is nothing attractive about plugged holes on the side of a receiver, used as the trigger groups are pinned in. No such unsightly holes exist on a Masai Mara . . . it is a very clean looking, pinless trigger group.

Shims are included. As with the camo MM 20 gauge, I needed the 60mm shim set as there wasn't enough drop for me as supplied. Although the Retay manual tells you to use two shims at the receiver and one in the buttstock,that isn't necessary. The plastic shim marked "cast shim" measured .0034 inch on one side and .0025 inch on the other. If you think .0009 inch means something, you can install it, but the cast comes primarily from the metal shim in the buttstock, so I didn't bother with Part #7 "cast shim" as shown on page 20 of the manual. If you do use this shim that I consider optional, it will increase the length of pull by just over two thousandths of an inch.

The MM 20 gauge is very easy and smooth to load, and thanks to the Retay Inertia Plus action, it is the most reliable inertia gun out there. The Retay engineers thought of most everything, for even if the Inertia Plus spring theoretically failed (which it won't) the shotgun is still completely functional. Thanks to the all-steel upper receiver of the Masai Mara, the gun is supremely well-balanced.

The Masai Mara 20 gauge walnut is the best 20 gauge autoloader on the market. It is great looking, low maintenance, soft shooting, shim-adjustable, has no Benelli-click, is very easy loading, and is dead-nuts reliable out of the box with anything from 7/8 oz. 1200 fps loads on up, with no adjustments. It also has a crisp, light trigger and all metal build quality. The rib is carefully silver-soldered on, the same method used by Perazzi. That makes it the 2020 Shotgun of the Year quite handily. For those who want camo, the camo editions eliminate any external lubrication and add another Retay exclusive feature: speed unloading that works extremely well.

Oil-finished walnut or camo, it is your choice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:19 am 
Tournament Grade

#1 for me, I love light wood with dark streaks. A word of caution when ordering the Retay guns online. The photo they show you in the listing is not normally the gun you get. They will usually show killer good looking wood in their stock photos. Ask before you buy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:59 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

myshootinstinks wrote:
#1 for me, I love light wood with dark streaks. A word of caution when ordering the Retay guns online. The photo they show you in the listing is not normally the gun you get. They will usually show killer good looking wood in their stock photos. Ask before you buy.

That the dealer that does it, not Retay. You're not going to get Grade 4 wood unless you ask for it. In that case, you pick the wood direct from Retay, or buy the wood alone if you wish.

Above is the random standard grade 2 stock set that came with the gun. Stock sets vary, of course.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:30 pm 
Limited Edition

It’s a shame they screw sling studs into those nice stocks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
myshootinstinks wrote:

That the dealer that does it, not Retay. You're not going to get Grade 4 wood unless you ask for it. In that case, you pick the wood direct from Retay, or buy the wood alone if you wish.

Above is the random standard grade 2 stock set that came with the gun. Stock sets vary, of course.

Yes, correct. I didn’t mean to say that Retay misrepresented anything. So, the process is to order a gun directly from Retay-US and they will ship to a local FFL?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:52 pm 
Field Grade

Just to clarify, you have to order from a Retay dealer. I'm a new dealer for Retay, so far they are doing a great job considering how busy they are. I've seen some amazing customer service. Literally same day shipping for a customer getting a Christmas present for their girlfriend. I currently have 2 comfort 20ga 26" guns and an Air King, beautiful guns. One 20ga I'm keeping for myself. :) and the others are listed in the classifieds. I can order any gun or wood if it is in stock. I can't give you a review thus far on how Retays perform but that is coming. Like Randy.. I'm happy to see another company getting into the market offering a gun based on competent suggestions. I've enjoyed the thread... happy to give you a price on a gun, just PM me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:08 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

DKW1 wrote:

I tested my first Retay over 3-1/2 years ago, a walnut Masai Mara. At the time, I wrote: My test model lacks the Masai Mara “wildebeest” logos on both sides of the receiver, and sling studs are installed . . . not what I'm looking for in an upland model, but more appropriate in duck gun trim. My understanding is that the imported models will have slings [sling studs] included, but not installed on the walnut models. I personally couldn't agree with you more.

Although this is my first 20 gauge walnut, I have tested several 3 inch walnut Masai Mara's and one 12 gauge walnut Gordion. In all this time, no one that I recall (until now) has mentioned the sling stud unfavorably. I also carped, "I feel the safety could be more generously sized, and another niggle is that the front red “fiber-optic” bead is too big: I'd prefer a smaller brass bead." They did go with smaller front beads. I make candid comments, but they don't necessarily get acted upon. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:20 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

myshootinstinks wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
myshootinstinks wrote:

Yes, correct. I didn’t mean to say that Retay misrepresented anything. So, the process is to order a gun directly from Retay-US and they will ship to a local FFL?

Yes, as sclagg mentioned, they are sold through dealers: https://www.retayusa.com/dealers .
As far as the wood goes, it is the same as buying any other shotgun. If the dealer can't be bothered to send you a picture of exactly what he is selling, you hardly need to bother buying from that dealer.

If you are buying a basic black or camo gun, you may not care if there is a picture available or not . . . most people don't.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:29 am 
Tournament Grade

DKW1 wrote:

Heck I don’t know, it doesn’t bother me. Anyone that has hunted chukar will appreciate a sling. :s

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:05 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

When Browning released their new A5, the first gun they sent to me . . . had a sling stud. That was back in 2012 and here it is:

Of course I asked Browning what the deal was, as you still could not attach a sling to the A5 forearm cap. Browning claimed it was a "mistake." It was only a mistake for the U.S. market, for Euro Browning takes a different approach.

Hunting guns in Europe often have sling provisions. It is very common in Germany, Russia, France, and Turkey. Hunting guns have sling studs, target guns do not.

I used a walnut Masai Mara to go up in the mountains and hunt wild boar in Turkey. It had and I used a sling. Smoothbore slug hunting is very common in Europe with walnut guns, and so are slings.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:53 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:

Mr Wakeman - I am going to order a Grade 4, and I am wondering exactly how it works when you do that. You mention working directly with Retay. Will the dealer facilitate that interaction? I could also go with a Grade 2 and order the Grade 4 wood separately if that is the way to do it. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated, sir.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next