ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: my new 24" benelli nova shoots high. options?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:49 pm 
Field Grade

I just took a few shoots with my new nova to check the pattern and found it shoots high. the further back I shoot from the higher the shot goes. what are my options for bringing point of impact down? I took these shoots off sand bags looking straight down the rib with the small mid bead directly behind the front bead, exactly how Benelli website says they check guns before they leave the factory. I was aiming at the white sticker on the targets and circled where the pattern was most dense. second picture is 40 yards with one shot of longbeard #5 and carlsons .675 turkey choke (11" too high) and 2 shots with Winchester slugs with IC choke. first picture is 25 yards only one shot on this target #7 steel dove load IC choke (7" too high)....every shot with both chokes are high, and why are my 2 slug holes lower than my longbeard shot pattern? I don't know why pictures are showing up sideways....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: my new 24" benelli nova shoots high. options?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:16 pm 
Limited Edition

I owned a Nova for a short time and had the same problem.
Had to aim at a turkeys breast to hit him in the head and the forearm rattled to much for a turkey gun.
When I missed a duck sitting on the water at 30 yards (shot over him) I put up for sale the next day.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:51 pm 
Limited Edition

Does it have shims to adjust the drop and cast? Have you tried patterning while holding the shotgun in the same position you would shoot from while hunting? I'm not sure about shooting from sandbags with a shotgun using bead sights... seems like I would be trying to move myself around the shotgun too much to line up the shot, instead of just bringing it up to my shoulder naturally.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Besides the above suggestions, have you had a friend try it as well to rule out your form or fit?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:53 pm 
Field Grade

I had a Nova and I don’t remember there being a space between the stock and receiver to shim it. Every Benelli I ever owned shot high. The semis had adjustments to help but slugs were 12” high at 30 yards. Even after adjusting it all I could I still had to aim low with birdshot and slugs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:55 pm 
Field Grade

well im sure its not a fit issue as I am shooting it exactly like a rifle off the sand bags and viewing perfectly down the rib with the small mid bead directly behind the front bead, replicating the sight picture they show you on the Benelli website.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:31 pm 
Limited Edition

Actually, per Benelli specs, it looks like you are right on. Up to 5" above point of aim at 20 yards... you got 7" at 25 yards. If you can't shim it, then use a larger bead up front.

https://www.benelliusa.com/support/faq

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

put a higher front sight on it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

Like noted above, you have to raise your front sight. Here is an easy way. Get a little piece of balsa wood, cut it to the size of the width of the vent rib, so it can sit on the rib. Make it so that it is about something like 3/16 inch tall sitting there. Just press it over the bead, so the bead is holding it in place. Now shoot it at paper, or cardboard box, or pattern board, and see where it impacts. It probably now shoots low. If still shooting high, you did not make it thick enough. So if shooting low, sand off about a millimeter and try again. When you get it to where it impacts exactly where you want, you now measure how thick it is, how much you raised the front site. Now you can make up a permanent replacement from hard wood, or plastic, or steel or whatever. Put a hole in it that will house the bead. Now epoxy that block onto the rib over the bead. You can leave it same color or paint it yellow, green, black, whatever your heart desires, and you have a perfectly regulated gun. If you ever want to remove it, boil some water, place the muzzle in the boiling water, heat soak the area for a minute or so and the epoxy turns to mush at about 200 degrees, and you pull the block off. No need to get a new gun, just make this one work right.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:38 pm 
Field Grade

ok. thank you guys for the suggestions. I recon I could just learn to float the birds too, im just not used to doing that and my recent dove hunting trips prove it. I got 10 doves opening day with my Mossberg 500 (shoots pretty flat), and have done nothing but miss with the new Benelli. I really like everything about the gun...except the POI, and want to make it work. I may try building up the front sight too. and maybe use adjustable rib mount sights for turkeys.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:57 am 
Crown Grade

JoeCool wrote:
Like noted above, you have to raise your front sight. Here is an easy way. Get a little piece of balsa wood, cut it to the size of the width of the vent rib, so it can sit on the rib. Make it so that it is about something like 3/16 inch tall sitting there. Just press it over the bead, so the bead is holding it in place. Now shoot it at paper, or cardboard box, or pattern board, and see where it impacts. It probably now shoots low. If still shooting high, you did not make it thick enough. So if shooting low, sand off about a millimeter and try again. When you get it to where it impacts exactly where you want, you now measure how thick it is, how much you raised the front site. Now you can make up a permanent replacement from hard wood, or plastic, or steel or whatever. Put a hole in it that will house the bead. Now epoxy that block onto the rib over the bead. You can leave it same color or paint it yellow, green, black, whatever your heart desires, and you have a perfectly regulated gun. If you ever want to remove it, boil some water, place the muzzle in the boiling water, heat soak the area for a minute or so and the epoxy turns to mush at about 200 degrees, and you pull the block off. No need to get a new gun, just make this one work right.

That'd the carpenter's solution. The millwright's solution is to saw and file out the first post on the rib, jamb a shim underneath to tweak the front of rib skyward a touch, then silver-solder the shim in place.

Or just buy a longer barrel. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:09 am 
Diamond Grade

Or just slide one of these on the rib. The magnets raise the height of the bead. And they are on sale :)
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005814545?pid=139552

Richard Baxter (1615-1691), Directions Against Covetousness
"Be more careful to use what you have, than to get more."

Kingsley Brown "Shoot more, shop less."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What is it with so many Benellis shooting high?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:19 pm 
Limited Edition

lossking wrote:
What is it with so many Benellis shooting high?

It is by design... from the link I posted above.

"Benelli shotguns are designed to place a higher percentage of the shot pattern slightly above the point-of-aim. This patterning design has proven deadly on waterfowl, upland birds and clays for decades and gives hunters the advantage of a more open sight picture. Less barrel covering up your target means better visibility. By design, this equates to the center of the overall shot pattern being a few inches above the point-of-aim."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:24 am 
Limited Edition

I have to laugh when I see people suggest a larger bead, or adding a magnetic high viz sight, because most good wingshooters don't even notice the bead when they shoot. If you are trying to aim using the bead as a sight, then you aren't concentrating on the target as you should.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:39 am 
Diamond Grade

It is true that many shooters don't notice a bead. The story is often told, my bead fell off and I did not notice, and I never did replace it. A typical bead is quite small. Beyond that, the shooter may actually use the entire rib as his reference point. In effect the rib is his sight or put another way, it is the thing that lets the brain know where the gun is pointing. So putting a larger bead on there may not help, if it is still small and easy to not notice. As the bead gets larger and higher though it becomes more difficult for the brain to not notice it. Putting a high viz elevated site on there could actually make you shoot lower because first it is elevated by about 1/16 inch. That elevated part is black and matches the same color of the rib, black. That means it will seamlessly blend in with the rib and is perceived pretty much as just more rib. That small step up in elevation will lower the point of impact slightly, and the high viz part might be harder for the brain to disregard because it is so highly visible, especially if it is green. The human eye has more green cones than red or blue, and this makes green the most visible to the human eye, and going even further, your cones are what gives you precision vision, and they are located most densely at center vision. That is why you have to focus on anything to see it well. Center vision has the most dense population of cones, and greens ones are the most numerous. Center vision is also where you are focused on the target and the entire aiming/pointing exercise is all about putting that rib/site in the right relation to the target and all of this is in center vision. These facts all agree, that the high viz type sight probably will work to move point of impact lower. How much? You probably have to try it to find out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:57 pm 
Limited Edition

stubblejumper wrote:
I have to laugh when I see people suggest a larger bead, or adding a magnetic high viz sight, because most good wingshooters don't even notice the bead when they shoot. If you are trying to aim using the bead as a sight, then you aren't concentrating on the target as you should.

Looks like the OP's intended use is turkey hunting, not wing shooting. For wingshooting, I agree, but turkey hunting is a different animal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:18 am 
Presentation Grade

If you are going to be using the gun where you are primarily aiming it at your target (deer/turkey) as opposed to pointing it (waterfowl/upland), then you might consider putting a red dot sight on it where you can adjust POI up or down as you want. If this is your do it all gun, then the fact that it is set up to shoot high makes it the wrong tool to use for turkeys if you would be removing the sight if and when using for flying objects. I have a Rem 870 with three different barrels that makes it my quacker whacker and my deer dropper (among other things)

https://youtu.be/6-sL_kJVQDI

NRA Life Member

Last edited by jerrys on Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:52 am 
Limited Edition

jerrys wrote:
I have a Rem 870 with three different barrels that makes it my quaker whacker and my deer dropper (among other things)

Why are you shooting Quakers? They seem like good folks! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:04 am 
Presentation Grade

cyphertext71 wrote:
jerrys wrote:
I have a Rem 870 with three different barrels that makes it my quaker whacker and my deer dropper (among other things)

Why are you shooting Quakers? They seem like good folks! :lol:

Damn autocorrect!!!

NRA Life Member