ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Guns delivered USPS
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:30 am 
Crown Grade

dcr5468 wrote:
Well I went to the post office personally yesterday. Folks told me if it’s retail ground don’t even pay attention to the delivery date. 2-3 weeks to arrive with a significant gap in updates. I assume it’s the ground component as it works it’s way from distribution center to distribution center. I feel somewhat better they didn’t seem concerned at all

Thanks for the update. I have never had a firearm shipped ground unless it was via Registered Mail. Hopefully, it will show up soon. I don't doubt it will.

Last edited by oyeme on Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:31 am 
Crown Grade

creeker, as I understand it, it is cheaper for the shipper to ship via companies like DHL who in turn drop it to the USPS for final delivery. The USPS gives a big break to these companies by charging them less than what we would have to pay. This is part of the fight in the government now regarding the Post Office. Of course, the USPS requires bar coding and other factors to get this discount.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:39 am 
Limited Edition

IMO it is the responsibility of the sender to get the gun to you. They send it. They should insure it. Go back to them for tracing of the whereabouts.

I have waited about 2 weeks for a gun that was lost in a PO where it never should have been sent. Finally got it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:09 pm 
Limited Edition

I have had three incoming packages drop off USPS tracking radar this year. The latest was shipped Sept 23rd for Sept 25th delivery , NC to North FL. Status revised to "late delivery" on the 26th and no record of package ever leaving distr. center Greenville, NC. On the 30th with no change in status I filed a trace on the package, explained the contents and that they could locate and deliver it or ATF could help them. It was moving 6 hrs later and delivered next day.

Just my experience,

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:45 am 
Field Grade

winmod21 wrote:
I prefer to use FedEx or UPS when shipping guns. As private companies they are more motivated to get it right and meet customer expectations.

That has certainly not been my experience. Quite the opposite, actually.

USPS all the way for me. Albeit, I can't ship shortguns through them, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:56 am 
Crown Grade

Thanks,albanygun,I was wondering about the USPS,deal as I was using the tracking #,this happened,
a couple of times,so it must be a standard deal,depending upon,the package size,of course?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:13 am 
Crown Grade

From what I read about FedEx SmartPost and UPS SurePost, the Post Office will deliver any package that meets the USPS size requirements.
And Goldens Always, why can't you ship shotguns through the PO? I have shipped them back for repair through the USPS several times.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:41 am 
Diamond Grade

Goldens Always said "shortguns" - handguns cannot be shipped by an individual by USPS.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:53 am 
Crown Grade

Oops, missed the "r" in shortguns.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:19 pm 
Crown Grade

FlyChamps wrote:
Goldens Always said "shortguns" - handguns cannot be shipped by an individual by USPS.

That is true but in my experience the way around that and still avoid paying the usury rates charged by UPS for Overnight delivery that they charge, is to ship from an FFL to an FFL. Using an "If If Fits It Ships" medium size box and Priority Mail only costs $15.00 sans insurance which I never use. After paying the local FFL you should only pay about $40 to ship. Compare that to UPS.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Literally just arrived today. A full month

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:03 pm 
Field Grade

Anything sent by registered mail through the USPS will be subject to significant delays. Only certain USPS personnel can handle registered items, and those people are supposedly held accountable for their loss. Registered items can get stuck in limbo waiting for the next qualified person to move it on.

Personally, I've always had better luck with UPS. No offence to the post office.............my mother, sister and brother-in-law are all post masters, but I wouldn't use them to ship my guns.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Goldens Always wrote:
winmod21 wrote:
I prefer to use FedEx or UPS when shipping guns. As private companies they are more motivated to get it right and meet customer expectations.

That has certainly not been my experience. Quite the opposite, actually.

USPS all the way for me. Albeit, I can't ship shortguns through them, unfortunately.

I’m a Golden guy too!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

How can you ship a gun via USPS? I thought it was illegal to bring a firearm into a federal office/building. Yet, I also see this from the (illegal) ATF:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-non ... al-service

What does this mean?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:21 am 
Limited Edition

Wowzer wrote:
How can you ship a gun via USPS? I thought it was illegal to bring a firearm into a federal office/building. Yet, I also see this from the (illegal) ATF:

What does this mean?

Thanks.

Don’t know what to tell you. I have received guns from retailers by USPS.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Everything is running slow-UPS,USPS and FedEx.So many people sitting home with money coming in and bored or want to feel bettet are buying everything you can think of.

With USPS,for unlicensed you "can" ship long guns (to a FFL),however you may need to prove it to a untrained clerk. If you ship ground it can well take a long time to get there.

For hand guns-unless your a dealer(they can go USPS,I use Priority only,with a form 1508 filled out and "trained" PO,even then if I get a new clerk I have to retrain them,),they must go common carrier. I have found in some instances the FedEx Express saver is even better then USPS Priority pricewise and delivery times with handguns.

For long guns,I use both UPS and FedEx ground,I double box and lots of bubble wrap , the tracking is better and even thou recently its been slower it much faster then USPS Ground.
Anyone can set up a FedEx or UPS account and have the package p/u-best way to go unless you take it to a hub. You can not take it to a shipping store.

I ship over 100 guns a year and thats been my experience.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:09 am 
Crown Grade

dcr5468 wrote:
Literally just arrived today. A full month

It received in the condition you expected; it's a case of all is well that ends well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

Wowzer wrote:

What does this mean?

Thanks.

A non-FFL can only use the US Postal Service to mail long-guns (shotguns and rifles)...NOT handguns.
A non-FFL can use a "common carrier" (FedEX, UPS, DHL) to ship long guns AND handguns (but see common carrier's business requirements).

The key thing to know is that in all of the above cases, when any firearm is mailed or shipped, the *RECIPIENT* must be an FFL. There are a couple narrow exceptions for when a non-FFL sends a gun to a manufacturer for warranty/repair and they send it (or a replacement firearm) back directly to the non-FFL's address.

Last edited by mpolans on Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

mpolans wrote:
Wowzer wrote:

What does this mean?

Thanks.
The key thing to know is that in all of the above cases, when any firearm is mailed or shipped, the *RECIPIENT* must be an FFL. There are a couple narrow exceptions for when a non-FFL sends a gun to a manufacturer for warranty/repair and they send it back directly to the non-FFL's address. Note that this isn't for when your gun breaks and you send it to a random gunsmith...it applies when it's being sent to the gun's manufacturer/repair center.

Regarding your final sentence beginning with "Note" - That's not correct. You may send your firearm for repair or modification to ANY gunsmith who has an FFL and they can return it directly to you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

FlyChamps wrote:
mpolans wrote:
Wowzer wrote:

What does this mean?

Thanks.
The key thing to know is that in all of the above cases, when any firearm is mailed or shipped, the *RECIPIENT* must be an FFL. There are a couple narrow exceptions for when a non-FFL sends a gun to a manufacturer for warranty/repair and they send it back directly to the non-FFL's address. Note that this isn't for when your gun breaks and you send it to a random gunsmith...it applies when it's being sent to the gun's manufacturer/repair center.

Regarding your final sentence beginning with "Note" - That's not correct. You may send your firearm for repair or modification to ANY gunsmith who has an FFL and they can return it directly to you.

I double-checked this and you're right. I stand corrected and will amend my post above.