ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shot weight confusion
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Is shot weight as listed in various ammos the amount of propellant or the literal weight of shot (pellets/BBs) in the shell?

Confused because I had it in my head it was the propellant and that's what causes the cycling action for a semi-automatic? My manual states a need for at least 1&1/8th, yet in looking through buying some cheaper target shot for practice, I noticed muzzle velocities lower for heavier shot loads, which seems to conflict the idea of there be more propellant. Thinking I got my head turned around and it's the weight of the shot, not propellant. Is it weight against some sort of spring action in the weapon that's loading the next shell then, not gas pressure?

Last edited by neulago on Sat May 09, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Shot weight confusion
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:26 pm 

The weight listed on the box and the shell of new ammo is indeed the weight of the load of shot that is sent down the barrel.
There are several types of mechanisms present in self loading guns. Apparently you don't know what type you have. Furnish the brand and model of your gun and someone will probably help you with more information.
I have also moved this subject to a more busy section.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you for your help, I'm sorry for being dense. You (likely wholly unintentionally) shamed me into not knowing a greater amount about my own weapon and I attempted to find the answer I was seeking on my own, but am still coming up short. Consequently any further insight would be greatly appreciated, I hope I'm not committing any faux pas, I'm a new gun owner and beyond (possibly including) Cooper's rules probably in need of a great deal of correction/guidance.

I have an SRM-1216. The manual states:

"The firearm operates on a roller delayed blowback principal. When the trigger is pulled and a shell is fired, the force of the shell drives the bolt and carrier rearwards. This movement is delayed by the mechanical arrangement of the bolt until the pressure has dropped to a safe limit.

As the bolt travels rearward the fire shell is extracted and a new shell is released from the magazine onto the carrier for loading. Following recoil the bolt moves forward loading the next shell. After the last shell is fired the bolt locks in the rearmost position."

Attempting to understand better I found this YouTube video explanation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd8FrUe8fMM and this wikipedia link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowback_(firearms)#Roller-delayed

However, neither really clarifies to my head why the firearm would require a "heavier load" to cycle, specified amongst numerous reviewing sources as greater than 1&1/8th shot weight. I get now that it isn't the expansion of gas from a previously fired round loading the next shell (the gas merely pushes the bolt back, if I understand correctly, though not entirely unless there isn't another shell to load).

What I don't understand is how shot weight factors into it. Is there some tensile strength that needs to be overcome and a heavy shell somehow crosses a threshold to do so?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

It sounds like you have a recoil operated action. It needs recoil to operate. If you shoot a light load, like 7/8 ounce of shot it has to be higher velocity to generate the recoil to operate it. Something like the Remington game loads 7/8 ounce a few years ago would probably work the action but they had a velocity of about 1390 fps. In short there is no exact rule for how much shot you need, or how much velocity. If your shot weight is low, the velocity has to be high, if the shot weight is high then the velocity can be low. recoil is determined by both shot charge and velocity.

The easy answer is, just try a box and see if it works.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:53 pm 
Crown Grade

That is....quite....a shotgun....perhaps an answer would best be found in the tactical forum.

Otherwise, fitting and trying a box, or16, shells would be a wise way to travel.
Shotshells do come in varying degrees of oomph, if that is indeed necessary for operation...or a bit of break in or cleaning may be a portion of the answer.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 5:03 pm 

neulago wrote:
Thank you for your help, I'm sorry for being dense. You (likely wholly unintentionally) shamed me into not knowing a greater amount about my own weapon and I attempted to find the answer I was seeking on my own, but am still coming up short. Consequently any further insight would be greatly appreciated, I hope I'm not committing any faux pas, I'm a new gun owner and beyond (possibly including) Cooper's rules probably in need of a great deal of correction/guidance.

I have an SRM-1216. The manual states:

"The firearm operates on a roller delayed blowback principal. When the trigger is pulled and a shell is fired, the force of the shell drives the bolt and carrier rearwards. This movement is delayed by the mechanical arrangement of the bolt until the pressure has dropped to a safe limit.

As the bolt travels rearward the fire shell is extracted and a new shell is released from the magazine onto the carrier for loading. Following recoil the bolt moves forward loading the next shell. After the last shell is fired the bolt locks in the rearmost position."

That additional information you furnished seems to have gotten you the answer that helps explain what you need and why.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 5:24 pm 
Limited Edition

Suggest contacting these guys and ask for Jeff or Warren;

https://www.idahobids.us/idaho-contract ... NE-INC.htm

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You have a PM