ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:30 am 
Field Grade

I need another 20ga. auto loader like another hole in my head! BUT... This Retay Masai Mara has my total attention! Considering the 26” Satin or Comfort models. I’m not a huge fan of the camo finishes.
I have nowhere close to put my hands on one to shoulder the weapon or to compare the two finishes. I would be ordering one in a pig in the poke fashion!
Any thoughts or input on finishes would be deeply appreciated!
Is the Chrome gonna be too gaudy? The Satin more subtle? Hard thing to do, sight unseen!
I am a Benelli fanboy and have a couple 20’s. Curious to shoot this Retay!,
Thanks,
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Hognutz wrote:
I need another 20ga. auto loader like another hole in my head! BUT... This Retay Masai Mara has my total attention! Considering the 26” Satin or Comfort models. I’m not a huge fan of the camo finishes.
I have nowhere close to put my hands on one to shoulder the weapon or to compare the two finishes. I would be ordering one in a pig in the poke fashion!
Any thoughts or input on finishes would be deeply appreciated!
Is the Chrome gonna be too gaudy? The Satin more subtle? Hard thing to do, sight unseen!
I am a Benelli fanboy and have a couple 20’s. Curious to shoot this Retay!,
Thanks,
Mike
Mike,

I am expecting delivery today or tomorrow of the Satin version. Since it will on rare occasions be used for waterfowl hunting, I really didn't want a super shiny surface that comes with the COIN version. Also, camo was out because it will be my brides primary Skeet gun and that doesn't work for her - know what I mean? :D

And, the duller finish you get with a satin is more pleasing to both of us. I'll be posting a report on function along with pictures in a day or four. Stay tuned.

Retired

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:57 pm 
Field Grade

Bob..Thanks for your reply! I saw that you were getting the satin and am very interested in your opinion, once you get it. Both aesthetically and how it “feels”.
I am leaning towards the Satin and am excited for you and to hear from you how it stacks up!
Thanks, my Friend,
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

Bob...are you a reloader? I'm specifically interested in how your cool new Retay 20 will function with 3/4 oz. loads at 1200 to about 1250 fps. Don't know if you'll be shooting anything like that, but we're all anxiously awaiting your report regardless.

I'm not getting any younger and I have a couple of other shotgun "needs" higher on my budget priority list at the moment. But of the several great, classic, quality shotguns I've owned, I've never owned an inertia gun. I'm intrigued by the Retay action. The fact that I don't like cleaning gas actions increases my intrigue.

My use would be ninety-five percent fun clays and skeet, with the remainder some dove, rabbit, and squirrel. I'm not worried about cycling with 7/8 hunting loads, but for all my 20 ga. fun shooting (remember...95 %) I use 3/4 oz., in brass based compression hulls exclusively. All my current 20 ga. guns are fixed breach.

Congratulations on your new gun. Hope to maybe own one myself eventually. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Grouse Gunner wrote:
Bob...are you a reloader? I'm specifically interested in how your cool new Retay 20 will function with 3/4 oz. loads at 1200 to about 1250 fps. Don't know if you'll be shooting anything like that, but we're all anxiously awaiting your report regardless.

I'm not getting any younger and I have a couple of other shotgun "needs" higher on my budget priority list at the moment. But of the several great, classic, quality shotguns I've owned, I've never owned an inertia gun. I'm intrigued by the Retay action. The fact that I don't like cleaning gas actions increases my intrigue.

My use would be ninety-five percent fun clays and skeet, with the remainder some dove, rabbit, and squirrel. I'm not worried about cycling with 7/8 hunting loads, but for all my 20 ga. fun shooting (remember...95 %) I use 3/4 oz., in brass based compression hulls exclusively. All my current 20 ga. guns are fixed breach.

Congratulations on your new gun. Hope to maybe own one myself eventually. Enjoy!
I do reload; all four Skeet guns on a Spolar hydraulic. Unfortunately, I only load 7/8 oz, 1200 fps loads in 20 GA. If I want to shoot 3/4 oz loads I shoot my 28 GA Beretta SP1 O/U or 28 GA tubed Skeet gun. Never saw a need to load 3/4 in a 20 GA. I'll be very happy if my Spolar reloads will chamber in the Retay without running them through a MEC resizer first.

Retired

Post subject: My Retay Masai Mara 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:32 am 
Crown Grade

It arrived yesterday and my bride and I each shot one round of Skeet with it. Neither of us ran the round, but we were both in the 20s. :D Not to shabby with a gun neither of us had ever fired before. She pre-mounted and I shot low gun.

First observation is this. I load all me reloads on a Spolar. All my reloads in all 4 Skeet guns will fit in to all 3 tube sets on both our normal Skeet guns - Beretta 682 Gold E w/ Briley tubes. No problems at all with either the tube sets or 12 GA barrels.

My 28 GA reloads did not fit in my 28 GA Benelli Legacy and will not fit in my 28 GA Beretta 686 SP1. My 20 GA reloads will not fit in this Retay Masai Mara but do fit in my 1965, Japanese made Ithaca/SKB 20 GA. If I want to shoot my reloads in this Retay (and I most certainly do want to), then I will have to run them through a MEC resizer before using them in the Retay. Life can be a real PITA sometimes. :(

Here are some pictures of the gun and case. I'll start with the wood. The wood character is nothing to write home about. Very plain in overall appearance. Finish appears to be oil.
Attachment:
20201120_083532.jpg

Attachment:
20201120_083725.jpg
Attachment:
20201120_083816.jpg

To be continued below. :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:37 am 
Crown Grade

More wood pictures.
Attachment:
20201120_083909.jpg

Attachment:
20201120_083922.jpg

Attachment:
20201120_084400.jpg

To be continued below.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:40 am 
Crown Grade

Recoil pad.
Attachment:
20201120_084435.jpg

Attachment:
20201120_084458.jpg

To be continued below.

Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:43 am 
Crown Grade

Receiver pictures.
Attachment:
20201120_083750.jpg

Attachment:
20201120_083801.jpg

Attachment:
20201120_083845.jpg

To be continued below.

Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:52 am 
Crown Grade

Case pictures.
Company name and a cutout for the bolt handle cover to rest in.
Attachment:
20201120_084045.jpg

Owners manual cutout with manual showing.
Attachment:
20201120_084055.jpg

5 choke tube slots, choke tube wrench slot, and shims, sling swivels, and bolt handle cover slot.
Attachment:
20201120_084142.jpg

To be continued below.

Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:12 pm 
Crown Grade

More case pictures.
Attachment:
20201120_084208.jpg

Attachment:
20201120_084244.jpg

Comes with a 5-Year warranty that is spelled out in the Owners Manual.
Attachment:
20201120_084313.jpg

That's all the pictures for today boys & girls.

The 5 chokes that come with it are marked "F", "IM", "M", "IC", & "CYL". We used the "CYL" choke to shoot Skeet with but I would use either the "IC" or "M" choke for Sporting Clays. I would probably use "IC" for pen raised upland and waterfowl. Might go with "M" for late season wild birds.

My bride was very comfortable shooting it and said the recoil was not noticeable to her. She uses a strap-on PAST recoil pad. The recoil for me was not harsh at all using factory Winchester Skeet loads. I'll try some 3", Heavy Metal loads for waterfowl shortly and report back on function and recoil. The character of the wood was a little disappointing; I was hoping for a little better. But I didn't buy it for the wood. :wink:

I'm fairly certain this gun is a keeper. I'm of the opinion that it is fairly priced for the quality I've seen thus far. I think you should definitely include this model in your considerations if you are looking to buy a 20 GA SA Shotgun anytime soon. They are already in the hands of a few dealers across the country and will more than likely be showing up in more by next spring.

Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:46 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Hello Bob,

Have you weighed the gun and measured the trigger?

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:50 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Hello Bob,

Have you weighed the gun and measured the trigger?
The gun (empty) weighs 6:3.00 on my kitchen digital scale. I have no means to measure the trigger, but it is lighter than my Browning Maxus from feel.

Also, I ran some once fired empties and some 9 time loaded rounds through the MEC resizer and all now slip in and out of the chamber with ease.

Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:45 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the excellent review, Bob! Your attention to detail was outstanding! Great pics, as well!
Now I’ve got to make a few decisions..
I appreciate this, big time!
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:16 am 
Presentation Grade

Will the stock shims allow for “Cast-on” for those of us who are left-handed?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:17 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

USAFA71 wrote:
Will the stock shims allow for “Cast-on” for those of us who are left-handed?

Yes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:37 am 
Field Grade

Bob.. Is that wood the grade 2 version? If so, it sure is plain Jane compared to the picture on Retay USA! It’s not even close! It almost looks like popple or aspen!, To me, the wood is an essential part of buying a non camo gun. With all due respect, that wood is a major turn off for me! I realize that it’s a tool but to me, the wood is a major reason why I’m not a camo fan.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:20 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Although pictures can be misleading, the walnut on that example seems to be extremely plain. As you can see from the Retay USA website, https://www.retayusa.com/upland , the current images do not show high grade wood. The default is now their Grade II. The most recent walnut Retay that I've tested was a Gordion 12 gauge.

The stock is nicely done, the forearm and buttstock is evenly balanced in color and tone, but it isn't high grade walnut, nor is it supposed to be. The drool-worthy walnut sets are available, but you need to order a Grade 4 Retay to get them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Hognutz wrote:
Bob.. Is that wood the grade 2 version? If so, it sure is plain Jane compared to the picture on Retay USA! It’s not even close! It almost looks like popple or aspen!, To me, the wood is an essential part of buying a non camo gun. With all due respect, that wood is a major turn off for me! I realize that it’s a tool but to me, the wood is a major reason why I’m not a camo fan.
The wood is indeed the Grade 2 version. The Grade 4 is $600 more at MSRP. I appreciate fine wood as much as anyone, but I'm not willing to spend that much more for furniture that will not impact the functionality of the firearm. Getting real wood with beautiful grain (character) will always come at a premium cost. If the Masai Mara were selling for $3,500 instead of $1,250, I would definitely expect the wood to have some character. But generally speaking, I feel guns in this price bracket will almost never be anything but 'plain Jane'. And ordering it on-line eliminates any chance to choose better wood if indeed there is any available. To us, on a limited budget, firearms are nothing but a tool used to break clay targets. We bought the functionality that our budget would allow and picked the plain Jane wood over camo as the better looking option for us. I wish you 'Good Luck' in finding better looking wood in this price bracket.
:B3

Retired

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:03 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen!. I really think I’m going to own one of these shotguns and am more than likely not going with a grade 4. I guess I was a little shocked at the difference between the Retay pic and your pics. I prefer wood but I guess I’ll just have to figure out which way I’m going to go!
Again, thanks for your most valuable input. It helped a great deal!
Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next