ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guns delivered USPS
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:46 am 
Tournament Grade

How long have any of you had a gun delayed in the mail and still recovered it? I have one with an expected delivery of Sept 14; there have been no updates since Sept 14.

It was shipped from Arizona to Los Angeles distribution and went cold after leaving there. It’s a long way to Louisiana.

At some point I guess I need to go to the post office - folks there do not I spire confidence - and try to figure out if it’s lost.

Post subject: Re: Guns delivered USPS
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:14 am 
Crown Grade

How was it shipped? If it was Priority Mail I would be going to check it out now. If it was sent Registered Mail, it can take extra time especially now, and the tracking will not be current.

If it was sent regular ground service, I would wait a bit longer but the post office can let you know what to expect. Ask for a supervisor if you get someone who is not helpful.

In any case, you have a tracking number and maybe the post office can do some additional tracking on their end. Again if it is Registered Mail, I would not be worried. It will suddenly show up, safe and sound. Tracking info is purposely not always current on Registered Mail.

Good luck and hopefully it will be in your hands shortly. Please let us know because it would be good information.

This has been my experience.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

I had one sent via Registered Mail from northern Virginia to upstate New York that languished at the mail facility at JFK International Airport for about 2 weeks. I thought it was lost and contacted USPS. The destination mail personnel were excellent in calling me back and keeping in touch with me until it eventually arrived. It took an extra 2 weeks, but it did arrive, safe and sound.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:04 pm 
Crown Grade

mpolans wrote:
I had one sent via Registered Mail from northern Virginia to upstate New York that languished at the mail facility at JFK International Airport for about 2 weeks. I thought it was lost and contacted USPS. The destination mail personnel were excellent in calling me back and keeping in touch with me until it eventually arrived. It took an extra 2 weeks, but it did arrive, safe and sound.

That can happen and from what I understand it is due to the fact that the package goes into a locked container for Registered Mail. Until someone who is authorized and has a key comes to pull it out it will just sit there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:24 pm 
Crown Grade

July 31, 2020, 2:26 pm - August 26, 2020, 3:55 pm.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:49 pm 
Limited Edition

mpolans wrote:

I had a similar experience with a MEC loader I purchased over the summer. It was shipped Priority Mail so I watched it progress from New England, then it disappeared. Just said "In route to next facility" or something to that effect.

I waited about 2 weeks then went in and talked to our small town Post Office, and the local Post Master said "Yea, there are a couple trucks backed up to the dock at the sorting facility that they didn't get to when they came in. Now they're just sitting because new trucks keep coming every day."

I gave it another week, then checked again and he gave me a "find lost mail" web page. I filled out the form with the tracking number, and the package showed up at my door 2 day s later.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

It’s retail ground with tracking. I feel somewhat better with a tracking number. I already filled out a form on line for the post office to track it down . Read an article last week that the LA sorting facility is a disaster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

I had a rifle leave arkansas, and go through Chicago....... 4 times.
then close to here, and go down south to salt lake 4 times before coming back again and finally being sorted out my direction.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:37 am 
Crown Grade

Hope you have better luck with your gun than I did with medicine. I ordered 4 prescription medicines from a company that I have used for years. They shipped it by DHL and it arrived in Georgia on July 6, 2020 at DHL. At that point it is supposed to be turned over to the USPS and finally delivered to me.
It stayed there and is still there according to online tracking. DHL does not answer my inquiry, the post office says the company probably never shipped the medicine and the company will not follow up with DHL.
I did get the company to replace the medicine at no charge but I still have not received the original order. Good luck with your gun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:31 am 
Field Grade

The post office delivery has become extremely slow in many cases since COVID. I have Had the same situations with more than a few packages that I have sent, or that have been sent to me. Even with Priority Mail. I have seen by the tracking information where packages sat at one location for a much longer than normal period. Most likely you’ll only be frustrated by going to the post office trying to determine your package status. I’d say give it a little more time, be patient and hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Over the last couple of months I've had 2 USPS packages that appeared to be stuck at one location for a week or two. I submitted the lost package form online and in both cases the package was on my doorstep the next day.

When you submit that form I believe it gets sent to the post master of your local post office to take steps to track it down and get it moving. If your local post office services a large community, it may take them awhile to work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

oyeme wrote:
How was it shipped? If it was Priority Mail I would be going to check it out now. If it was sent Registered Mail, it can take extra time especially now, and the tracking will not be current.

If it was sent regular ground service, I would wait a bit longer but the post office can let you know what to expect. Ask for a supervisor if you get someone who is not helpful.

In any case, you have a tracking number and maybe the post office can do some additional tracking on their end. Again if it is Registered Mail, I would not be worried. It will suddenly show up, safe and sound. Tracking info is purposely not always current on Registered Mail.

Good luck and hopefully it will be in your hands shortly. Please let us know because it would be good information.

You know, you are really knowledgeable at this stuff. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:24 pm 
Crown Grade

JoeCool wrote:
oyeme wrote:

You know, you are really knowledgeable at this stuff. Thanks.

Not really, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:30 pm 

Posts with political content or posts quoting those posts have been deleted because they belong in the politics section.
Postmaster general is appointed by the USPS board of Governors, not the prez.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

The Board appoints the Post Master General, but the President appoints the Board.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

Come to think of it, I had two packages take over 20 days to get to me, from like two states away.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I had a firearm shipped to me from Arizona, it reached Columbia, SC (one hour by road from me) and was then sent to an address in Indiana where it sat for one week before going back to Columbia where it sat for five days before being sent my way. USPS needs to be privatized.

NRA Life Member

"Profanity is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcefully"--author unknown
"This is a big f__king deal!"--Vice President Joe Biden

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:40 am 
Tournament Grade

Well I went to the post office personally yesterday. Folks told me if it’s retail ground don’t even pay attention to the delivery date. 2-3 weeks to arrive with a significant gap in updates. I assume it’s the ground component as it works it’s way from distribution center to distribution center. I feel somewhat better they didn’t seem concerned at all

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:58 am 
Crown Grade

There is also a combo shipping deal with UPS & USPS,I had 2- different package's starting out with a
UPS,tracking # and it gets transfered and delievered to my mail box,by the postal service.This only happened with small packages,not large ones,so it must be a cheaper way to deliever?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:50 am 
Crown Grade

I prefer to use FedEx or UPS when shipping guns. As private companies they are more motivated to get it right and meet customer expectations.